Calories and breastfeeding

Options
Care76
Care76 Posts: 556 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
How do I figure out how many calories I should be eating while breastfeeding? I am looking to lose weight. My son is 10 months old and nurses 4-5 times a day (10-15 minutes each). I have extremely low milk supply and have noticed that what I eat effects my supply. I was on a medication to increase my supply and I was starving all the time and so I ate constantly. I lost 30 lbs within the first 3 months of my son's birth but when I started the medication I have since gained almost all of that back.

Also, when breastfeeding should I eat the calories I burn when exercising? Or no?

I eat fairly healthy. Lots of veggies and fruits (more veggies), meats and carbs. I try not to eat wheat but I do eat quinoa and rice. When I want to snack (because I am so hungry all the time) I east rice chips or popcorn (organic with cheese or sometimes kettle corn), or gluten free pretzels. I usually try to only have a bit of a snack once a day. I am addicted peanut butter chocolate ice cream but I try and only eat it once a week now. I only drink water.

Replies

• hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm also breastfeeding and it hadn't even occurred to me to check this before signing up for MFP! My girl is 9 months and now eating some solids. I have noticed that I've been pumping less lately (from 5oz per session on each side to ~3 oz per session on each side), but seeing as she's on solids and I had an oversupply I am not worried. I did, however talk to my husband about this a few months ago and we agreed that giving Cora breastmilk was the priority so if my supply goes down, I'll work on maintaining until she is done breastfeeding. A few things I'm doing:

I am eating the exercise calories, but rarely am I hungry enough to eat all of them. So if I earn an extra 700 calories, I can usually only eat 400 of those.

I'm making sure my daughter and I still get lots of healthy fats and protein. I'm trying to decrease my calories from sugar.

Watching for dips in my supply, but not relying on pumping to estimate. Given her age and the fact that she is also getting solids (I imagine your baby is too), some decrease is expected, but so long as your baby is still peeing regularly and gaining weight, I wouldn't worry.

Being gentle with myself. A lot of women hold onto some extra weight until they finish breastfeeding and that's ok. I know I want to lose the weight right now, but I need to approach this calmly and with health in mind (both mine and y kids)

All that said, I would talk to your doctor and see what she says.

PS Managing to breastfeed for 10 months after an undersupply is a huge accomplishment! Congratulations!!
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you got great advice already!

oatmeal helps supply. lots of water.

i set up everything as sedentary and then i add breastfeeding as an exercise. it adds 500 to your allowed calories. i also eat back all exercise calories. i am losing. and it feels great. my baby is 14 mo. if i notice a decrease in supply, i eat more the next few days until i feel like he has enough again. i can tell when it dips bc he will get cranky and want to nurse non stop.
  • Care76
    Options
    Thank you. We are extremely happy to be breastfeeding although it was hard. My son is tongue and lip tied and has latch problems. I know that when I went off the meds my supply really sank. He still doesn't have very wet diapers. My family Doctor wants me off the meds but the pediatrician wants me back on to help with supply. I started taking them again, but a much smaller dose.

How do you know how many calories to eat? I figured if I was eating 1,200-1,500 before 1,600-1,800 should be good?

Breastfeeding is my number 1 priority. If I have to eat more to have a decent supply I will. It is disheartening though to gain so much weight after losing it.
  • Care76
    Options
    Thanks WantMyBody back! I missed your reply.

I do eat oats every day. I drink tons of water too.

I will probably do the same. I just have to find a calculator to figure out how many calories to eat again.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I think I ate around 300 back. I nursed for 2 years, each baby. And I was one who didn't drop any weight until I was done nursing! Good luck and good job!
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thank you. We are extremely happy to be breastfeeding although it was hard. My son is tongue and lip tied and has latch problems. I know that when I went off the meds my supply really sank. He still doesn't have very wet diapers. My family Doctor wants me off the meds but the pediatrician wants me back on to help with supply. I started taking them again, but a much smaller dose.

