Last 5-10 Pounds & Belly Fat

Options
I've been doing a lot of research about losing the last five-ten pounds. My original goal I set for myself was 160 (I'm 5'5, broad shoulders, stronger-set thighs from being a swimmer in high school, 20 years old for those who might want to know that), but I think I could probably stand to lose ten more pounds, or in general, get slimmer in my stomach, legs and arms.

In the reading I've been doing around the internet, many people suggest when you get to the last 5-10 and your weight loss really slows (I was stuck at 167 for a month and a half and during that month and a half I tried to up my workouts and started running INTENSIVELY. I stopped running that dedicatedly because it was starting to put me in a lot of pain, and then all of a sudden I dropped down to hovering around 165-166) - anyway, I read that when your weight loss slows this much you have to evaluate that you might not see the scale move anymore. However, if you're still carrying belly weight, then you should still be concerned. I carry a fair amount of weight around my stomach still. Heart issues also run in my family so I'd like to eliminate the risk belly fat is causing for that too.

My dress size has gone from a very tight 12 to a 6, tops went from a L/sometimes XL to a S or M depending on the cut, but my jeans went from a tight 12 to a not as tight but still snug 12 because of my stomach. My stomach also has always noticably bloated as the day goes on/I eat throughout the day and it's always caused me a lot of stress. Not sure if I'll ever be able to obtain a tight stomach, but I wouldn't mind it be somewhere in the spectrum of flat, because even at my most athletic/healthiest before this, it has always been a problem area. Could I get some advice from people, please?

Replies

• FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on the excellent job you've done so far!

There are many folks here much more knowledgeable than I, but everything I've read suggests that belly fat is usually the last to go, and the surest way to lose it is to lose overall. So keep on with your healthful diet and exercise and that tummy will flatten in time. Have a great weekend. :flowerforyou:
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you lift weights any, sounds like that might be more the direction you want to go. If you are getting close to your goal weight but still don't look as "tight" as you want then it might be time to look more at changing body composition than weight loss.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Lower your goal by 5-10 pounds, so that you're no longer on the "last" 5-10 pounds. The weight should start coming right off.
  • itsmandible
    itsmandible Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Do you lift weights any, sounds like that might be more the direction you want to go. If you are getting close to your goal weight but still don't look as "tight" as you want then it might be time to look more at changing body composition than weight loss.

I don't, actually! I was off of school all summer so I just outside as I didn't have gym access. Though now I do, so would that help with the belly problem?
  • itsmandible
    Options
    Lower your goal by 5-10 pounds, so that you're no longer on the "last" 5-10 pounds. The weight should start coming right off.

Really think it's all mental???
  • itsmandible
    Options
    First, congratulations on the excellent job you've done so far!

There are many folks here much more knowledgeable than I, but everything I've read suggests that belly fat is usually the last to go, and the surest way to lose it is to lose overall. So keep on with your healthful diet and exercise and that tummy will flatten in time. Have a great weekend. :flowerforyou:
    Thank you so much for your kind words (: I too have heard that!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food. Log everything.

Also maybe think about body fat testing to get another perspective on goals.

My random internet person guess is you're around 25-30 lbs away from your goal of flat belly.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    First off, your stronger set thighs have nothing to do with swimming in high school. Your body shape is just that. It's genetic. I am a pear. I have a small upper body and a larger lower body. I am 5'4 and currently weigh 127 lbs. I am not happy with my belly. Have you had your body fat percentages checked? Those numbers would be more important than what the scale says. Also, have you cut out carbonated drinks? Those really make my belly bloat. My current bf percentage is 28% This link may help.

http://www.skinbodyfitness.com/bmr_bmi_bfp.htm

Since belly fat is the last to go, you may have to change your goals in order to get the shape you want. Good luck!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

