No Carb Meals

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sorry everyone for saying NO carb when I guess I should have said LOW. I have been averaging around 9 - 10 grams of carbs a day.

Sorry... I can't support that type of dietary approach. I really suggest you ask your doctor for clarification/suggestions.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Sorry everyone for saying NO carb when I guess I should have said LOW. I have been averaging around 9 - 10 grams of carbs a day.

Sorry... I can't support that type of dietary approach. I really suggest you ask your doctor for clarification/suggestions.

I am not sure why you can't support that (though I am also not sure why anyone would care if you do or don't). Low carb has been proven to help anyone who has insulin resistance, diabetes, childhood epolepsy, and other disorders also. Some people can't lose weight or stay healthy with any other approach. We have no idea why the OP's doctor would recommend this but the fact is, the doctor did. I would say that you are not qualified nor educated enough to have an opinion in this instance.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    my nutritionist and doctor have me on a strict diet- 70-80 gms of protein, 30-50 gms of carbs, 20-30 gms of fat, and 700-900 calories a day. Keeping a low carb count is not impossible and it also helps to journal everything. I found the cheese sticks really good for snacks as well as sugar free jellos and puddings. Lots of certain veggies and low fat cheeses, water and lean meat like turkey will fill you up. I am a junk food junkie and lost 10 pounds in 4 days. Virtually everything has carbs.
    This is the site I've been using:

http://www.fatsecret.com/recipes

Sugar free jello has around 17-19 carbs per tiny container... just sayin

:noway: wait..whAAT????
    Please tell me you don't mean the already made stuff you buy in the supermarket!!! :sad:
    ::runs off to check the package::
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I am not sure why you can't support that (though I am also not sure why anyone would care if you do or don't). Low carb has been proven to help anyone who has insulin resistance, diabetes, childhood epolepsy, and other disorders also. Some people can't lose weight or stay healthy with any other approach. We have no idea why the OP's doctor would recommend this but the fact is, the doctor did. I would say that you are not qualified nor educated enough to have an opinion in this instance.

Because if there is a medical reason warranting such an approach, I don't know enough about it/them to make informed recommendations. And if there isn't a medical reason to go that low carb, I won't support/encourage what is essentially a zero carb diet.
  • hookilau
    Options
    I'm looking at the package of the ready made stuff and there's 0 carbs listed here.
    It doesn't jack up my BG either :blushing:

What am I missing? :huh:
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Maybe your doc said no simple carbs? Carbs are way misunderstood. I bet he wanted you to go no simple carbs cause no carbs at all is unhealthy and virtually impossible. Complex carbs are important and good for you.
  • hookilau
    Options
    OP: I do very low carb because I'm T2D. I eat to my meter, which means I eliminate foods according to what brings my BG outside of my target range.

This has led me to ~ 10g of carbs per meal (starchy) or up to ~ 60-70 g of carb from raw veggies. To be fair, I've never reached the top of 60-70g of veggie carbs cause I end up leaving alot on my plate. It's a LOT of food! :laugh: The point is, I'm able to stay within my BG targets if I stay away from starchy stuff & keep to the fresh green stuff :ohwell:

For me, not all carbs are created equal. I react differently to different carbs...I think it may help to know why you've been prescribed a low carb diet, and how low etc.
  • DivineLotus
    DivineLotus Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Vegetables have carbs. I hope you're eating a variety of veggies. Check out the South Beach diet and Atkins cookbooks for recipe ideas. It's strange you'd be on such a strict regimen by a Dr without guidance. I thought it was dangerous to go too low on carbs. When I did south beach, I averaged at least 60-80 carbs a day. I'm no expert, I'm not stating facts just what my impression of a keto diet under a Dr's supervision.
  • kenzietate
    Options
    Maybe your doc said no simple carbs? Carbs are way misunderstood. I bet he wanted you to go no simple carbs cause no carbs at all is unhealthy and virtually impossible. Complex carbs are important and good for you.

There is no reason to eat carbs and in some cases it causes actual harm. The body does not need carbs. The body needs glucose. This can be made from either carbs or fat. It is a legitimate diet prescribed by doctors for several reasons. I am currently on this diet and I have never felt better in my life because I can't process carbs. Zero carb is virtually impossible but very low carb (fewer than 20g per day) is not. The idea is that carbs only come from veggies in order to get the vitamins from the veggies and you switch your fuel source from carbs to fat. This is sustainable and healthy!
  • kenzietate
    Options
    Vegetables have carbs. I hope you're eating a variety of veggies. Check out the South Beach diet and Atkins cookbooks for recipe ideas. It's strange you'd be on such a strict regimen by a Dr without guidance. I thought it was dangerous to go too low on carbs. When I did south beach, I averaged at least 60-80 carbs a day. I'm no expert, I'm not stating facts just what my impression of a keto diet under a Dr's supervision.

It does sound as though the OP has guidance but is looking for ideas for variety. I just want to say that a ketogenic (very low carb) diet can be dangerous if not researched and followed correctly. If enough fat is in the diet and keeping protein to a medium level is maintained, the diet is very healthy and good for a lot of people.
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Breasts
    2 1/2 to 3 pound bag of frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts (tenderloins work too)
    1 - 12 oz bottle of Frank's Buffalo hot sauce

Place chicken breasts in crock pot and pour entire bottle of sauce over them. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8 hours.

Super easy and no carbs. Great to eat with ranch dressing or on a low-carb wrap with some lettuce, tomato and ranch dressing.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options

There is no reason to eat carbs and in some cases it causes actual harm. The body does not need carbs. The body needs glucose. This can be made from either carbs or fat. It is a legitimate diet prescribed by doctors for several reasons. I am currently on this diet and I have never felt better in my life because I can't process carbs. Zero carb is virtually impossible but very low carb (fewer than 20g per day) is not. The idea is that carbs only come from veggies in order to get the vitamins from the veggies and you switch your fuel source from carbs to fat. This is sustainable and healthy!

And vege's are a complex carb, which is exactly what I was talking about. Simple carbs are hard to process and generally not good for any reason, except they are yummy. Vege's are complex carbs. You actually just proved my point.
  • moosiau
    moosiau Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi :bigsmile: I found this site really helpful for low carb recipes when I was on the Atkins diet

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

She's also put the ratings for the recipes that she's tried at the end of each recipe :) which is really useful when looking for something new :smile:
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    what a doctor! lol
  • jacksonpt
    Options

And vege's are a complex carb, which is exactly what I was talking about. Simple carbs are hard to process and generally not good for any reason, except they are yummy. Vege's are complex carbs. You actually just proved my point.

Simple carbs are actually one of the best energy sources available, which means they can be VERY good in certain situations.
  • kenzietate
    Options

I misunderstood your point then. Many people call whole grains and other carb heavy food complex carbs. So I was more clarifying I guess.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    the dash diet actually has a balanced load of carbs, it is not carb free as seems to be the case on these boards.

9runwk.jpg

Agreed........veggies & fruit are full of carbs... nuts have carbs... dairy has carbs.... :huh:
  • cl_green
    Options

Thank you!
  • cl_green
    Options
    Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Breasts
    2 1/2 to 3 pound bag of frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts (tenderloins work too)
    1 - 12 oz bottle of Frank's Buffalo hot sauce

Place chicken breasts in crock pot and pour entire bottle of sauce over them. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8 hours.

Super easy and no carbs. Great to eat with ranch dressing or on a low-carb wrap with some lettuce, tomato and ranch dressing.

Thank you for sharing and way to go on your weight loss! Amazing!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Actually, only starchy vegetables are complex carbs, along with grains. Most fruits and vegetables are simple carbs.
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002469.htm