Could the Pill be stopping my weight loss?

Options
Pretty much what it says in the title. I've been having trouble losing weight since I went on the pill (microgynon 30) and wondered if that was the problem? Anyone have any experience on this?

Replies

• KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Actually the same thing has been happening to me, so I'm sure it does have an effect.
  • spikess
    spikess Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i was on the same pill up to about 2 years ago for about 7 years, i actually lost weight when i first went on it, and it certainly didn't seem to influence my weight while i was on it. but i think the problem with the pill is that it can affect people differently. i think i was one of the lucky ones.
  • pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    hey,

I have been wondering the same thing, am on mycrogynon 30 also.
    Over the course of 2 years, watchin what I eat, an exrcising more - thought not as carefully as I am now - I lost about a stone (without really realising, so was obv VERY grudual!)..

However, now I am really trying, and weight does not seem to be shifting! My body is changing slowly but as for weight loss, not so much.
    Would b good to know!
  • beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Could be. I've been on microgynon 30 since before starting my weight loss - and I am losing ok, but one of the pill's side effects can be weight gain. Have you thought about talking to your doctor about other forms of BC?
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    I'm on the mini pill (because I was breastfeeding) and it hasn't affected my weight loss.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've been on several different pills, one I actually started off losing weight, but then gained it all back plus! On top of switching to a very soy-based diet, I gained over 20 lbs! I am finally on my way to losing what I gained but I also switched to the Nuva Ring last year. It takes time for your body to adjust, but the very first thing I noticed was an instant 2 lbs loss without me doing anything,

Everyone reacts differently to the different pills, and while Dr's "swear" the pill does not "make" you gain weight, I wonder if it messes with your hormones enough that your body "holds" onto food and stores it instead of burning it. As much as I worked out and cut my calories before going off the pill, I couldn't lose anything & packed on 8lbs in 2 months!

It's taken about a year, but my body is finally adjusting to the Ring and starting to get back onto a "normal" cycle: I just had to be patient and I'm really glad that I was:happy:
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm on a quartly and skip the fakes everytime. I've been on it for about three years this way. It does not seem to have made a difference for my loss journey. Always worth checking with your doctor if you think it is a problem.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on Depo shot..I haven't gained at all. I've been losing.
  • PussyKat
    PussyKat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about talking to your doctor about other forms of BC?

The trouble is, most BC options will alter your hormones and I know that different types affect everyone differently. It's just finding the right one for you that is a *****. I hate being a woman.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about talking to your doctor about other forms of BC?

The trouble is, most BC options will alter your hormones and I know that different types affect everyone differently. It's just finding the right one for you that is a *****. I hate being a woman.

I have a plain copper IUD (coil) no hormones and I've found it fantastic.
    As for your original question I had no problem with microgynon 30 and loosing weight while I was on it, but it does affect everyone differently. Good luck with finding something that works for you.
  • sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    Options
    I second the regular copper coil, its been great, don't have to worry about remembering to take a pill or go for an injection, and no weight gain.

I was on Microgynon 30 as a teenager and definitely gained weight, I was ravenous and ate loads!

Went on it again in my 20's and never gained. but I was careful not to eat anything high calorie when I got my hunger pangs
  • PussyKat
    PussyKat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A plain IUD sounds like a really good idea actually, especially seeing as I often forget to take the pill at the right time. Going to ask at the docs tomorrow, thanks very much for the advice xx
  • nicjane113
    Options
    the pill doesn't necessarily mean you'll gain weight but it can give you a bigger appetite which in turn means you tend to eat more to be full and gain weight!
    I'm on the same pill and have put on a few lbs but for me its probably more to do with me working in an office behind a desk all day and not exercising enough
    Talk to your doctor if your worried though and you can change to another kind that might suit you better