Coconut Oil

Options
Just made my egg white omelet today using Coconut Oil (from Trader Joe's).....

If you like coconut, you got to try it.......
Really good.

Replies

• samanthamel6
    samanthamel6 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    AND really good for you! Use it to cook with, eat plain, put on skin and in hair. Amazing!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    The egg whites probably thanked you as well.:wink:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    :happy:
    its great.

Love it
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    been doing this for awhile now. actually try and use Coconut Oil for everything when I am cooking...
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I use it but never noticed a difference in taste. I like it that it's supposed to better for your skin.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I use it but never noticed a difference in taste. I like it that it's supposed to better for your skin.

Make sure you get the stuff that's not refined. Refining removes the coconut flavor from the oil. Trader Joe's is a good unrefined coconut oil for a good price ($6 or so for a 16oz jar vs Nutiva's $25 for a 32oz jar).
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I find a certain irony to cooking egg whites in coconut oil, since you're removing the fats and cholesterol from the yolk only to add fats back in.

Any particular reason you're not doing whole eggs?
  • MityMax96
    Options

Make sure you get the stuff that's not refined. Refining removes the coconut flavor from the oil. Trader Joe's is a good unrefined coconut oil for a good price ($6 or so for a 16oz jar vs Nutiva's $25 for a 32oz jar).

Yep, ^^This.

Unrefined keeps the scent and slight flavor.
    Refined takes it out.

I have tried a couple different types, and I like Trader Joe's the best.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I find a certain irony to cooking egg whites in coconut oil, since you're removing the fats and cholesterol from the yolk only to add fats back in.

It's the dreaded cholesterol and bad fat and..........
  • MityMax96
    Options

Go read up on coconut/mct oil.
    Your body does not take it in.....it passes right through, not to mention it possibly helps burn fat.

I do egg whites because I can pour it in a measuring cup and get 1 and 1/2 cup of pure protein.

And I don't feel like cracking open that many eggs.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Your body does not take it in.....it passes right through, not to mention it possibly helps burn fat.

I do egg whites because I can pour it in a measuring cup and get 1 and 1/2 cup of pure protein.

It passes right through what exactly?
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Hits blood stream, no entry to digestive system.
    Good source of energy.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa23.htm
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Read here also.
    More bullet point style info.

http://www.leanandmuscular.org/mct-oil.php
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Good source of energy.

No. These are digested in the GI track, then through the portal vain delivered to the liver, where it is then hits the mitochondria and then oxidized primarily for energy. There is no free ride, if your over your calorie limit, they will be stored just like any other fat, and if someone is in a deficit any fat consumed will be burned off, one way or the other.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

I know all sorts of information about coconut oil, I'm an avid user, myself. However, usually the people I see eating just egg whites do so because they think the fats/cholesterol in the yolk are bad for you. This makes it funny when they turn around and replace it with saturated fat (never mind the fact that it's nearly all medium-chain, which as you also pointed out, is essentially pure energy, and is all sorts of beneficial). It's why I asked about your omission of egg yolks and not about your inclusion of coconut oil.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I have just gotten used to doing without yolks....don't particularly care for them....

I will eat them from time-to-time when I boil my eggs....

But the cholesterol thing is not my concern with them.
    My last blood test I took in August came back with good numbers, no concern from my doctor.
    So I don't care.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Good source of energy.

No. These are digested in the GI track, then through the portal vain delivered to the liver, where it is then hits the mitochondria and then oxidized primarily for energy. There is no free ride, if your over your calorie limit, they will be stored just like any other fat, and if someone is in a deficit any fat consumed will be burned off, one way or the other.

Ok

I will go with the info I have read on the stuff.....
    But you may be right.
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of coconut and don't really like the taste of it in food... I love coconut oil but use it flavorless...
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I added this to Slimming World's chicken curry recipe (made with chick pea dahl) it totally changed the taste of the dish so I do one night normal then the next with coconut oil just to add variety to my menu.

Will give your suggestion a try :smile:
  • MityMax96
    Options

I know all sorts of information about coconut oil, I'm an avid user, myself. However, usually the people I see eating just egg whites do so because they think the fats/cholesterol in the yolk are bad for you. This makes it funny when they turn around and replace it with saturated fat (never mind the fact that it's nearly all medium-chain, which as you also pointed out, is essentially pure energy, and is all sorts of beneficial). It's why I asked about your omission of egg yolks and not about your inclusion of coconut oil.

I think we are both right and saying basically the same thing...found a better write-up on the process.

http://www.foodsmatter.com/nutrition_micronutrition/essential_fatty_acids/articles/coconut_oil_fife.html
    MCTs are processed differently. When we eat a fat containing MCTs, such as coconut oil, it travels through the stomach and into the small intestine. But since MCTs digest quickly, by the time they leave the stomach and enter the intestinal tract they are already broken down into individual fatty acids (MCFAs). Therefore they do not need pancreatic enzymes or bile for digestion. Since they are already reduced to fatty acids as they enter the small intestine, they are immediately absorbed into the portal vein and sent straight to the liver. In the liver they are preferentially used as a source of fuel to produce energy. MCFAs bypass the lipoprotein stage in the intestinal wall and in the liver. They do not circulate in the bloodstream to the degree that other fats do. Therefore, they do not supply the fat that collects in fat cells nor do they supply the fat that collects in artery walls. MCFAs are used to produce energy, not body fat or arterial plaque.

The easy assimilation of MCTs by the body allows increased absorption of other nutrients. Studies show that MCTs enhance the absorption of minerals, particularly calcium and magnesium. They improve the absorption of some of the B vitamins, the fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K and beta-carotene), as well as amino acids. Nature was wise in adding MCTs to breast milk.