needing help with a gym routine

Options
I'm just starting back up at going to the gym after having my daughter, I use to go to the gym for 2 hours 4x a week a while ago, and I loved how i felt after but I think at the point I am that might be too much starting out so i'm aiming for 1-1.5 hours. Right now I"m doing 45 minutes walking at 5.0 incline at 3.0 mph with occasional spurts of jogging at 5.0 mph. And that gives me a good sweat but I'm wondering what kind of strength training to incorporate into it.

If anyone has done a routine in the past that is pretty good for starting back up i'd appreciate it or just tips on how to ease into the strength training and what other cardio I could be doing to accelerate my weight loss that'd be great.

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Look into something like New Rules of Lifting or Strong Lifts. There are also apps that give you suggested programs. I recently found one called Gym Pocket Guide that has good reviews.
  • jesshepard
    Options
    ok thanks i'll look into those.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    All cardio and no strength makes for crap results. Do a mainly strength based routine such as Stronglifts 5x5 and use cardio as a supplement to it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength would be a good place to start. Google it. Do it. Love it.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Look into something like New Rules of Lifting or Strong Lifts. There are also apps that give you suggested programs. I recently found one called Gym Pocket Guide that has good reviews.

I love New Rules of Lifting for Women, I also get a lot of information off Bodybuilding.com (don't let the name scare you, they have great advice)
  • jesshepard
    Options
    i think my biggest thing is everytime i go to the gym i also go straight for the treadmill so i think starting with strength and ending with cardio would be a better option? but i'll look into all that. thanks :)