how long did it take for you to get serious about this

Options
This is my third attempt at this site. I always start off strong and then once I see a couple pounds come off I think I got it in the bag and then I gain those few pounds right back. Some people say im not serious about losing weight but I want this more than anything. This is an addiction just like alcohol or drugs its hard to stop something that you've been accustomed to for more than a decade. I make a lot of excuses as well. I can admit that I have a problem with food. I love it. It makes me feel relaxed and at ease but I need to get control of it because im letting it take control of me. I just want to know from all of you, how long did it take from the time you started mfp to really see results or when did you finally say enough is enough? I know its different for everyone but I want to know because I feel like im the only one who just cant get this right.

Replies

• RadianWear
    Options
    Well, typically you will see results right away, but then you might level off for a bit. You have to be persistent and stick with it. Remember WHY you are doing it and visualize that goal. It certainly is not easy but it is well worth it :)
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    The first time I used MFP was the only time. I didn't quit and come back.

However, it took me about 4-5 years to get to that point. :)
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Well, I've tried off and on for years. I've gained and lost my body weight several times over. But, MFP has been a life saver for me. I was introduced to it through a weight loss contest (and I came in third!) and I've not looked back yet. I don't know what finally threw the switch for me, but I feel differently about this loss than any other time. I'm a little over a third of the way there, so I'm not finished but I do feel like this is a sustainable lifestyle change for me.

Write out your goals and put some place that you can see them daily. Buy a goal outfit and hang it where you can see it. Think about why you want to lose weight and really think about that when you get tempted to fall off the wagon.

You need to realize that this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. You can't lose weight and then just go back to the way things were, you'll just gain it all back and then some, I know, been there done that too many times.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    This is my second time trying to lose weight. First time, I lost 50 lbs, then quit... gained it all back after my second pregnancy. I've been at it for 3 months now for the second (and final) time! It's more than dieting or weight loss, it's about a lifestyle change and now that I realize that, I'm ready to move forward.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    I technically joined MFP in May 2012 after having used another site off and on for over a year, but I didn't really get serious until December 2012, when I decided that 2013 would be the year when I finally got my act together and took charge of my health. Before that point, I had logged periodically but then stopped every time I "messed up." When I decided to go for it, though, I decided that I was making my health my number one priority, and that my actions needed to reflect that. Once I followed through and did that, as of January 1, 2013, everything changed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it has been easy since then -- but it has WORKED. I've logged every single bite that I've put in my mouth (except for one week at a health resort where there were only healthy choices) -- the good, the bad, and the ugly. I continually ask myself whether my actions are leading me closer to my goal or taking me in the wrong direction. 57 lbs gone since that mental switch -- and I never, ever, ever would have believed it possible in November of 2012. So hang in there and figure out what you need to do to make your own mental switch. You can do it once you genuinely make it a priority.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I technically joined MFP in May 2012 after having used another site off and on for over a year, but I didn't really get serious until December 2012, when I decided that 2013 would be the year when I finally got my act together and took charge of my health. Before that point, I had logged periodically but then stopped every time I "messed up." When I decided to go for it, though, I decided that I was making my health my number one priority, and that my actions needed to reflect that. Once I followed through and did that, as of January 1, 2013, everything changed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it has been easy since then -- but it has WORKED. I've logged every single bite that I've put in my mouth (except for one week at a health resort where there were only healthy choices) -- the good, the bad, and the ugly. I continually ask myself whether my actions are leading me closer to my goal or taking me in the wrong direction. 57 lbs gone since that mental switch -- and I never, ever, ever would have believed it possible in November of 2012. So hang in there and figure out what you need to do to make your own mental switch. You can do it once you genuinely make it a priority.

