running/c25k problem

Options
i have progressed to second week of c25k

that is i ran for 1.5 minutes but the pain in my lower leg bones is giving a sign that i wont be able to run beyond this.

anyone who had to leave running or c25k because of this pain.

or did u progress slowly and the pain went away.

i want to know both sides of the story.

i am asking because i dont want to waste time struggling for something i wouldnt be able to do.

Replies

• Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    waiting
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints -

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints

Follow the advice above (assuming the description fits what you are feeling).
    Consider some purpose specific running shoes if you don't already have them.
    Consider slowing your pace, most people (myself included) start c25k too fast.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Difficult to say - depends on what's causing the pain. Are your shoes in good shape, fairly new, with good support? A lot of people recommend getting fitted at a running store, preferably one where they will analyze your gait and stride and all that, and help fit you with the best shoe for you.

Running surface can make a difference as well - cement sidewalks can be the worst on the joints, asphalt or dirt or a school track is better.

I had some new soreness when i went through c25k, just because running was new to me, and works the muscles & joints differently than walking or other exercises. But not what you described as pain in the bones. Only other thing I can think of is take it slow, as slow as you need to in order to complete the time and take it easy on your legs. Repeat weeks if you need to.

If the pain persists, better to stop, let the pain subside and then maybe try again - you don't want to risk long term injury.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    First you need to make sure your not injured, super important to know the difference from pain due to an injury and being sore.

I did experience some pain/soreness. I had to slow down and do the first week a few times, did more walking than running. I was a total newbie to running plus I was really overweight. Mine was more like a burning pain in my calves, chins, and even ankles/feet.

As I continued and also as I lost weight, my legs got stronger and the pain went away. I'm now running the full 5k with no issues at all and love it!

Best of luck :smile:

21525558.png
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    What kind of pain, and where exactly (shins, calves, achilles tendon, etc)? I'm guessing you're talking about shin pain (like shin splints).

Have you gotten a gait analysis from a running store and gotten properly fitted for good running shoes? If not, do that first. I have bad hips and back problems, and when I tried c25k last year, anything over 2 miles (walking or alternating with running) would be extremely painful for my hips. After I got a gait analysis and got good shoes for my running style, the pain is gone. I now run 4+ miles at a time, no walking, with no pain at all.

Also, make sure you go really slow, stretch well afterwards, and take your rest days. One good stretch for shin splints is to stand with your toes on a step with your heels hanging off the end. Then slowly push up on your toes (so you're standing tippy-toed on the edge of the step) as high as you can comfortably go, then slowly lower so your heels are hanging down below the step. Repeat a few times. Do this after each run, and it should help.

If you do all this and still have pain, take a break, and possibly talk to a doctor. They can check if there's an injury.
  • Rai007
    Options
    the pain is in the upper half of bones. no it is not an injury. it occurs only while running. i wont quit abruptly but i know i wont be able to make thru it. unlucky me.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    the pain is in the upper half of bones. no it is not an injury. it occurs only while running. i wont quit abruptly but i know i wont be able to make thru it. unlucky me.

That's a bit of a defeatist attitude, if you don't mind me saying.

When I first started c25k, ten months ago now, I had terrible knee pain that I thought was going to stop me. I went to the doctor, who recommended a pedorthist. The pedorthist checked out the weight distribution on my feet and found I supinate terribly and have ludicrously high arches. A new pair of shoes with inserts and arch supports later, and my knee pain disappeared.

Fast forward to today, and I have a personal best 5k time of just over 26 minutes, and I finished my first 10k run this morning. Where there is a will there is a way.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options

You've already quit. If you don't like running that is fine, find something else. However if you want to run you have to realize that sometimes running hurts and there are steps you can take (that everyone has already laid out) to reduce the pain.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I did the c25k. When I first started, I had so much weight on, and I was so out of shape. It was hard. I would get pain in my legs after a 90 sec run that wasn't shin splints or any injury. My body needed time to build up to the run. Not only do you grow muscle but stronger tendon, ligaments, and the point on the bone to which they connect. Only you know if it's serious enough to seek medical help, but I want to share with you from someone who was successful with the c25k and started out with a lot of weight and out of shape. You may have to repeat each week, but you'll be amazed at how fast it starts to progress once you get over a few hurdles. Maybe take a week and walk then progress with week 1 again. Whatever you feel comfortable with while pushing your body to get stronger.

Oh and I don't know if it's been mention but probably has, get good shoes! Best advice. Get good shoes, you might need to slow down but don't stop, repeat a week if needed.
  • jess4fun
    Options
    It really could be nothing more than your form. When I started implementing Pose running form, my shin splints went away. they can be caused when your heel strikes the ground first. There are lots of youtube videos showing how to do it. Don't give up so easily. Funny thing, we think running should come so naturally but sometimes we have to learn technique to be efficient.
  • Rai007
    Options
    i wont give it up InshAllah!
  • HealthierFoodie
    HealthierFoodie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had awful shin splints from about week 3 until week 6 of C25K. I had to ice after every run. Once I hit the longer runs in week 7 (no more intervals) my shin splints completely went away.

Stick with it. You'll be so glad you did.
  • Rai007
    Options
    hey ppl. today was my w2d2 and i jogged at very slow pace for complete 5 minutes. i am so happy. although i overdid the c25k program today but i am excited to go further.
  • jenniferjeanne84
    jenniferjeanne84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tried doing C25K last year and had terrrible pain in my legs/calves. It didn't matter how slowely I eased into it, how long I warmed up for I couldn't run 90 seconds without pain.... then I visited the doctor who refered me to a podiatrist.

Apparently I have super high arches ( "born to wear high heels" he said). One pair of orthopedics later and I can run.

So... although people can guess on the board, your situation is unique, and if you're doing everything right and the pain doesn't stop, go see a doctor.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    As a new runner, you will have aches and pains. Take it slow, take rest days, and don't give up.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    It is shin splints. Make sure you have good running shoes that fit correctly, look up exercises to strengthen that area, and also google taping shin splints. Taping my shins did more good than anything else.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My partner had the same problem when we started c25k, but after powering through a few weeks of it, she hasn't had any problems since. I was having a lot of trouble with my lower leg muscles tiring out midway, and that also seemed to dissipate around week 5... stick with it.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Leg pain is normal when you first start running. Make sure you get plenty of water and rest. Stick with it.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Leg pain is normal when you first start running. Make sure you get plenty of water and rest. Stick with it.

I agree. It took me about 5 months to make it all the way through c25k as I was really out of shape and large for my body type. Follow what the program says. Don't move on to the next week of activities until you can complete all the ones in the week you are on comfortably. Otherwise, you could end up injured.

Enjoy the fact that you are doing something good for yourself and don't stress about how much time it takes to get there.