Logging at Christmas

Options
124»

Replies

• Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options

To break it down in honest terms, you aren't talking about letting loose on Christmas itself (aka 1 day), you are talking about "going crazy" for 3 weeks. That is a recipe for disaster, IMO.

I started MFP in early 2011, lost 30 pounds and have been maintaining for close to 2 years, so this will be my 3rd holiday season coming up. What I have found is that kind of mentality will be exactly what will do you in. You have to eat healthfully and mindfully the bulk of the time or you will gain weight, period. When I was actively losing weight, what I did was instead of reducing calories, I ate at maintenance. This gave me some extra calories in that danger period of Thanksgiving to New year's, but I didn't undo all of my hard work. I also do not count calories on Thanksgiving Day or Christmas Day. One day off once in a while won't set you back. Eating whatever you want, whenever you want for a month's time will.

Don't undo what you have worked hard for.

This :)
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Last year, I was at around 55 lbs lost at Christmas with about 35-40 to go. I logged. I worked hard to get where I was and I didn't want to blow it. I let myself have everything I wanted, but logging helped keep me accountable and stopped me from having too much of a good thing...I made it through, and although the losses slowed for a few weeks , I didn't gain , and I was able to get back to losing right away. It was a nice break, and helped to to see that you can have your cake, and eat it too... only just keep it to one serving, lol. Now, I'm at maintenance, and the same rules apply. :D That's to point of all this. Learning how to live every day, including Christmas, enjoy life, and eating good food, all while staying healthy and keeping my weight under control. One day at a time.

You're one smart cookie !!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I won't log everything but I won't stuff my face either I grab a little bit of everything and make sure I don't over do it!!!
  • aphroditesmaiden
    aphroditesmaiden Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I log EVERYTHING. Even my cheat days. That way things don't get out of hand. It keeps me accountable. I ate what I wanted last Christmas and still lost weight that week because I exercised on my Gazelle Glider like a beast. I recommend that method. Worked great and I felt like an effing champ for losing at Christmas time. XD (Or maintaining if that's where you're at).
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    just another day might as well log it don't beat yourself up though and indulge a little its only once a year
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Last year, I was at around 55 lbs lost at Christmas with about 35-40 to go. I logged. I worked hard to get where I was and I didn't want to blow it. I let myself have everything I wanted, but logging helped keep me accountable and stopped me from having too much of a good thing...I made it through, and although the losses slowed for a few weeks , I didn't gain , and I was able to get back to losing right away. It was a nice break, and helped to to see that you can have your cake, and eat it too... only just keep it to one serving, lol. Now, I'm at maintenance, and the same rules apply. :D That's to point of all this. Learning how to live every day, including Christmas, enjoy life, and eating good food, all while staying healthy and keeping my weight under control. One day at a time.

You're one smart cookie !!

I love that
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I log. If I don't partake this year as I haven't in the last two of mindless eating of all the extra special treats at the holidays, they will be there next year. My gift to the rest of the world, you can have my share. I just read a blog with the quote -

If you desire, admire, don't acquire.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I hadn't really thought that far ahead ;)

Christmas here is in the middle of Summer, so that means pool, drinks, cold meats, bbq and salads. I think I can manage with that. I don't generally eat the dessert/sweet items anyway, but I don't mind the occasional sweet biscuit or snack.

Beckieboomoo, we having Boxing Day here in Australia :)

Fitting in the time to exercise will be more of a challenge. I'm working on that!

i want a summer christmas! :) and yup fitting in exercise gonna be hard my parents arent together neither are my bf parents so 4 families to fit in to such a short time!

No you do not want a summer christmas. It's hot.... very hot, by that time of year. Last thing you want is to be out in the heat with family all damn day.

But then every christmas it's rained as far as I can remember.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Christmas day and Thanksgiving day I don't worry about it. All the other days, yes. I keep on logging.

I do this as well, though there are a few more times through the season that I don't log like a Holiday Party, ect..
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who has already planned Thanksgiving dinner. I am debating whether or not my family will have me tarred and feathered if I replace the pasta in the Mac and cheese with cauliflower. I probably shouldn't. The kids in my family would really hate that.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Last year at Thanksgiving I had been on MFP a little over 3 months. We had Thanksgiving dinners at 3 different places and Christmas dinners at 2 places. I logged everything and ate smaller portions than I had in past years but I had some of everything that I wanted. I did this at each of the holiday meals. I certainly went over my calorie goal but I continued to lose. I am now on maintenance and I plan on doing exactly what I did last year.
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I still log Christmas, but I am also not afraid to indulge a little. For the most part, I still count calories, but I don't fret if I go over a little. I don't go crazy, but I indulge a little.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If you do not indulge from time to time, the chance of failure all around rises exponentially. I eat at home before going to a party, cuts down on eating as much rich food.
  • auntierox
    auntierox Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I will log as much as possible over the holidays. I have maintained my weight loss for 2 years and it is all about being accountable to yourself. Eat what you want in moderation then get back on track after the holidays.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    We need to pace ourselves. It isn't even Halloween yet. I didn't start seeing these threads last year until November.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I log each and every thing I eat (to the best of my abilities anyway), even if it's massive quantities and/or junk food. If I'm in the red by 2000 calories then it is what it is and I move on, but Christmas or any other holiday doesn't stop me from logging. I definitely don't overly restrict myself on those days however I do take full accountability for the food I put in my mouth.

Edit to add: I agree it does seem really early for christmas threads!! Halloween and Thanksgiving first!