Do you drink coffee?

Options
I normally drink regular cokes but since I'm back on track it hurts to use that many calories on a drink. I used to drink a lot and was trying to cut back some but have been having awful headaches almost daily for nearly 2 months. This afternoon I tried a skinny caramel latte and OMG, it was amazing and my headache was gone within 30 mins. I know it has more caffeine in it but it had less than half the calories of my 20oz coke and sugar and suppressed my appetite for hours! I'm just wondering if I should quit while I'm ahead though and not even start with the coffee.

Replies

• ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    It isn't the coffee that is the issue, it is the milk and calorie laden additions like flavoured syrup. So yes, I drink heaps of caffeine. I do intermittent fasting and it helps on fast days.

I drink coke zero and macchiatos- they are very low in calories. I used to drink coffee with milk and two sugars, but I weaned myself off it gradually.
  • SweetKisses1988
    Options
    I drink coffee mainly in the mornings - but I don't get it from Starbucks or McDonalds. I mainly just drink it at home so I can measure out my creamer and keep under my calories ... plus it helps me tremendously with my headaches as well!!! But everyone is different :) Just my take!
  • CometMeebru
    Options
    a caramel latte is probably the farthest thing from "coffee"

brb simple syrup
    brb caramel flavor shot
    brb no thanks jeff

get a double espresso and dont add any sugar
    thats real coffee
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm not a regular drinker, so anything hot with caffeine in it I call coffee lol. I would like to be able to drink just black coffee but I'm definitely not there yet!

ETA: Not sure how much more of the headaches I can push through, unless i have a breakthrough soon. It makes me a mean person. I'd like to not need the caffeine but I'm afraid it's too late for that.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every day, but drink it black and it only has 5 calories per cup. It is a great beverage but no substitute for water as far as weight loss is concerned. I work the night shift and it helps keep me awake.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have a minimum of 2 cappuccinos a day (most I make at home). The milk actually helps me reach my protein goal for the day, and if wasnt drinking it in my coffee, I would be drinking it as straight milk anyway.

Nothing wrong with coffee as long as you can make the 'extras' fit your calories and macros.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-3 cups a day with cream and sugar.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I can drink a whole big carafe of coffee on my own in one morning. I'm never giving it up nor do I think I ever should. :glasses:
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse that switched to days maybe a year ago and I still struggle with getting up so early. It literally takes me half my shift to finally get with it, but after I drank that latte today I was like a new, happy person! Nearly all of my co-workers drink coffee or Starbucks and I've been the odd ball.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    As far as I'm concerned coffee is the nectar of the gods. The perfect drink all on its own ... you don't need cream, sugar or flavorings. Just perfect on its own!
  • SunnyLu3
    Options
    I gave up coffee for a while, and really I don't think it was very helpful. I think it's important not to overdo the caffeine but I never saw the benefit in completely giving it up. It's up to you, though... a personal choice. I stick to 1 a day in the morning to get going, especially when schedule changes happen... I just wanted to share my coffee that I make because I think it is delicious... though you could make it with brewed coffee instead if you're not lazy like me :))

My wonderful iced coffee I have almost every day:

pour about 8-10 oz COLD water 16 oz glass
    vigorously stir in about 1 serving instant coffee powder
    add 8-12 drops of plain or flavored liquid stevia (depending on how sweet you like it. I use creamy vanilla or chocolate) & stir
    add about 4 oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    Stir and add in ice cubes.

15-30 calories depending on how much almond milk you put in and what brand you buy (it typically has 30-40 calories per 8 oz serving and more calcium than cow's milk)

The stevia seems expensive but a little bottle lasts a LONG time because you only use a little bit at a time.

I take it with me in a spillproof mug as well. Who needs Starbucks? :)
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    All mornings, cup of coffee + 2 tbsp half and half (the real stuff) = 45 calories.
    Some afternoons, iced latte with skim milk = 120 calories.

I used to drink them sweetened, switched to sugar-free syrups and then to no sweetener. I don't miss it at all.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Actually I would drink coffee even if I didn't work nights--just love the flavor. When I started drinking it, I added a little whole milk, but learned to love it black. We make it at home with 40% maxwell house and 60% starbucks french roast grounds using a Mr. Coffee brewer. It is so delicious!
  • rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i have coffee in the AM but it's just instant with some powdered creamer. comes to less than 30(?) calories.. i'm not sure, it's so negligible, i don't even bother to be exact about it...

if you've just started working out, it could be that your headaches are coming from that, and the caffeine is just helping quell them... staying wayyy hydrated and stretching your neck can help.. look up "exercise headaches" online if you think it might be the case and want some more advice on how to help prevent then... i just started working out and had a few of those kind of headaches... just a thought

anyway i'm definitely a fan of coffee, can't imagine waking up without it :)
  • Leighjr
    Leighjr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking coffee all day everyday since the early 90's .. I prefer pepsi so i drink pepsi max.

I have 2 tassimo machine's for things like cadburys hot chocolate, costa's etc for instant coffee, various types of Douwe Egberts.

I worked out what 1 cup totals to and have that setup.
  • delyn356
    delyn356 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i love coffee!! i drink it every morning. i used to only be able to drink lattes (so lots of milk & sugar...), and i gradually weaned myself into drinking black coffee. i gradually reduced the amount of milk i put into it, and started drinking black coffee with a little sugar since it was too bitter at first, but now i prefer black coffee.

if you're like me and need caffeine to function, try to gradually ease yourself into drinking black coffee over lattes & whatnot since it'll save you a lot in calories that you can use on food that will be more filling (:
  • hagatron4
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with coffee unless you're either having too much, or having it with heaps of milk and sugar. I have one every morning before breakfast, with around 2tbs of milk and half a sugar. Coffee acts as an appetite suppressant so if you use it correctly it will help you control your hunger.
  • Flabulousss
    Options
    Just drink it black. Personally I think sugar ruins it, but I know I'm in the minority on that. I also drink loads of black tea, which I find even better. Maybe look into yerba mate.