Why am I gaining weight?

Options

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I've gained 2 inches in each thigh (though I have to admit that my thighs are pretty rock solid -- I run, ride bikes and do Pilates) and and inch in each area: chest, waist and hips. I know it can't be muscle, because you can't build muscle eating at a deficit.

Just reread the OP and this jumped out at me. So assuming her BMR is pretty screwed up enough that 1000 cals and her exercise is NOT a deficit, I think this is where the weight is. She's putting on muscle mass. Her diet consists mostly of protein, which is consistent with muscle building experienced here.

Yes, she should eat more calories... a few hundred more every few weeks. And throw out her scale. Its sabotaging her.

You are a dangerous person to give information. She's not gaining 20lbs of muscle mass in a few months on a HUGE caloric deficit.

Listen to the people saying you need to reset your metabolism etc. They're on the correct track.
  • samammay
    Options

I've gained 2 inches in each thigh (though I have to admit that my thighs are pretty rock solid -- I run, ride bikes and do Pilates) and and inch in each area: chest, waist and hips. I know it can't be muscle, because you can't build muscle eating at a deficit.

Just reread the OP and this jumped out at me. So assuming her BMR is pretty screwed up enough that 1000 cals and her exercise is NOT a deficit, I think this is where the weight is. She's putting on muscle mass. Her diet consists mostly of protein, which is consistent with muscle building experienced here.

Yes, she should eat more calories... a few hundred more every few weeks. And throw out her scale. Its sabotaging her.

You are a dangerous person to give information. She's not gaining 20lbs of muscle mass in a few months on a HUGE caloric deficit.

Listen to the people saying you need to reset your metabolism etc. They're on the correct track.

Oh, I dont believe she has gained 20 pounds of muscle mass at a deficit. That would be impossible. I do believe she has gained muscle mass based on the measurements. I dont believe for a second she is at a deficit.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me never to eat less than 1500 calories a day if I am exercising. I exercise 7 to 9 hours a week - weights, Zumba, kickboxing, running, biking, swimming, etc. I can't even IMAGINE eating less than that if you are exercising and not feeling like garbage (exhausted, shaky, low energy, etc.). Resetting your metabolism may only be a question of actually following the recommendations of the settings for MFP. Eat the amount of calories the program tells you to when you eat back your exercise calories. For me this is about 1500 calories a day. When I want to eat out with my hubby, I exercise more so I can enjoy a larger meal or a couple of drinks. As a matter of fact I am off to spinning to work off my snack and the glass of Pino Grigio I am going to have after I put my daughter to bed. Be good to yourself and be healthy. Good luck.
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    WARNING: WHINY POST AHEAD!!

Okay, you've been warned.

I read through all the answers again this morning (after sleeping on all the info I'd seen last night), and I have to admit to feeling totally defeated.

For the last year and a half, I've watched every morsel that entered my mouth and counted every calorie to the best of my ability. I worked out, took up new exercises that I liked and even found that I LOVE running.

And for what? Sure, I lost close to 80 pounds, but now I'm finding out that I did it all wrong and in order to fix it, I have to allow myself to get fat again, then start all over.

I don't want to gain back the weight I've worked so hard to lose. I've already gained back 20 pounds, and the thought of gaining back another 20 and another 20 and... well, let's just say that the idea sent me to the cookie jar this morning. (And now my daily net carb intake has been shot. ;-) )

I know I have to change the way I've thought about dieting (you know, that whole philosophy of "eat a little less, move a little more" that so obviously lies...), and I have to grit my teeth and gain the weight back. But I'm not happy about it. Not one little bit.

Okay, end of whining. Time to do something. Something different, I guess.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    For women 40 and over, I highly recommend reading "The Menopause Makeover" book.. It's available on Amazon Kindle. Changed my life and how I view food, exercise and sleep.

I am almost 55 years old - I can't eat like I did when I was in my 20's, 30's or 40's. I don't believe a calorie of avocado is the same as a calorie in wonder bread. I don't exercise for vanity now, I exercise and move more to feel great and get sleep.

OP, I thought I was at a "good weight" most of my adult life and then it shot up 30 pounds more in 2011... when I started this journey, I just wanted to lose about that but when I got to maintenance 10 more pounds just melted away while I was stabilizing. I find it pretty simple to maintain, but I eat a lot more than 1000 calories a day - I eat 1400 to 2000 each day. Good luck with researching and seeking at that Doctor visit.. you are on the right track to figure it out.
  • samammay
    Options
    whoa... no one suggested gaining back 60 pounds. No one suggested gaining back 20. We all (in our own way) suggested that you eat more to help your system adjust to having food in it. No one ever said "eat cookies and candy until you are fat". Increase your calorie intake in small increments using quality foods. You will not get fat. You will get healthy.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options

I read through all the answers again this morning (after sleeping on all the info I'd seen last night), and I have to admit to feeling totally defeated.