That is pretty much the same path I went down. Joined MFP Sept 2012 but the "switch" had not gone off yet. I was getting increasingly frustrated and then for whatever reason I reached some internal threshold and the "switch" occurred around Feb 1, 2013. I started logging EVERYTHING with an almost religious fervor (ok, not quite that extreme :smile: ) and started regularly scheduled cardio and weight lifting workouts. The weight started coming off surprisingly quickly. I lost about 38 pounds (and reached my goal weight) towards the end of last June.

Edited to add: I just realized this month is my one year anniversary here. To add to what I was trying to say earlier: Just joining the site and casually logging my food didn't do anything for me. It wasn't until I set rigid calorie and exercise goals and did not deviate from them that I started having success. I realize my story is just my story and what worked for me won't necessarily work for others but hopefully there is something there that will be of help to someone. Good luck to all.
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    "Switch", that is the word I have been looking for. I don't know what it is about this time but it is.....easier. That's the only word I can think of, not that it is easy....not by a LOOOOOOOONG shot. Something just changed and it feels different this time around. I know it is not just the weight loss because, just like a lot of people, I lost and gained over and over and over and over since I was 20 (I'm 44 now). Most of those times I lost the weight quicker than I am now. It just doesn't feel like I'm dieting. It's a change in my life. Just like learning a new skill and applying it to my life. Mind you, I'm far from perfect. However, I do not get discouraged and just get back on track. Consistency is definitely the key.

Maybe I just finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired.
  • Seaduck79
    Seaduck79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You may consider a different approach. Rather than looking at it like a weight loss program, look at it as a lifestyle issue. There are many facets to health, and our food intake is just one of them. Are there other parts of your life that make it harder to lose weight? Perhaps look at working on better controlling those.
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It took 5 months for me to get serious but I also didn't know mfp was a whole community. I just thought it was a good journal. It wasn't until I got serious with motivation wanting to lose the weight then I started using mfp.
  • trishamcnutt
    trishamcnutt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    it took me 3-4 months of logging before I figured out what I was doing wrong and what I needed to do.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I know what has helped more this time than in the past - what's kept me picking back up and trying again every day even when I flub up a time or two on occasion....

....is the fact that I am now head 1st into my 30's lol. I am 31, (32 in march) - and I kind of see the 'grown up' approach to the 'game' of life if you will. In my 20's (and even teens) I made 'attempts' at weightloss but nothing substantial. I'm sure, subconsciously, that's because the mentality of a teenager or 'young adult' is usually - "Eh, nothing's gonna happen to me!" .... I had friends, I was 'fine' - would go to movies, go out to eat, hang out - so nothing was 'visually' a problem with my weight.....

then - i hit 30. And I started to think, "Hmmm...something's likely not right here....but we'll tread gently this year and see what happens."

then - I hit 31. And I started to think, "Ummmmm - this ain't right!" lol. I started to take more of the approach of, "What's better for my insides? This burger, you know now that I look at it really hard, it's kinda nasty overall. The lunchmeat sandwich with baby spinach on it, and some carrot sticks with pbutter for lunch-that really makes my insides happy."

So only way I can say I felt 'the change' come on --- was by age. You just get to an age where you understand it's something that's needed to do because.....you want to do it. it's true they say - you gotta have that 'want' about you. It'll come in time. Just hope it's not a medical need that causes your want to stick strong.

keep your chin up pal, it'll happen for ya! :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I was on this site for probably a year and quit twice before I got serious.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This is my third time "starting" on MFP, and I had to lose 8 pounds just to get back to my starting weight from Dec 2010. I do the same thing; I see results and think, "yeah this is easy", then it gets too easy and the pounds stop coming off. I know exactly how you feel -- you simply cannot quit food cold-turkey.
  • seniorbug2003
    seniorbug2003 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I heard something on the radio the other day about "are you ready to change?" I join in earlly 2012 and tracked for about 2 months then I was over it. This time I was with my family and I could not do what i wanted to do so I knew something had to change.

I was ready for a change. This choice for me has seeped into everything I do, say, think. It is always on my mind. Which I know can be a little OCD. However, I was ready for the lifechange.

