Where do I start? Going from fat to a female bodybuilder

Options
I really could do with some practical advice or direction as to where to start because currently i have no idea at all!
Also is it possible to go from fat to bodybuilding.
I obviously want to drop more weight but looking at the long term goal of gaining muscle.I don,t want to be slim or just to look fit i want to look like i lift.(haha..sorry the only way i can describe it)
I started bodybeast and got into the 3rd week of it but felt i was floundering somewhat.
I,m currently on a 1200 calorie diet and go to the gym 5 days a week currently.
I,m not able to get a personal trainer due to being limited at the services at the gym i go to.
Any serious advice or idea would greatly be appreciated! Thank you :) p.s If any one feels they can train me i can offer my services for being a damn good prep *kitten* :)

Replies

• SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. Eat plenty of protein. Get enough dietary fat. Focus on getting your body fat percentage down and then worry about building up muscle.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Eat more. You won't be lifting crap on 1200 calories. No wonder you started floundering.

Lose the fat more slowly. If you're not cutting for a competition that is coming up in the next couple of months, I don't think a cut that severe is appropriate.

How much protein do you eat?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I really could do with some practical advice or direction as to where to start because currently i have no idea at all!
    Also is it possible to go from fat to bodybuilding.
    I obviously want to drop more weight but looking at the long term goal of gaining muscle.I don,t want to be slim or just to look fit i want to look like i lift.(haha..sorry the only way i can describe it)
    I started bodybeast and got into the 3rd week of it but felt i was floundering somewhat.
    I,m currently on a 1200 calorie diet and go to the gym 5 days a week currently.
    I,m not able to get a personal trainer due to being limited at the services at the gym i go to.
    Any serious advice or idea would greatly be appreciated! Thank you :) p.s If any one feels they can train me i can offer my services for being a damn good prep *kitten* :)

Start with getting your diet in check (It's likely you can eat more than 1200cals and lose fat just fine) and start with a solid resistance program to build a strength base and maintain lbm while dieting down
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    please specify: are we talking natural bodybuilding or will you grow a beard as well?
    Eat more. You won't be lifting crap on 1200 calories. No wonder you started floundering.

^this in any case.
  • MissObstinatiox
    MissObstinatiox Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My Daily protein is at 206.Thank you all for your reply's :)
  • tweetyjf
    tweetyjf Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    hi check out bodybuilding.com
    they have a lot of programs out there...
    good luck
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
    Lift weights.
    Check out New Rules of Lifting For Women, Starting Strength, or Stronglifts 5x5.

Stay away from the machines at the gym. Do big compound lifts with barbells and plates.

Start at a low weight for your lifts, a trivially low weight, and over weeks, gradually add until you find the point of failure - - it is just at that point that you will train. While you are adding the plates to your low initial weight, you will be working on form under a low load.

Learn form from a competent instructor or source and always put form first. You don't want to look like a bodybuilder in a wheelchair.

You're going to look amazing, I can tell. :bigsmile:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I did not focus too much on dropping body fat (even though I'd love that to happen) after having my last baby. I'm focusing on getting strength back up and eating right. It iZ a slow process, but worth while. I didn't see the point in getting skinny then trying to bulk. I wanted to keep the muscle and build more. Im a little pudgy, but nobody believes me.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Start by joining this group and reading all their threads with the red pins next to them:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.

Join a gym or buy the recommended equipment.

It is very possible. Good luck.
  • MissObstinatiox
    Options
    Naturally yes and are you saying i look like a dude? :0/ Don,t think i will go down the route of growing a beard thank you.
  • lkhaycook
    lkhaycook Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. Bump.
  • MissObstinatiox
    Options
    hi check out bodybuilding.com
    they have a lot of programs out there...
    good luck

Thank you! Will pop over there :)
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My Daily protein is at 206.Thank you all for your reply's :)

too much. lean bodymass in lbs x 0.8-1.2= protein requirement in gramms.

muscle gain is not just protein. fats and carbs play a equally important role.
  • MissObstinatiox
    Options
    Eat more.
    Lift weights.
    Check out New Rules of Lifting For Women, Starting Strength, or Stronglifts 5x5.

Stay away from the machines at the gym. Do big compound lifts with barbells and plates.

Start at a low weight for your lifts, a trivially low weight, and over weeks, gradually add until you find the point of failure - - it is just at that point that you will train. While you are adding the plates to your low initial weight, you will be working on form under a low load.

Learn form from a competent instructor or source and always put form first. You don't want to look like a bodybuilder in a wheelchair.

You're going to look amazing, I can tell. :bigsmile:

Thank you! That was a lot of help. Hahaha...No that is certainly not a look i,m aiming for :0/

Thank you that is very nice of you to say so :)
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Read "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.

Great resource, but ignore the nutrition advice. Don't drink a gallon of milk a day.
  • TeslaJoule
    TeslaJoule Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Try doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's an amazing book/program. It's easy to start and follow. You won't feel like you're floundering AND there is a REALLY RAD group for it, full of super supportive women, to help you out on here. I also like trolling Nerd Fitness for their success stories...like this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I'd say best of luck, but you won't need it! You got this! :)
  • MissObstinatiox
    Options
    Try doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's an amazing book/program. It's easy to start and follow. You won't feel like you're floundering AND there is a REALLY RAD group for it, full of super supportive women, to help you out on here. I also like trolling Nerd Fitness for their success stories...like this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Thank you i will have a look at that and on here for the group on here :)

Thanx again! you guys rock
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    In for the future awesome. :D
  • slarobinson
    slarobinson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Try fittestfriends.com The sight offers "free" trainer.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

I second new rules of lifting. This is how I started. Good luck