"Southern Culture" and Dieting

Options
124»

Replies

• jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    because the rest of the country is full of disgusting food?

No, but have you ever had real southern food? It's about as close to heaven on a plate as it gets.

I can't see it being as delicious as good sushi, sukiyaki, or a noodle house ramen...I'm not even Asian I just crave Japanese food constantly lol.

Then you have never had good southern cooking...

I like sushi but good southern cooking beats raw fish any day. LOL! As my dad always said about sushi, "we use raw fish for bait to catch something to fry!" :wink:
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    My half-sister who grew up in Italy taught me an excellent trick for that. Before you leave the house (because if you haven't eaten in the last hour they'll try to feed you. You know it's true!!) eat a bunch of vegetables. You won't be hungry when you get there, and then you can do the "Oh, I couldn't possibly! Oh... alright... just a bite..." dance and actually just eat a bite or two because you won't be hungry.
  • hidbee
    hidbee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would rather say no and disappoint or offend someone because I didn't eat their food than be fat.
  • bestjuneever
    bestjuneever Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas and it is pretty hard to avoid the good food around. Even the sweet tea! When I first moved here, my boyfriend and I would eat BBQ way too much. Not only that but his sister and mother can make the greatest stuff ever. Don't even get me started on his sister's pecan sweet potatoes (not healthy at all the way she makes it). Surely I'll get a crave for the good food but I always tell myself that I obviously ate plenty of it and it's my fault for not being able to eat it because I had no control before.

There was also this thing my brother told me along time ago that he saw on TV or read somewhere. He told me that it said to ask yourself "Will this make me happy?" For me it works. I ask myself will this food make me happy, and the answer is no because I will eat it and then I will feel remorse. In my head I continue to think about my goals I want to accomplish and by the end of my answer I'm completely opposed to the food.

My last resort is looking at a tumblr of before and after pictures. That ALWAYS gets my head on right.