For the last year and a half, I've watched every morsel that entered my mouth and counted every calorie to the best of my ability. I worked out, took up new exercises that I liked and even found that I LOVE running.

And for what? Sure, I lost close to 80 pounds, but now I'm finding out that I did it all wrong and in order to fix it, I have to allow myself to get fat again, then start all over.

I don't want to gain back the weight I've worked so hard to lose. I've already gained back 20 pounds, and the thought of gaining back another 20 and another 20 and... well, let's just say that the idea sent me to the cookie jar this morning. (And now my daily net carb intake has been shot. ;-) )

I know I have to change the way I've thought about dieting (you know, that whole philosophy of "eat a little less, move a little more" that so obviously lies...), and I have to grit my teeth and gain the weight back. But I'm not happy about it. Not one little bit.

I don't think that you have to gain it all back in a reset.
    I do think that you would benefit very much from adding strength training and reducing cardio a bit.
    Just consider this a learning experience and go on from here.
    Good luck to you.

Oh, and the facility where I work uses a telephone interpreter service to deal with language barriers. Maybe look into something like that to help you with your health care provider.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Get some professional help. This rant (especially coupled with the way you've lost weight) suggests you might be starting to get into the path of an eating disorder (eating disorders are far more than just "not eating anything," or "always binging and purging," there's very largely a mental component). I recommend seeing a good registered dietician and possibly get some counseling to help get your mindset away from fearing gaining weight and realizing that some weight gain is going to happen and that it's actually progress and a good thing as you retrain your body to run on more calories.

Again, please read the link I posted earlier. It's about a woman who was in the exact same situation as you are right now.
  • N4ni38
    N4ni38 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    .MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT.
    You should check your salt intake. Sodium will cause us to hold on to those extra pounds If you're putting in the work, and still gaining, put the scale down and pick up the tape measure. Lean muscle weighs as much if not more than fat. Sometimes the scale can be frustrating, but a tape measure can't lie. Good Luck
  • Becky350
    Becky350 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Can you be pregnant?
  • Chenca
    Chenca Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow- This is really helpful! Thanks on behalf of the rest of us!
    If I had to guess, I'd say that you trained your body very well to run on very few kcalories. You may have to start over with a metabolic reset (an initial gain), lose it again slower and then level off into maintenance.

More helpful info here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • samammay
    Options
    Can you be pregnant?

She is 49. While it wouldnt be a record, it is highly unlikely.
  • debi_f
    Options
    Pregnant? NOOOO! *runs away and hides*

While I did have a late start with kids (I was 32, 36 and 41 when my kids were born), I'm certainly not planning on having any more of my own! Ha ha!

As for the tape measure vs. scale -- neither one is my friend right now.

And for gaining ALL the weight back -- I understand that I won't have to gain it all back to start over, but I've already regained 20 pounds. Another 20 or 30 puts me way up there where I don't want to be. Even now, I can't stand to look in the mirror, because I see the "big me" starting to look back. Just the thought of having to gain anything more... Ugh.

And strength training. Let me just add in a major *groan* here. I gave lifting a try a few months ago (and managed to keep it up for about 6 weeks or so), but it was just AWFUL! Oh my goodness, how do people do that? Not only was it mind-numbingly boring, but just the need to strategize which machine or bench to aim for next while jockying around all the other people trying to get on the same machines/benches. I absolutely HATED lifting. Sure, it would be good for me, but then so are brussel sprouts, and I won't touch them, either.

But, if lifting things and putting them down helps, I guess I could try again.

Just please tell me I can skip the brussel sprouts.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Pregnant? NOOOO! *runs away and hides*

While I did have a late start with kids (I was 32, 36 and 41 when my kids were born), I'm certainly not planning on having any more of my own! Ha ha!

As for the tape measure vs. scale -- neither one is my friend right now.

And for gaining ALL the weight back -- I understand that I won't have to gain it all back to start over, but I've already regained 20 pounds. Another 20 or 30 puts me way up there where I don't want to be. Even now, I can't stand to look in the mirror, because I see the "big me" starting to look back. Just the thought of having to gain anything more... Ugh.

And strength training. Let me just add in a major *groan* here. I gave lifting a try a few months ago (and managed to keep it up for about 6 weeks or so), but it was just AWFUL! Oh my goodness, how do people do that? Not only was it mind-numbingly boring, but just the need to strategize which machine or bench to aim for next while jockying around all the other people trying to get on the same machines/benches. I absolutely HATED lifting. Sure, it would be good for me, but then so are brussel sprouts, and I won't touch them, either.

But, if lifting things and putting them down helps, I guess I could try again.

Just please tell me I can skip the brussel sprouts.

Again, please seek professional help.

