shall I update my weight?

Options
Just a quick question really on the psychological side of losing weight.

I'd recently gained a few kilos in weight and hit a wall, lost my mojo etc, but I've started again and my head is in a good place and ready to attack my weight problem once again.

So what is the best way to go about it - update my weight as it is now or keep my own personal record and then start logging it on MFP when I get back to where my recorded weight was before I went off the rails?

Have any of you had this problem before and what did you do and are you happy with the results?

I have to say that I am not in denial of the weight I gained, I'm just trying to find the best way of moving forward.

Replies

• jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    log your weight because it is your weight. Then move forword. Simple.
  • MrsSausage58
    MrsSausage58 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I personally don't log gains (although, thinking about it I don't really know why!) but I know my last recorded weight on MFP so as soon as it goes below that I log another loss. Whatever works for you though really. :flowerforyou:
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am one of those who, after a long time, am heavier than I started, coming back to MFP to save me. Heh. Lots of water under the bridge since I joined, so what to do?

I have left my original start weight as it was but obviously have logged my current weight. The original weight is a kind of bench-mark to me. It's now sadly my first rewardable goal. :)

Edit: that's not what you mean, is it. Yes, I'd go ahead and log the current weight. If you start playing mental games with yourself I think it ends in tears. I weigh myself once a week and track that weight, and it shows on my stats.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    been there done that! its best to adjust your weight to what it currently is, I know its seems horrible but at least when you next see a loss you'll feel more of a reward seeing that on your newsfeed :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I log all changes in my weight. Usually, I won't log a gain unless it sticks around for a week.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    If you record the new weight, then you'll get credit for all your losses, which will be a real bonus.
    If you keep the old weight, then when you get back down there and can record a loss, it will feel amazing!

I lost 12 lbs, had a big gap (about 6 months) and had gained 3 lbs back. I registered that gain and then revelled in it when I lost them again. It only took a week, but it was nice to see anyway.

I weigh daily and do not record gains simply because I don't want all my lovely friends to WOOHOO me for losing water weight put on due to an ill advise packet of crisps, so, when I record a loss, it's a genuine loss. I've never kept a gain longer than 2 weeks. If I did, I might consider logging it here.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    been there done that! its best to adjust your weight to what it currently is, I know its seems horrible but at least when you next see a loss you'll feel more of a reward seeing that on your newsfeed :)
    Totally agree - it is unpleasant when we gain but once you get back into it and see the pounds coming off again it lifts the spirits! It also means you are not deluding yourself but accepting that sometimes it takes us longer to achieve goals!
  • sukifr
    sukifr Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much :flowerforyou:

It's clear that the best way to move forward is to log my current weight. I will do this tomorrow and do my damndest to get back to where I was.

Yep I agree that by actually watching all this extra rubbish I've just added to my body disappear from the scales, will give me I better feeling than seeing nothing happen for yet another week or two.

Gonna charge the batteries in the scales ready for tomorrow :wink:
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If it was just a couple of pounds I wouldn't, but a few Kilos I would.