Adults of MFP: When did your metabolism catch up to you?

Options
Ever since I started working out 45+ minutes almost every day my metabolism has been faster than ever. I realize as I get older this won't always be the case...but I want to know how much longer I have haha

When did you notice your teenage/youthful metabolism begin to diminish?

Replies

• Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Don't know what you're talking about. I've been 19 yo for quite some time now..
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    When I was in junior high school was the first time I ever felt fat. It has been downhill ever since then [haha]. But now I am at a 23 bmi in the healthy range burning about 2500 calories per day and I am happy with that at 53 years old.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's a bit of a Myth your Metabolism slowing down as you get older. Yes it does but only around 100 calories every 10 years (so nothing significent in reality) what happens is people just get less active as they get older so less muscle so slower metabolism. So keep active is the key no matter your age
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It's a bit of a Myth your Metabolism slowing down as you get older. Yes it does but only around 100 calories every 10 years (so nothing significent in reality) what happens is people just get less active as they get older so less muscle so slower metabolism. So keep active is the key no matter your age

^^Good to know.^^

I also read somewhere HGH helps to slow muscle mass loss.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Mine slowed down A LOT when I quit smoking. I used to never have to think about what I ate. Probably because smoking elevates your heart rate...but it also kills you. I'm fine at this point with staying away from the cigarettes and just working my butt off to keep my metabolism up.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I am a sloth. I started out slow, and it got worse from there.

sloths_slow_or_everything_fast_meme_cuipo.jpg
  • chi_chi_22
    Options
    After my pregnancy 23 years old!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^yep
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

^^yep

Double yep
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Ever since I started working out 45+ minutes almost every day my metabolism has been faster than ever. I realize as I get older this won't always be the case...but I want to know how much longer I have haha

I've never in my life had a fast metabolism. I run 3-4 miles/weight lift three days a week and walk 3-4 miles the other four days a week, and my metabolism has not really sped up. It's just that I'm exercising off the pounds I gained, plus I'm not putting a bunch of sugar into my body (loaded with calories, plus I have a sugar sensitivity).

I think whether or not your fast metabolism lasts depends upon the person. I know people in their 50s and 60s who don't work out, are not overweight but eat well and maintain their weight, thus their metabolism is right on track.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    My metabolism didn't change. However my activity level significantly dropped when I was 35 and that was when I gained weight. As soon as I got active again my "metabolism" "sped up."
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Well I was over 50lbs overweight by the time I graduated, so 16? 17?

Seriously, my metabolism is way better now, 15 years later than it's ever been. Building LBM and being active far outweighs any possible effect of aging.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I noticed it when my youthful activity became less and I became deskbound at about 25. Now that I'm moving again, my youthful metabolism has come roaring back.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

^^yep

Double yep

Triple.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    slow metabolism? fast metabolism? no. neither. that word gets thrown around, and concept get applied to it that have no basis in reality. Worse, when a mechanism for an actual metabolic shift is identified, it gets blown way out of proportion and people blame everything on it. Humans love making excuses (myself included)... this thread is a perfect example of that.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    My metabolism didn't change. However my activity level significantly dropped when I was 35 and that was when I gained weight. As soon as I got active again my "metabolism" "sped up."

^this. I'm hungry all day every day and I eat like a horse. Ten years ago I never felt hungry, ate one large meal a day, and got fat. *shrug*
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options

I also read somewhere HGH helps to slow muscle mass loss.
    HGH, Human Growth Hormone, Can have serious side effects/results. It actually increases muscle mass gains by a lot but just like steroids, it comes at a price.

Some people turn to a substance called human growth hormone (HGH) in hopes that it will keep them feeling and looking youthful. But experts say that hope is unfounded. And worse, these products can be harmful.

HGH, produced by the pituitary gland, spurs growth in children and adolescents. It also helps to regulate body composition, body fluids, muscle and bone growth, sugar and fat metabolism, and possibly heart function. Produced synthetically, HGH is the active ingredient in a number of prescription drugs and in other products available widely over the Internet.

HGH Uses and Abuses

Synthetic human growth hormone was developed in 1985 and approved by the FDA for specific uses in children and adults. In children, HGH injections are approved for treating short stature of unknown cause as well as poor growth due to a number of medical causes, including:

Turner's syndrome, a genetic disorder that affects a girl's development.
    Prader-Willi syndrome, an uncommon genetic disorder causing poor muscle tone, low levels of sex hormones, and a constant feeling of hunger.
    Chronic kidney insufficiency.
    HGH deficiency or insufficiency.
    Children born small for gestational age.
    In adults, approved uses of HGH include:

Short bowel syndrome, a condition in which nutrients are not properly absorbed due to severe intestinal disease or the surgical removal of a large portion of the small intestine.
    HGH deficiency due to rare pituitary tumors or their treatment.
    Muscle-wasting disease associated with HIV/AIDS.
    But the most common uses for HGH are not FDA-approved. Some people use the hormone, along with other performance-enhancing drugs such as anabolic steroids, to build muscle and improve athletic performance. Yet HGH's effect on athletic performance is unknown.

Because the body's HGH levels naturally decrease with age, some so-called antiaging experts have speculated and claimed that HGH products could reverse age-related bodily deterioration. But these claims, too, are unproven. The use of HGH for antiaging is not FDA-approved.

Nevertheless, some people obtain injectable HGH from doctors who prescribe it for off-label purposes (uses for which it was not approved by the FDA) and through Internet pharmacies, antiaging clinics, and web sites.

Others purchase HGH products -- or products that claim to increase your body's own production of HGH -- in the form of pills and sprays. Companies that market these products on TV infomercials or online claim they turn back your body's biological clock, reducing fat, building muscle, restoring hair growth and color, strengthening the immune system, normalizing blood sugar, increasing energy and improving sex life, sleep quality, vision, and memory. However, the Federal Trade Commission has seen no reliable evidence to support the claim that these products have the same effects as prescription HGH, which is always given by injection. Taken orally, HGH is digested by the stomach before it can be absorbed into the body.

HGH Side Effects and Other Hazards

Possible side effects of HGH use include:

nerve, muscle, or joint pain
    swelling due to fluid in the body's tissues (edema)
    carpal tunnel syndrome
    numbness and tingling of the skin
    high cholesterol levels
    HGH can also increase the risk of diabetes and contribute to the growth of cancerous tumors.

Furthermore, if you get the drug illicitly, you may not know what you are really getting. Because of the high cost, HGH drugs have been counterfeited. If you are not getting HGH from your doctor, you may be getting an unapproved product.

You also should speak with your doctor before considering any form of HGH.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I *thought* my metabolism slowed down in my late 20s, but it was more than I went from an on-my-feet-all-day job to a cushy desk job, and didn't change my eating habits.

I'm now in my early 40s, more active than I was when I had a cushy desk job, and my metabolism is just peachy. :smile: I'm currently working from home as an artist, but I'm always flitting about like a hummingbird.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    With me it was weird - in my teens and twenties I never really thought about food as anything more than something that would stop me being hungry. Eating was just one more chore.

When I was pregnant with my second, though, I was suddenly able to taste everything properly and I 'got' it.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Probably sometime prior to being diagnosed with hypothyroidism. At one time unable to put groceries away after shopping without taking a nap first.