How do you know how many calories to eat? I figured if I was eating 1,200-1,500 before 1,600-1,800 should be good?

Breastfeeding is my number 1 priority. If I have to eat more to have a decent supply I will. It is disheartening though to gain so much weight after losing it.

You know, I think adding in the extra 500 as exercise is a good approach (wantmybodyback's suggestion). I'd bet that the 1,600-1,800 is about right, though it might take some playing around to get the numbers straight. I know that's what I'm trying to figure out too.

I can completely relate to the weight gain issue. It is so frustrating to gain back after losing. There is also a chance that when you finish breastfeeding, your body will stop wanting to store that extra fat and it'll let go of it all more easily (I'm hoping this happens for me too).
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    How do I figure out how many calories I should be eating while breastfeeding? I am looking to lose weight. My son is 10 months old and nurses 4-5 times a day (10-15 minutes each). I have extremely low milk supply and have noticed that what I eat effects my supply. I was on a medication to increase my supply and I was starving all the time and so I ate constantly. I lost 30 lbs within the first 3 months of my son's birth but when I started the medication I have since gained almost all of that back.

Also, when breastfeeding should I eat the calories I burn when exercising? Or no?

I eat fairly healthy. Lots of veggies and fruits (more veggies), meats and carbs. I try not to eat wheat but I do eat quinoa and rice. When I want to snack (because I am so hungry all the time) I east rice chips or popcorn (organic with cheese or sometimes kettle corn), or gluten free pretzels. I usually try to only have a bit of a snack once a day. I am addicted peanut butter chocolate ice cream but I try and only eat it once a week now. I only drink water.

Have you talked with a La Leche League Leader in your area? I was active with LLL when my children were nursing and the Leaders in my area were a huge help when I had a question about breastfeeding. One of my friends had a very low supply, and the Leader recommended tons of short nursing sessions, rather than a few sessions in a day, and offering both breasts at each feeding. I think working with the LLL Leader really helped her breastfeeding.
    I would eat the exercise calories and your breastfeeding calories back, as a dramatic dip in calories can affect your supply. I wouldn't try to lose more than 1 lb a week.
    So, reading your statement, do you eat healthy fats, like those in avocadoes, olives, etc? That might help you feel fuller while on the medication.
  • heatherbear07
    heatherbear07 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good job breastfeeding and still getting the weight off! (So much demand on us mommies, yes?) You may want to talk to a lactation consultant or dietician if you need help getting the calories right. Most public health departments can recommend someone (free or very inexpensive). They will be able to address your needs and come up with a plan that's perfect for you... Keep up the good work!
  • Care76
    Options
    Wow, so much help, thank you all!

MaddyMama, I have not been to any LLL meetings. They are always at a time I can't make it. I have been quite a few times to the International Breastfeeding Center (Jack Newman's clinic) and have had tons of help. I have seen about 8 lactation consultants and basically it comes down to my sons latch (which is painful at times). We are driving a few hours and taking him for laser surgery on his lip tie (and they might release his tongue again since it has reattached). We are hoping after that his latch and hence my supply will improve. Even if it doesn't it will help prevent some dental issues.

I try to cook with coconut oil add it is very healthy. I do eat nuts and protein to try and fill up. The medication I take is for people with chronic upset stomach so it moves food out of the stomach very fast. That is why I can eat and 10-20 mins later I am hungry again. It stinks.

Heatherbear, the lactation consultants I saw told me to eat whenever I was hungry but try to eat healthy, which is what I am trying to do. I thought about cutting carbs but I was told not to until finished breastfeeding.