So if you are having issues staying with it. Ask yourself are you REALLY ready for the change and hard work that will follow this choice.
    If not that is okay just dont beat yourself up if you are not ready for the hard work ahead.
    If you are ready then welcome and MFP is here to help any way it can.
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Well, I've tried off and on for years. I've gained and lost my body weight several times over. But, MFP has been a life saver for me. I was introduced to it through a weight loss contest (and I came in third!) and I've not looked back yet. I don't know what finally threw the switch for me, but I feel differently about this loss than any other time. I'm a little over a third of the way there, so I'm not finished but I do feel like this is a sustainable lifestyle change for me.

Write out your goals and put some place that you can see them daily. Buy a goal outfit and hang it where you can see it. Think about why you want to lose weight and really think about that when you get tempted to fall off the wagon.

You need to realize that this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. You can't lose weight and then just go back to the way things were, you'll just gain it all back and then some, I know, been there done that too many times.

this.
    Absolutely in the same boat.
    Losing weight for only that purpose and restricting yourself for a few weeks/months does not work. It needs to be part of a new healthy lifestyle, It took me almost 15 years to understand that!!!! The switch for me was that i was getting really a big tummy for the fisrt time ever and i was unable to do some yoga that involves bending forward/sideways. Not because of flexiibilty because of fat being in the way!!! And seeing the scale at 195lbs. My biggest EVER.

So far i write EVEYTHING that goes in my mouth and do it EVERYDAY. That helps a lot with the knowledge that i can have absolutely everything as long as it fits in my food diary. After a few weeks i realized that some foods are just not worth it anymore (fast food/junk food) because they don't give me enough nutrients or fulfill me enough. And i STILL have chocolate everyday because i can't live without it!!! But i amke sure i choose an healthy one (ffrozen udge/hot chocolate / chocoalte pudding) instead of a chocolate bar.

I do exercise (running/walking/swimming/calisthenics, yoga) but i don't go crazy about it (as before). I do it because i want to be toned (no sagging skin) and want to run a 10k (eventually half-marathon).
  • DorothyR87
    Options
    This is probably my third attempt since I started MPG. Each time I would lose around 10 lbs and then go off track. Until this last time I really never worked out and tried to lose the weight by only eating less. This time I added working out and I have really stuck with it. Now I love to run and I don't think of eating right and exercising as a chore. I think when you stop looking at it as just a way to lose weight you will stick with it longer.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You may consider a different approach. Rather than looking at it like a weight loss program, look at it as a lifestyle issue. There are many facets to health, and our food intake is just one of them. Are there other parts of your life that make it harder to lose weight? Perhaps look at working on better controlling those.

I agree. Don't look at it as a diet. If you want to change, you will. You have to get yourself in a completely different mindset. What do you want? Ask yourself that. You have to motivate yourself.

I've tried all kinds of diets. They didn't work for me. You have to do what's right for you. I started last April and haven't quit. I don't plan to either. Sure, everyone has off days, but just get back up on that wagon and keep going.
  • dantanjah
    dantanjah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This is my second attempt at MFP. I joined in September 2012 and quickly lost about 20 pounds before dropping off the program. I put all but 3 pounds of that weight back on and now I am ready for the new me.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    first attempt, first time slimming ever...so far its working.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    you know what guys? I am ready but I don't want to work hard. I want quick results. please no rude responses because im just being honest and I think that's the start to it all is admitting that I have a problem and what the problem is. I hate what I see in the mirror and I wake up and say ok today is the day im going to change my life and get healthy. Ill do this for 3 days or more and then quit because eating healthy is not what im used to. I don't like it. it doesn't taste good so I eat what im used to and what makes me feel good but its actually doing damage to my body. i started with quitting sodas. i haven't had a soda in 3 months. i try to incorporate more veggies and fruits in my diet now but honestly its not enough. im not doing enough but theres this thing in me that wont leave this site alone again and im not giving up this time. im just going to keep at it until i get it right