New to strength training

Options
I dont have bad arms, but I thought since I started running, it wouldn't kill me to start out with some weights to lift while watching tv...

To do basic curls, (biceps/triceps) how heavy should the dumbbells be?

Replies

• sjaudio
    sjaudio Posts: 52
    Options
    My general rule on dumbbells is that if I'm doing three sets of 12, I should be able to do able to the the first eight of the first set without much trouble. By the time I hit the middle of the last set, I want to quit (but don't). My advice to you would be to go down to a sports store and try out a few. If you're just starting out, I'd probably grab the 10lb or 15lb weights. Those are both pretty versatile.
  • Fuhgeddaboudit
    Options
    okay that makes sense. I want to do more reps though, so I'll probably go for 5lbs.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I'm doing resistance training on a bowflex. When I started strength training I would try to do 3 sets of 6-10 reps per exercise, trying to get to MMF (momentary muscle failure). Thats when your muscle just can't do any more and collapses.

You'll just have to figure out where your starting point is but if you can comfortably do 3 sets of 12 reps then increase the weight.
    Its also important to rest 30 seconds between each set.

I'm no expert but this is how I strength train.
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Look at a GoFit Ultimate ProGym.
    It is a set of resistance with poster and DVD. You can do a lot more with it then dumb bell.