I love noodles- is there an alternative?

Options
I looooove pad thai spicy noodles. And eat waaaaay too much. Its so high in sodium too. Does anyone know where I could get a good/easy recipe to make a healthier version?

Replies

• Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Let me know too!
  • greensgirl
    greensgirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just had a GREAT noodle alternative tonight. They are called Miracle noodles, or Konjac noodles. You can look them up on the web. They have many benefits and are made from a plant fiber. They take on the taste of whatever you cook them with. I made spaghetti tonight with them and they reminded me of top ramen. The amazing thing is, they have zero calories! They kind of look gross in the package (you don't have to cook them) but, once they were rinsed and dried, they looked really good! The nice thing for me is that I can't have wheat and so this is a great zero calorie alternative.
  • smithbuddy
    Options
    alton brown has a great eggplant parm. its on youtube look up (alton brown 1 min. eggplant) the egg plant becomes the noodles
    Oil - Vegetable, canola, 1 tbsp 124 0 14 0
    Eggplant - Raw, 1 eggplant, peeled (yield from 1-1/4 lb) 110 26 1 5
    Tomatoes - Red, ripe, raw, year round average, 1 medium whole (2-3/5" dia) 22 5 0 1
    Garlic - Raw, 1 clove 4 1 0 0
    Cream - Half and half, 1 tbsp 20 1 2 0
    Cheese - Parmesan, grated, 2 tbsp 43 0 3 4
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    spagetti squash
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know where can I buy these Miracle Noodles??? Im in Australia!
  • greensgirl
    greensgirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Amazon and several other web sites sell them. I'm not sure if they have them in the health food stores yet. My aunt who owns a nutritional company is having people try them out to see what we think. They come in every pasta shape, which is great for whatever dish you want to make that would normally take pasta. They are supposed to help with stabilizing blood sugar and encouraging healthy flora in the gut as well.
  • rana_bear
    Options
    Im in Australia to & have been looking 4 miracle noodles. I've looked in a few health food shops and supermarkets but no luck. I'm gonna try Asain grocery stores because they may have them altho i read somewhere that they are called a few different things. Let me know if you have any luck finding them.
  • cassieinor
    Options
    Have you tried HealthyGirl.com? She's got a good website......has low cal, low fat alternative recipes for all kinds of dishes. Check it out. I'm just not sure there's a healthy substitute for PadThai noodles. I love 'em too........too much.
  • cassieinor
    Options
    Have you tried HealthyGirl.com? She's got a good website......has low cal, low fat alternative recipes for all kinds of dishes. Check it out. I'm just not sure there's a healthy substitute for PadThai noodles. I love 'em too........too much.
  • jenna324
    Options
    Hello! I'm a clinical nutritionist and this is a very common question that my patients ask me. I suggest tofu noodles. Sounds gross but they're actually delicious & nutritionally sound. They're perfect for pad thai as well as spaghetti or in soups. I've only seen them in high end health food stores but I'm sure you could find them cheaper online. :)

Jenna
  • pailinchong
    Options
    If you go to a Japanese or Asian grocery store, look for "Shirataki" and "tofu Shirataki" The tofu ones taste better with 20 calories per serving (as opposed to zero) but it's worth the taste. I like to also buy the block version, and cut it up into cubes and put them in soups/stir fries. Look for "konyaku" as well
  • tscotty
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll definitely try all!
  • carpjm
    carpjm Posts: 1
    Options
    Miracle Noodle are on sale on the Miracle Noodle Website, they are in Australia now. Just go to http://www.miraclenoodle.com/australia.html
  • nowic
    nowic Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    In our local market there is a thai section. There they have rice noodles. The writing is not english so might be a little hard to find, but they were white flat noodles- good luck! Btw, they are good- but if you over cook, there a little slimmy.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I make them using a seasoning mix from the grocery store with rice noodles, bean sprouts and peanuts. They are a little high in sodium, but are really good for calories and fat. I use an almost 50/50 mix of rice noodles and bean sprouts which helps with the calories. I just checked and it is 365 calories and less than 300 mg of sodium. I make mine without meat which helps as well, although my DH adds shrimp to his. I think his is still less than 500 calories.
  • cheetahsize
    cheetahsize Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Did you mean hungry girl?? I love Hungry girl! Here is her PadThai swap!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=2186
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Go to cookinglight.com and looki up spicy shrimp noodle bowl. It's delicioso!
  • carbonbeing
    Options
    I have been adding mushrooms, kidney beans, red onion, corn, and squash to pasta sauce and simmering. I don.t miss the meat or the noodles. I am not familiar with the recipe but try subbing veggies and tofu. Thin cutting squash into noodles for stir fry has worked well also if you like squash par cooked...
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Kelp noodles make a great low cal substitute for rice noodles, I've used them in phad Thai and suki-yaki with great results. The shiritaki noodles are good, too-find them both refrigerated usually near the tofu. You may also try some of the whole grain pasta, just eat a smaller portion and mix in more veggies. Some people like shredded zuccini as a pasta substitute, too.