planning on ARMY

Options
2»

Replies

• lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    Start doing pushup and situps and timing your 2 mile run. Someone posted the requirements so if you can do most of that before you go you will be better off. The pushups were the hardest for me but as you progress through basic you will do PLENTY to get you ready for the final physical test.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    SEE THE POST BELOW FOR THE ADVICE I WaS REFERRING TO..

This is your best advice so far, I am an Old Army Master Fitness Trainer, and I train trainers now for their ACE and and SCC certifications. I retired from the Army in 1994 they have just revamped the entire Fitness Program and are now using a Cross Fit type system. I would suggest you find a Crossfit Box in your area and enroll. The Cross fit system is highly focused on injury prevention, with the types of movements you'll need in the military, and challenging goals that can get you where you want to go.
    I would also add to the above advice that before you undertake heavy lifting you get your BMI (Body Mass Index) checked and hold off on going heavy until your BMI is 35 or below. Generally this is the point when you'll be able to maintain the good form necessary to heavy lift safely.
    You can also freind me if you think I can be of more help.
    Congratulations on your commitment to yourself and our great nation, good luck and Gods speed on your journey.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision! Boot camp was a lot of fun for me, and if you can get yourself in shape, then it can be for you too! Your weight-loss goal is pretty hefty, but if you are dedicated to it, work out a lot and eat healthy, I think it can be done. Remember that you will loose more in the beginning than you will once you get closer to your goal. Don't be upset if you push hard and you have to move your contract date. The Army will still be there, I promise (and it might be good to celebrate your birthday with friends & family as a farewell to life as you know it, because boot-camp is no joke, psychologically.

I totally agree with a combination of weights and cardio. Cardio every day, start with walking and move your way up. If you aren't ready to jog, but walking is getting easy, add weights to your ankles or wrists. Turn on some music that really gets you jazzed so you naturally increase your pace. Aim for an hour+ or 5 miles to start, per day.

Body weight exercises a couple times per day... pushups, sit-ups, bicycles, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, burpees. When they get easy, add the weights.

ALSO, lift heavy... Start easy and make sure you have good form. The heavier you lift, the more muscle you'll build and the more fat you'll burn at rest. I'd lift a few times per week. Maybe start off every other day and increase it as you can handle it.

Take one rest day per week - more if you train REALLY hard and need it. If you are dragging and can't FORCE yourself to push during your workout, and you are eating right and sleeping right, it's time for a rest day.

I'd LOVE to see you meet this goal. Feel free to add me or ask anything!
    Best wishes!
    Billie

This was the advice I was commenting on
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you can show up at basic training able to at least meet the minimum Army PT test standards then you will have an easy time there.

Run 2 miles in 18:54
    Do 19 pushups in 2 minutes
    Do 53 situps in 2 minutes

These are higher standard than you need to actually start basic training but are the minimum for young female soldiers in the Army. If you can already meet the standards when you start then for you PT will be easy while most others it will hurt. Its also a lot easier to keep a good positive attitude throughout the day when you are not wiped out from the morning PT session.

Be able to run 3 miles without stopping - C25K program is good for that.

Also, the advice to strengthen your body with a strength training program like stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength is very good. Many women show up the first day in the Army very weak and then have a hard time with everything. I trained one woman that was so weak she couldn't even pick up her 7 lb rifle with one hand. Don't be that person. It only gets you unwanted attention.

U.S. Army Retired, Infantry
  • kelleyhelm1
    kelleyhelm1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Lots of running, eventually weighted brisk walks in boots -don't do that right away though and certainly not running and do not use loads of weight at first... 5kg maybe.

Pushups, situps (don't bother with crunches!) more pushups, inclined pushups, declined pushups, unstable surface pushups... think hands and feet on piled up pillows/cushions, planks, more pushups, more running. Longer distance running, more pushups!

thank you so much. I would not have even thought of all the variety. I appreciate it.
  • redcon1228
    Options
    As a former Army medic, my advise is, don't do it at all...
    Unless fighting for wall street is your bag...

Sounds like a chapter action discharge at best... PT failure is my guess.

OP, good luck in your quest to join the Big Green Machine!
    Go Army!
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    As a former Army medic, my advise is, don't do it at all...
    Unless fighting for wall street is your bag...

Sounds like a chapter action discharge at best... PT failure is my guess.

OP, good luck in your quest to join the Big Green Machine!
    Go Army!
    Thank you Sir!
    im a contractor with 5 years in the war zone. Lots of ppl get lots of good from their mil experience, and do lots of good for their country and the world. Get into a field with value on the outside (engineering, medic, pilot, logistics, comms, IT, etc) is very useful. Someone with the determination to lose 100 pounds is perfect for the mil! Good decision in joining up. U lost 1 lb per day, just keep on track to your goals. U inspire me!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Good luck :) my hubby is in FA here in hawaii. Run, run, run, run pushups, run