Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

exercising too much or eating too little?

Hey guys,

I am trying to lose about 20lbs after gaining weight from abandoning clean eating and exercise for about 6 months due to a some major life changes. I have always weighed around 135lbs and been very active. I am eating cleanly again (I am Paleo) and exercising -- I do 3x/week weight training and 3x/week 1 hour of brisk walking and 1 hour a week of yoga. But after 3-4 days of consecutive workouts, I started feeling really run down and burnt out, although I am not even exercising that intensely (I used to run 5-7 miles a day!). I am eating about 1600-1800 calories/day (my TDEE is 2300 according to online calculators) so I dont think its that I am not eating enough. I took a week off of working out a few weeks ago and felt better and lost 3 lbs in that week!

Any ideas of whats going on? Should I cut back on the working out and just focus on the diet for awhile? I really enjoy working out so its frustrating that I am feeling this way! (I should mention that besides some food intolerances which I control via Paleo, I am otherwise very healthy, although my period has also been irregular recently, and I am abstinent so I am not pregnant). 27 year old female 5'6 154 lbs.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    I know for me i was very tired and run down and such, and i upped my calories and found it fixed the problem. I wasn't eating enough carbs to get me though my workouts and recovery.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    How's your sleep? For me, when I lack sleep, it doesn't matter how well I eat or the amount of exercise, I'll still feel tired and lethargic. Also it's possible you might just be overdoing it just a tad since you mentioned taking a week off and feeling much better.
  • ssm_1972
    ssm_1972 Posts: 396 Member
    BALANCE on every front is the Key, I guess.
  • unless I am underestimating my calories I dont see how this would be possible! My carbs are usually 100-150g/day.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Same thing happened to me when I got back to exercising and eating properly after a while of being quite inactive. I felt worn out the first week, took a week off and then started again really slow, adding a bit more exercise (15-20 minutes every week). After 2 weeks I was complettely back in program, and I just completed my 7th week back on track feeling great and more energetic than ever. I guess the body needs time to adapt. In my case it had nothing to do with nutrition and I was about in the same calorie range and exersice intensity as you.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    I used to not count a calorie burn from strength training. Then when I got into heavy lifting, I started waking up with a headache after every barbell day. Ran the numbers and found it was an estimated 300-600 calories I was expending and not replenishing each time. I'm maintaining on a very slight deficit (like 80 calories a day). If this is happening to you, then you could be nearly doubling your deficit, and no wonder you're tired. Since you're using TDEE method, might be good to double-check your estimates.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    If you went from little to no exercise for 6 months to high activity levels and little rest time, that could be your problem. I had to take a break for 3 months due to an injury (not exercise related) and when I started back I was such a weakling compared to my previous fitness levels. It could take a little while to bounce back. :flowerforyou:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Hey guys,

I am trying to lose about 20lbs after gaining weight from abandoning clean eating and exercise for about 6 months due to a some major life changes. I have always weighed around 135lbs and been very active. I am eating cleanly again (I am Paleo) and exercising -- I do 3x/week weight training and 3x/week 1 hour of brisk walking and 1 hour a week of yoga. But after 3-4 days of consecutive workouts, I started feeling really run down and burnt out, although I am not even exercising that intensely (I used to run 5-7 miles a day!). I am eating about 1600-1800 calories/day (my TDEE is 2300 according to online calculators) so I dont think its that I am not eating enough. I took a week off of working out a few weeks ago and felt better and lost 3 lbs in that week!

Any ideas of whats going on? Should I cut back on the working out and just focus on the diet for awhile? I really enjoy working out so its frustrating that I am feeling this way! (I should mention that besides some food intolerances which I control via Paleo, I am otherwise very healthy, although my period has also been irregular recently, and I am abstinent so I am not pregnant). 27 year old female 5'6 154 lbs.

Thanks in advance!

The salient points seem to already have been covered:

Eat more! Try TDEE - 10% for a few weeks.

Make sure you're getting plenty of sleep.

You mention a return to physical activity. I hope you started at weights that were lower than you were lifting when you stopped? You will have lost strength and could be overloading yourself. Take your time and build it back up. Rome wasn't built in a day!
  • thanks everyone, yes I actually started with walking in july, built up to longer walks with some light weight training in august and am now walking for an hour and upped my weights -- but not close to where I was lifting before! I took the past 2 days off and ate about 2300 calories yesterday... and am down 1/2lb this morning. ha! So maybe less really is more when it comes to working out?
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Could be calories, sleep, or both...
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    maybe less really is more when it comes to working out?

I think this is true. You need the appropriate rest/recovery between tough sessions to get the most out of them. Sleep and good food feed into this too. You get all that nailed down and good things start happening.... That's why walking as the non-lifting exercise between your lifting sessions is, in my humble opinion, genius.

Sounds like you've got everything else nailed down, so I would look to increasing your food intake a bit. A slimmer deficit will give you more "juice" and aid in speedier recovery.