As for lifting - pick up a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women and look into a program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. No machines involved, and the latter two, at least, advocate high weights (high for your level here, it's not going to tell you to go bench 100lbs or anything like that), low reps, which often isn't as boring as high rep routines.
  • debi_f
    Options
    Get some professional help. This rant (especially coupled with the way you've lost weight) suggests you might be starting to get into the path of an eating disorder (eating disorders are far more than just "not eating anything," or "always binging and purging," there's very largely a mental component). I recommend seeing a good registered dietician and possibly get some counseling to help get your mindset away from fearing gaining weight and realizing that some weight gain is going to happen and that it's actually progress and a good thing as you retrain your body to run on more calories.

Again, please read the link I posted earlier. It's about a woman who was in the exact same situation as you are right now.

I went back and read that post. There are definitely similarities! I did manage to lose 70+ pounds, though. Also, I don't live on convenience or pre-packaged foods (I make 90% of my food from scratch), I'm not sedentary (in fact yesterday and today have been my "laziest" in months), and I'm not plateau-ed (I'm Gaining like a mad-woman!).

BUT, that said, the whole idea of working my head around eating more is definitely there. And the idea of gaining more than I already have scares the pants off me (or rather, the pants that I won't be able to pull up over my thighs by then!).

I did just buy the New Rules for Lifting for Women. God, just the thought of lifting makes me want to crawl into bed and stay there, but I know I have to do something different. Eating less and moving more isn't working. I just hope lifting actually does something. Looking at a probably month's worth of weight gain, though... argh.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I do understand where you're coming from. Weight loss can be a real mental as well as physical struggle and stalls, gains, setbacks, etc. are enormously frustrating.

But, you won't be starting over from nothing. You're starting out with all of the knowledge and know-how about nutrition, calories, and how to do it right. You have a new love of running and way better fitness than you started with, I bet. There are great links and supportive groups being listed here for you as you move forward. You have a lot of tools in front of you that you're not seeing right now.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I wonder how correct your food logging is. Half a pita bread 30 calories or three slices of bacon 120 calories ? That seems too good to be true....:o). I don't think it all of the reason why you gained, but is worth checking out.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I wonder how correct your food logging is. Half a pita bread 30 calories or three slices of bacon 120 calories ? That seems too good to be true....:o). I don't think it all of the reason why you gained, but is worth checking out.

Ditto's to this.

You commented on trusting the food labels and serving size, which is rarely true.

Even if you don't see "about x servings per package" get the scale out and weigh the item. Likely whether the package is supposed to be a serving or not, the weight is over the package weight so they don't get nabbed giving less than stated.

Weigh everything and relate it back to the weight of the serving size. Not the measuring amount which is given for convenience, the grams in a serving.

That inaccuracy is not the reason for your problem of course, but has probably kept your metabolism from being grounded as bad as it could be, though it's still down there buried.

And the problem with grounded metabolism is every bigger meal or vacation time or binge eating time, packs on the fat. One big meal a week 500 over normal, there's a pound in 7 weeks. Throw in a few binge days or meals, easy to get to where you are.

Now, if you are slowing increasing your calories and lifting, all the excess doesn't go to fat.
    In fact if you lift right, very little needs to go to fat if increasing a mere 100 extra calories a day for a week at a time.

I'd also suggest that since you likely have less LBM than expected for your age, weight, height as suggested by several, get your Katch BMR using bodyfat %, and base potential TDEE on that value that you'll work your way up to.

No need eating to a TDEE based on avg LBM you don't actually have - that would be a recipe for fat gain.

use the spreadsheet on my profile page for best estimate.
    Do the lifting 3 x weekly, not circuit training, not classes with strength added, real lifting, you need muscle mass back you burned off.
    Do your running 2 x weekly, stay in the lower Aerobic HR zone (HRM tab in the spreadsheet), for no more than 60 min.
    Increase calories weekly, 100 extra daily each week, until you get to TDEG.
  • Phoenyx01
    Phoenyx01 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest that you are getting the proper nutrients. With your low caloric intake, I would suggest supplementation. Getting enough fat? You need to eat fat to burn fat. Try taking omega 3 pills if you can, make sure you have a good multivitamin! This should also help your metabolic health! Hope that helps!
  • debi_f
    Options

The pita is a low fat, low carb version, not your average pita. As for the bacon, i cook it in the oven, which cuts down on the fat a bit. I freely admit, though, that I have no idea on the actual calorie count having merely looked for an average number many moons ago and using that same count whenever I make bacon. It could be off...

Heybales, thanks for all the data! While some of it is completely Greek to me, I'll check out your spreadsheet. Am I supposed to know my body fat % before starting, or do I use those other numbers to calculate it? I've purchased bf calipers and taken all the various measurements and plugged them into various calculators on several different sites and come up with wildly different results (everything from 12 % -- which is crazy -- to 23%-- which seems a bit high). I've also tried finding my TDEE, and have come up with an average between 1600 and 1700. That seems high to me, too.

All the numbers seem to be more subjective than they should be at times.