Overtraining....? Lack of progress...?

Options
13»

Replies

• RenshiG
    RenshiG Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A HRM will give you a more accurate estimate of calories burned if it is set up properly and is of adequate quality. Still an estimate but slightly more accurate, even with interval training. You're story does not surprise me. You measuring of calories and intake were likely not that accurate. Now, you are closer. Don't live and die by the scale daily. It will go up and down. As long as the overall trend over time is down, that's all that matters.

Thank you for the input on the HRM. Do you think it is worth getting one? Do you use one? If so can you recommend one?

My trend has def been sort of down over a looong time with a very very small slope.... until these last few days. I am just really curious what so suddenly happened to my body. I have made adjustments and I think I am doing a much better job now tracking my input. I do think I was over-estimating my output significantly. So I def feel the feedback on this post has helped tremendously. I am still just flabbergasted about HOW MUCH suddenly seems to go so fast..... Maybe it was just all "pent up" and waiting for a big drop...... so curious about how the body works. :-)
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    As lilawolf suggested you can go to ETP and get some advice from Sara and Sidesteel but honestly I think you were simply over-estimating your calorie burns and in turn eating too much.

So my easy suggestion.....TDEE at lightly active -20% deficit and keep your activity level the same. Make sure you are weighing, measuring and logging everything that goes in your mouth and be honest with yourself. Monitor for about 4-6 weeks and tweak your results from there. If you are losing at a nice pace (1lb/week) then you are doing well. If it's more that that you can afford to either increase your calories marginally or cut back on some exercise. If it's not enough of a loss or you gain then you know that your intake is flawed.

Good luck!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    A HRM will give you a more accurate estimate of calories burned if it is set up properly and is of adequate quality. Still an estimate but slightly more accurate, even with interval training. You're story does not surprise me. You measuring of calories and intake were likely not that accurate. Now, you are closer. Don't live and die by the scale daily. It will go up and down. As long as the overall trend over time is down, that's all that matters.

Thank you for the input on the HRM. Do you think it is worth getting one? Do you use one? If so can you recommend one?

My trend has def been sort of down over a looong time with a very very small slope.... until these last few days. I am just really curious what so suddenly happened to my body. I have made adjustments and I think I am doing a much better job now tracking my input. I do think I was over-estimating my output significantly. So I def feel the feedback on this post has helped tremendously. I am still just flabbergasted about HOW MUCH suddenly seems to go so fast..... Maybe it was just all "pent up" and waiting for a big drop...... so curious about how the body works. :-)

I don't use one. It's a personal choice to use one or not. I think there can be too much emphasis on measuring burns from exercise. The method I use us to set my activity level at moderately active and not count burns from each exercise session. I set my calorie target level for each day at a 500 calorie deficit based on that and feel that the exercise is already factored in the activity level. I have had good results from this and don't have the mentality that I have to workout that day to have enough to eat. To my thinking, accuracy about the intake side of the equation is much more critical that trying to accurately measure burns. That is pretty much impossible HRM or no. All methods are an estimation at best. Remember the old adage that you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet.

If you try this method, take your TDEE at maintenance minus 500. Try it for a month and measure results. Adjust up or down accordingly. Your body started to drop weight, mostly water weight, once you were truly in deficit. Bear in mind that weight loss is never linear.
  • JEKelly2013
    JEKelly2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you want to make an effective difference, then you really need to separate cardio and strength, at least in the beginning. And, if you have a limit on time, spend your time doing the program according to bodyforlife. The simplicity of the body for life program and the dramatic difference that it creates is outstanding.
    Don't underestimate the method in bodyforlife... it is what gets you that extra burn... stick to the program, you will see the best results.

Regarding dramatic weight loss (4 lbs in 2 days), be careful since a lot of weight loss (and gain) has to do with hydration, etc.
    You need to eat, and drink, often (always keep a powerbar nearby).

measure your weight often, but only watch the averages, not the peaks and valleys.

regarding HRM's, they help give you an idea of the intensity of the workouts, etc. And, since losing weight is basically an equation how much we eat versus how much we use, it will be the greatest benefit if you track things on that level. So, these devices are not necessary...
    But, any type of device that gives you feedback can help. Depends on how you use it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Hahahah. Yea, so much for predictable weight loss. But predictable or unpredictable, we'll take it, right?? I could just imagine you "laughing all the way to the bank" with a huge bag with a big dollar sign on it. :happy:

The HRM does attempt to calculate exercise based on heart rate and is best suited for steady state cardio (not strength training or walking leisurely, for example). It also gives me a crazy rush when I'm in the 180s or 190s because I know I'm really pushing myself , and that kind of feedback is instantly motivating and gratifying. I bought my Polar FT4 on Amazon for $60. It appears to be the most frequently recommended HRM on this site.
  • marianb2001
    marianb2001 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This last weekend I felt I did really well with the calories (around 1800), measuring everything etc, burned about 800-1000 kcal not eating them all back.... but was huuuungry. I also felt really sluggish by the end of it....

You might want to take a look at how many calories you are eating back once you confirm your calories burned. Especially when you consider that your body is sluggish and hungry. Listen to your body.