What is the difference between adding breastfeeding as an exercise and setting my calories to add an extra 500?
  • jessmashburn
    jessmashburn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have read in the first few months of breastfeeding you should not eat less than 1800 cals. I know your baby is older but if your supply is low I would stick with this. My body holds on to the last 5-10 pounds and as soon as I wean they drop pretty fast, just in time for me to be expecting again : ) I had to take meds to help with my supply while nursing baby #2 around 10 months. Not sure what you are taking but Reglan messed with my blood sugar and I couldn't stop it cold turkey, you have to wean yourself off. My blood sugar would drop off super fast so I had to make sure I was eating something every 2 hours. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and make baby nurse more often. Most of mine get busy around 10 months and forget to nurse as often, but if you offer I'm sure he/she will eat. You could set your cals higher or add bf to your food diary. I prefer to add as a food and it gives you more cals. There is an option for "breastfeeding older baby" and I use that and up it to 1.5 servings if my baby nurses more frequently during the day. My little one is 6 months and just started solids last week. Congrats on making it this far and sticking with it. I am glad it is something you feel is important for your baby the benefits are worth it!

Feel free to add me.
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Some women lose while breastfeeding, and some don't I was one of the latter category, and also had a whole litany of issues that, combined with new baby stress, definitely contributed to my low supply and weight gain. So be gentle with yourself. Feeding your little one, and addressing the supply issues, has got to come first. Once they are eating more solids, maybe around 10 months, you can address the whole calorie adjustment for weight loss thing, but before then, I'd set that goal on the back burner just temporarily. It sounds like you have a really positive attitude about this, so kudos to you. Identifying tongue and lip ties can be challenging as some pediatricians just plain old aren't trained to know about it. And the science behind lactation is scant, too. So we all have to help each other.

Some good resources for you:

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-calories-fluids/

http://www.kellymom.com/health/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/low-supply/

The last one especially was helpful for me.

What about his latch is painful for you? I'm just curious, maybe we can troubleshoot?
  • sueclare38
    Options
    type breastfeeding under foods in mfp and it comes up, there's loads of different ones, it then takes those calories off what you've already eaten, just make another entry in your diary for nursing. If you're confused by how I've explained then look at my diary, it's open. I only deduct 200 as my daughter is almost 2 and only feeds 1-2 times a day.
  • imzadi481
    imzadi481 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I can't help with your original question, but I wanted to say: WTG for keeping breastfeeding even with the challenges. My third child was tongue tied and had latch problems. It hurt my nipples really badly and things took about 7 months to get better. But I nursed her until she was 2.5 years-old, and it was great :)

Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • Care76
    Options
    SueClare! I had a look and then I added it to my diary. :-)

Jessmashburn, my boy will nurse on and of all morning but in the afternoon he usually only does before his naps and bedtime. But he does have really good sessions where a few months ago he went through a nursing strike. So I am just thankful he nurses as much as he does, which is usually 5 times a day ( more with his smaller sessions in the morning, but I lump them all into one feeding).

I am on domperidone. And I had to wean down very slowly as well. I think I am retaining water as well because my weight fluctuates a few pounds every day (from one morning to the next). I stopped weighing myself because I need a new battery in my scale. But I thought maybe it was a good thing as I was getting discouraged. I was walking 5.5 km/hr for an hour every day and cut out dairy and wheat for a month and I still gained weight.

Spatula thumbs, I live kellymom and have been to her site lots and read all of those and more. With the supply issues, the doctors/lactation consultants don't think it will improve until his lip tie (and possibly tongue) is released. Same with his latch. It feels like sandpaper on my nipples and my nipples are sore. I have to say it is much improved since his last tongue tie release almost 6 months ago, but it started slowly getting worse again. The doctor thinks is could be because his tongue is tighter than it was. We have done craniosacral therapy and many sessions with Dr. Jack Newman (if you haven't heard of him look him up, he is a breastfeeding expert and had a amazing clinic to help mamas like me who need help). I can stand the nipple pain most days. I was told I also have nipple vasospasm.

