Help? Calorie Intake

Options
Hi all,
So I have been using MFP for about a month or so and I'm seeing great results; I have lost 23 lbs so far.

When I hit that 20 lbs down mark MFP asked me if i wanted to up my calorie intake to 1500
I said no and kept it at 1200 (When it should have been at 1400 in the first place).
The past two weeks I have hit a plateau.

I started to 30DS last week (along with the simple cardio I already do)
and can see some changes myself but the scale doesn't agree.

Should I up my calorie intake or stay the same?
Any suggestions would be great :wink:

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Firstly, 2 weeks isn't really a plateau. Small stalls like that happen sometimes, it's nothing to worry about. Just keep with what you're doing and usually it'll start again. If it doesn't, you may want to up your calorie intake depending on how close you are to your goal. And you'll definitely want to up it if you don't eat back your exercise calories, you should try not to dip below 1200 net calories a day. A commen suggestion is to work out your TDEE (there are plenty of calculators if you search Google) and eat 80% of that.

But ultimately I think it depends how you feel. I ate at 1200 for ages, and am currently going for between 1200 and 1400 an I'm about 6lbs off my goal. I don't feel hungry or anything or like I really need to increase them. Plus, if I set my TDEE activity level to sedentary (which I pretty much am most days), 80% is 1270 anyway, so it's not like it's a tiny amount for me. A lot of people here hate the 1200 recommendation, but for some people it works.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A plateau is generally defined as 4-6+ weeks without a loss. Two weeks is well within the normal fluctuations you're going to see.

It's not uncommon to see no change or even a slight gain on the scale when you start a new exercise routine or increase an old one. Our bodies flood sore muscles with water to help cushion and repair them, masking any fat loss that's happening.

If you're using MFP's system, make sure you're logging your exercise and eating back at least some of those earned exercise calories. You need them to help fuel and repair your body while you're working out.

And remember, that as you get closer to goal the weight will come off slower. Set less aggressive goals (1 pound a week or even a half pound instead of 2) as you near your goal. Your body may not be able to keep up with dropping two pounds a week anymore and it will fight you if you try.
  • indiebreadkid
    indiebreadkid Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am not close to my goal weight yet I still have around 60lbs left to lose.
    I usually lose around 1-2 lbs a week and I've been the same for 3 weeks now
    and I do eat some of the exercise calories back as well.