Disaster

Options
I don't know if anyone else feels this but, I have been working hard, I goto the gym everyday and eat good food, but last night I ate 2 sausage sandwiches (4 sausages and 4 slices of bread), I put the sausages in the oven but I used white bread and mayo and margarine. I feel so guilty and that what i have been doing at the gym is a waste, I feel like I have just gained all the weight back on for having those sandwiches.

How do people cope?

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I learned that I shouldn't ever feel guilty and that a disaster isn't that.
    Log it, move on.

Look these two sandwiches fully loaded can't be more than 1000 calories each. At the very worst.
    Not even the potential for a pound.

Eat a little less in the week. It evens out.

It's about long term fitness - not the little slip-ups.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Just log it and move on. It's a life style change and those take time. Maybe next time you have a craving like this have one sandwich rather then two and take your time eating it. Ultimately you gain little if you deny yourself all the time, because if you do, chances are you start resenting the new life and eventually go back to your old life.

Once you eat 'good' in terms of portion size and cal content it actually becomes more difficult or unpleasant to eat what you used to eat for example: I had birthday cake today, not a big slice, but half a slice and I did budget for it, but it did make me feel uncomfortably full, probable because I have not had any creamy cakes or slices for a while.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Lets try getting some perspective here. How many calories were in the sandwiches? How far over your calorie goal did they push you?
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like that but these things happen. Just log it and move on! You already ate it and hopefully enjoyed it! Just carry on eating healthy, drinking water and exercising. This is a lifestyle change not a diet :)
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    You need to look at this a little different. It's not a disaster. Far from it! It was a guilty pleasure that you earned. You didn't waste your time at the gym. You made it possible to eat this food without having a coronary. :-)

Seriously though, once the sodium gets out of your system, you'll find that if you get back on track tomorrow, it didn't really set you back that far. EvgeniZyntx (The big blue meanie) summed it up best. Those sandwiches can't be more than 1000 calories each and that's not even a pound. The sodium will pack on weight for a few days but it's nothing a few days and the gym and a good cardio workout won't correct. Then it's back to work and back on schedule. Consider it a challenge, not a disaster.
  • paradisechaser
    Options
    Thanks guys, as I worked of 493 calories at the gym my daily calorie intake yesterday was 2403, I went over it by 13.

I didn't mean to sound dramatic, I just want this so bad.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open so I can't see what you've been eating over the last few days, but I reckon getting a sudden irresistible urge to eat like that usually means that you're going at the diet/ exercise combo too hard & you've cut too much.

Your slight hunger on day one of the new "strict diet" becomes bigger and bigger til you eat the food your body is craving. Then you feel you've blown it and you might as well empty the fridge with a fry-up, make a cake and eat the lot, then go out and get chips! Been there, done most of it.

I suggest you go for a slower weight loss target - a diet that you can stick to for months is going to win over one that you can only keep up for a few days at a time.

I feel that if I "creep up on myself" and diet slowly my "irrational brain" that suddenly shouts "FEED ME! FEED ME NOW!!!!" doesn't notice that I'm dieting and stays asleep. Does that sound odd? It works for me.
  • barbz2119
    barbz2119 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    And you will get what you want if yu stick at it.
    As everyone above said, log it and move on. The worse thing you can do is think oh well I blew it and just give up. Ive found using MFP to log I can eat what I want, the weight may come off slower, but I'm not depriving myself and I feel this way it will be a lifelong commitment that I can stick to.
    Keep doing what you are doing and good luck!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, as I worked of 493 calories at the gym my daily calorie intake yesterday was 2403, I went over it by 13.

Btw. Don't worry about 13 or 130 calories. It's not a science of exactness. I wouldn't consider it significantly going over.
    If you want it bad, you want it to last, right?
    It's not a day that counts but the habits that last - I bet your week will be good, and then you month, and then your year...

Careful with the gumption traps - this was one!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumption_trap
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Sounds ace to me, I feel hungry now.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You wanted it. You had it. If you have been sticking to your diet, your digestive system will be shocked by it, and you are rethinking it. AKA stomach craps. You may do more long term harm by not having it. About 3 weeks ago, I wanted a cheese burger and fries. I don't mean Mcd's or BK, I mean a good one. Went to Logan's and had one. Ate about a 1/3 of it as is, then only the rest of the patty, and about 4 or 5 shoe string fries. I paid for that later. Stomach cramped for about 2 hours. First couple of bites were outstanding. Look at your weekly, as opposed to your daily stats. That will give you a better picture of where you stand.
  • fabtofat
    fabtofat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I actually did something similar yesterday. I was stressing at work and had a bag of lays crisps and then felt bad about it. However, the thing to remember is that you have done it, so log it and move on. You can make it up in next couple of days and you were only up by 13 calories. Sometimes you just need to do what you need to do - just don't make a habit of it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

you need to be 3500 calories over your TDEE to gain a pound. Your calorie goal is lower than your TDEE, if you set it to lose 1lb a week it's 500 lower than your TDEE. 13 cals over is nothing. In fact, I wouldn't even call that over.... it's better to aim to *hit* your calorie goal rather than be under it (undereating can sabotage you) and give yourself an error margin either way, e.g. aim to hit your goal within 50 or 100 cals either way (depending on how strict you need to be)
  • tcb4tlc
    Options
    Changing bad habits takes a lot of time. You should try not to feel too guilty - because it doesn't help, you are more likely to do it again because you feel bad. That can be a vicious circle. I try to understand why I ate too much of something. Did I try to do too much to fast? Am I realistic about my calorie needs? Or whatever. I have just started to care about myself again which is why I have joined. But I lost 100 pounds and when I did that I tried to be very positive to myself and realistic. You fell off your wagon, figure it why, to help for next time, and take a deep breath and keep going.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Sausages sandwiches in themselves are not inherently bad. Sure, there are better choices that would be more filling and/or nutritious for your calorie buck, but sausage sandwich calories are not more fattening than celery calories, and you only went over by 13. Next time, just have one sausage sandwich and throw the guilt in the bin.

Guilt is more damaging than a sausage, I promise you.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Sounds like you're holding on a little too tight.

Give yourself a break, really - I have a blowout every couple of weeks (eg 2,000ish over yesterday) and I'm still losing.

Look at the big picture and don't put too much strain on your willpower - it's a finite resource. :-)

Good luck! xx
  • paradisechaser
    Options
    Thanks. I am over it now and will be less harsh on myself in the future. I appreciate the support.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's been quite a few threads recently in the forum for maintainers where it's obvious people have developed really unhealthy relationships with food. The phrases "scared to eat more", "bad foods", "worried I'll gain if I eat more" keep coming up.

Despite getting to goal weight it's not made them happy and it appears to have ruined any enjoyment from food.

Yes be determined, but don't yet that determination get obsessive and silly.

Enjoy the sandwich and maybe just tuck away the thought that one would have been better than two.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I just stumbled across a girl who is suffering bacteria meningitis and has had her limbs cut off.. If eating a few extra calories one day is the worst thing to happen to you, then you are very lucky.
  • cmsmj1
    cmsmj1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't fret about it mate - you'll want some HP brown sauce next time instead of mayo and you cannot go far wrong.

When I started on MFP I had some really see-saw days - eating under target* in the week and then a sneaky few beers...then a load of fodder and some more beers... My weekly bar chart was up and down like a rabbit's *kitten*.

A few months later - I have it much more under control, it is much easier to log, to weigh and to judge my calories and if I decide to have a fairly large calorie pile up I know that it is not going to matter. My lifestyle has changed, the direction of my weight loss has been losing weight and so I don't mind.

Stick to it, give it a month..