Also, my baby is 10 months now. That it's why I thought maybe I could start trying to lose weight.

imzadi, thank you! We have waited 13 years for our precious baby and I want the very best for him. I love the closeness we have with nursing and it is something I dreamed of doing for so many years (that and just being able to have a baby). I don't think I will be giving it up any time soon. I hope to get to two years. :-)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi Care76,
    Ok, so I admit my knowledge of lip-tie/tongue tie is shaky at best, and I am so glad you've gotten help from some of the best in the field! I really hope the new release(s) help your baby's latch. It sounds like it did before, so I hope it can again. I agree with pps who gently stated that focusing on your supply might be paramount to focusing on losing weight while you struggle with a supply issue. Even moms with a normal supply can have supply issues when trying to lose weight. Your baby will thank you for all of your dedication one day!
    Why did you cut out dairy and wheat for a month? Was there any indications of intolerances?

So, I talked to my mom friend who had low-supply (mentioned in previous post of mine). I bet you've heard and tried all of this, but I am posting this in case another mom with low-supply stumbles upon this, too.
    - laidback breastfeeding (gravity helped baby stay deeper on the breast)
    - gentle breast compression while nursing
    - frequent nursing (like nursing a newborn for a very long time-- frequent emptying of breasts help signal body to make more milk)
    - healthy fats- mom-friend swears by these- they slow down the digestion quite a bit so she didn't feel nearly as hungry- olives and avocadoes were her favorites. I wonder if that might help you with Domperidone, I don't know anything at all about that drug but anything that slows down digestion might help if that makes your stomach empty fast.
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Wow, so much help, thank you all!

MaddyMama, I have not been to any LLL meetings. They are always at a time I can't make it. I have been quite a few times to the International Breastfeeding Center (Jack Newman's clinic) and have had tons of help. I have seen about 8 lactation consultants and basically it comes down to my sons latch (which is painful at times). We are driving a few hours and taking him for laser surgery on his lip tie (and they might release his tongue again since it has reattached). We are hoping after that his latch and hence my supply will improve. Even if it doesn't it will help prevent some dental issues.

I try to cook with coconut oil add it is very healthy. I do eat nuts and protein to try and fill up. The medication I take is for people with chronic upset stomach so it moves food out of the stomach very fast. That is why I can eat and 10-20 mins later I am hungry again. It stinks.

Heatherbear, the lactation consultants I saw told me to eat whenever I was hungry but try to eat healthy, which is what I am trying to do. I thought about cutting carbs but I was told not to until finished breastfeeding.

What is the difference between adding breastfeeding as an exercise and setting my calories to add an extra 500?

there is no difference. i just have to say, dont worry about losing weight until after the ties are clipped and your supply is up. him being able to eat right and your supply going up will off set what you eat. let your supply get regulated and then worry about diet.

i dont lost weight until baby is older. i understand how you feel. i lost 40 lbs before i got pregnant with this last one. i felt good. it was hard to see the scale go back up even though it was bc i was growing a baby. i was super depressed after baby being born bc i felt all out of shape and lumpy. it will come off again. i know that waiting for it is hard, but wait until your supply is ok. then after that, bfing will help you lose it.

eta: i am nursing my third baby at 14 mo. i nursed the previous 2 until 2 years. i understand how you can want to have a nursing relationship so bad. i have absolutely loved it. i practice ap as well. patience mama. it will happen!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I went with 500 calories until he was a year. I would eat back most of the exercise calories and set your goal to 1/2lb/week or 1lb/week, not more than that, so that you are eating enough.

Kellymom.com says you are probably using more like 750 calories a day to breastfeed, so when people give themselves 500, there is already a deficit built in - you don't want to push it much more than that.

You can always do it for a month and re-evaluate whether you should drop or add some calories.

There is really no perfect way to log it, but I lean toward just adding 500 cals to your goal because that will also up your macronutrients proportionately.
  • KRB28
    KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm having issues right now keeping my supply up. My son is 8 months old and nurses 4-5 times a day and I'm struggling to eat enough to keep my supply. I also burn 500 calories every day due to exercise. I'm so busy with my toddler and baby that getting a second to eat is tough (but I do eat 6 times a day just not very calorie dense foods). I am losing weight but I'm trying to make keeping my supply up my main focus but it's proving to be difficult!
This discussion has been closed.