I don't, actually! I was off of school all summer so I just outside as I didn't have gym access. Though now I do, so would that help with the belly problem?
    Nothing is necessarily going to focus on the belly problem. You'll continue lowering the bf% and it'll come off wherever it does. That said, lifting is certainly going to help all over.
    Look into convict conditioning if you don't have access to a gym. If you do, check out Starting Strength/Stronglifts 5x5/New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eat a small calorie deficit. Either set MFP to lose half a pound a week, or figure out TDEE - 10%. Lift weights 3x per week. Do 20 minutes HIIT training for cardio 3x per week. Watch your body fat % go down.
  • mrtnjones
    mrtnjones Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would to agree with pp. That you will not lose your belly fat until you are at your IBW which is around 125 for your height. I find that usually the last 30 lbs a person will lose before they get to their ideal body weight will be mostly belly fat. I am 166 my IBW is between 140-150 lbs and that is when my stomach has been the flattest with 5 kids. Lifting weights help, but if your not close to your IBW you will likely not notice the difference. I will show you pictures of people who lost 30 lbs now you will be able tell that they really just look more fit not necessarily like they were over weight from the beginning but pay attention to the mid section. I don't know how to put pics on here but you can google before and after pics of people who lost 30 lbs. Good luck with your weightloss :wink:
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Really admire your work so far - you're doing great!

Now you've come this far you could reassess your goal to one that puts you in the healthy BMI range. Don't let the 'broad shoulders and hips' thought about your body hold you back - that merely means your an 'hourglass' shape and is really irrelevant to your weight. And hourglasses can be curvy OR lean. :-)

Good luck! xx
  • slywon
    slywon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Nothing is necessarily going to focus on the belly problem. You'll continue lowering the bf% and it'll come off wherever it does. That said, lifting is certainly going to help all over.
    Look into convict conditioning if you don't have access to a gym. If you do, check out Starting Strength/Stronglifts 5x5/New Rules of Lifting for Women.

^^^best response, go with this
  • itsmandible
    Options

I definitely will! We used to cycle through the weight room machines twice a week for swimming, so I'm by no means opposed to it, I just don't have too much knowledge of it! Are those book titles that you've listed there?
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,796 Member
    Options
    First off, your stronger set thighs have nothing to do with swimming in high school. Your body shape is just that. It's genetic. I am a pear. I have a small upper body and a larger lower body. I am 5'4 and currently weigh 127 lbs. I am not happy with my belly. Have you had your body fat percentages checked? Those numbers would be more important than what the scale says. Also, have you cut out carbonated drinks? Those really make my belly bloat. My current bf percentage is 28% This link may help.

http://www.skinbodyfitness.com/bmr_bmi_bfp.htm

Since belly fat is the last to go, you may have to change your goals in order to get the shape you want. Good luck!
    FYI that type of body fat measurement it soooo off, expecially for pear shapes, calipers work much better. im 5'7", 139 lbs and 23%bf, that calculator says im 30%bf and 9.3lbs overwheight :huh:
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Really think it's all mental???

And a little bit how you calculate your daily goals. The closer you are to being at your maintenance diet and maintenance weight, the smaller the deficit. I'm planning to undershoot into November by 3 to 5lbs, then a very mild "bulk" in the holidays where I focus on gaining the undershoot back in muscle. Then track for a month or two in the new year to teach myself what regular maintenance eats like, and figure out what my personal road hazards are.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I second lifting weights. I can't really lose any more than another 5lbs now otherwise I will be on the opposite end of the unhealthy spectrum to which I started but I still don't have a flat tummy. I'm planning on doing a bit of a bulk to gain some more muscle to hopefully tighten and firm everything up. I've never actually had a flat tum and I've had 5 kids so I'm not sure I'll ever really be able to get it flat but I'm going to give it a shot once I get my motivation back.

Also do you eat fairly clean? I'm not sure how much truth there is to it but lots of people say 'abs are made in the kitchen'
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

I definitely will! We used to cycle through the weight room machines twice a week for swimming, so I'm by no means opposed to it, I just don't have too much knowledge of it! Are those book titles that you've listed there?

Except for Stronglifts, yeah. All of the info should be readily available on the web if you wanted to take a look at it before diving in. Also, there are specific groups here that follow these programs.
  • slywon
    slywon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and currently bouncing between 138 and 140. I am working towards a goal of 129 and it seems it is getting very difficult. It is all belly and hip fat left. I am currently on day 15 of the P.I.N.K. method for the second time. This exercise program incorporates cardio, and weights all in one. I am also working very hard on cutting out processed sugars from my diet because from the reading I have done these sugars go straight into fat stores in my belly.

Just keep working and you will get there. By the way......I am quite muscular and broad in the shoulders too!