Getting More Veggies? and Bloating Issues

Options
I have been working on eating healthier and cleaner over the past month. I have been doing well, but I need ideas on how to get more veggies in my meals, especially dinners. I am so used to making meat the main dish in the meal, with a starch and veggie on the side. So I am getting more meat than anything else. I want to find a way to make the veggie more central in our dinners, but I just don't know how. I'm not sure where to look for recipes or how to modify recipes to change this. I would love some help. thanks!

Also, I have just been having general stomach issues since I started changing the way I eat. For the first two weeks my stomach hurt constantly (prob due to eating so any fruits and veggies that I never ate! And also smaller portions). That stopped, but now it seems like I can't eat much in one sitting and I often get bloated. I am not sure if it is what I am eating or not....Some days I cant get near my calories because I am not hungry, and I can't really eat after say 7 because then I feel sick while Im sleeping. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• weali
    weali Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    allrecipes.com
  • TodayImEvolving
    TodayImEvolving Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'd say the first thing you should do is go to a vegetable market, pick out a few vegetables you haven't tried and google a great recipe that makes that vegetable the hero. That's what I've started doing. For instance, I bought an eggplant, came home and found a pretty gnarly recipe for Eggplant Parmigiana! I did a bit of recipe adjusting to make it more me and vuala! Try squash, zucchini, eggplant, and different kinds of mushrooms! :)
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    As the weather is beginning to cool down for fall, it is perfect soup weather- which may be the perfect antidote for everything you mention. There is a PHENOMENAL green soup recipe out there, let me find it.....

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/basic_green_soup.html

THIS SOUP IS AMAZING. It is KEY to slow-cook the onions and follow the directions. My husband hates greens, watched me make this for the first time in absolute disgust, but then had to admit that it was pretty good when he tried it. It's packed with vitamins and minerals, is super easy to make, and very easy to digest as it's pureed.

Find recipes for lentil soup; it's great on the tummy, and easy to add greens to.

Also, if you have stomach issues and need something soothing, try this mung soup. http://www.yogamurrieta.com/node/715

It also doesn't LOOK appetizing, but it's amazing: the spices and ginger are really good for a sensitive tummy, and it's incredibly flavorful and versatile (you can add just about any veggie you want and it turns out delicious). I made a big batch of it last night and it is very filling and satisfying, without leaving you feeling heavy and sick. In fact, I was amazed by how light and happy I felt after eating it, and decided that it will be a staple meal for me this fall/winter as I work on my goals.

I don't add the cheese- it doesn't need it, but as the winter sets it it will probably be nice.

Also, it's very cheap to make once you have the spices on hand. If you don't have the spices yet, buy them in bulk; it's waaaay cheaper than buying them already jarred and packaged.

Hope that helps, and if not, that you find what you need to feel better! Good luck, my friend :)
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite things to eat is what I call Black Bean "chili" (I realize it's not proper chill) - black beans, corn, peppers, and tomatoes. I eat it over brown rice or quinoa, as well as in wraps for lunch. My husband who is not a vegetarian likes it as a side with his dinner.

When I do pasta I add lentils, peppers, celery, spinach, kale to my pasta sauce.

Stirfrys are great because you can still have meat but have mostly vegetables and a wide variety of veggies work for this.

Check out Vegetarian Times, TheKindLife.com, MindBodyGreen.com. They have fantastic vegetarian recipes.

I can't really help with the bloating issues but I can suggest that you start each morning with some warm water with lemon. It's great for digestive issues, along with lots of other things.
  • FaithHope76
    FaithHope76 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the great replies!