Why are US meal portions so big??

Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    What I found quite interesting after a recent trip to North America is how "in your face" all the fast food chain restaurant signs are! No avoiding dunkin donuts, Macdonalds, Wendy's etc etc...HUGE signs everywhere...it made even this non-junk food loving Brit's mouth water....honestly, imho, with such huge signs the average junk-food loving person dosnt stand a chance!!

Because signs have hands and grab you and force feed you food????? I'm sorry....I don't get the connection. Small signs, big signs, North America, Britain.....we all have free will and can choose what we eat.

don't you know? large signs are tacky and would never be allowed in the UK. and even if they were, it would only be a recent thing... if you could just go back and see of photo of say, Picadilly Circus in the 60's you would know this to be true.

4662830031_fdc0cb9350.jpg

wait...

...what?
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    LOL.. Dont know about portion sizes but dress sizes differ by 4; so an American 10 is an English 14, size 12 is a 16; 8 would be a 12 etc. Dont think that is knocking the system- just saying; its the size in inches that counts x
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    What I found quite interesting after a recent trip to North America is how "in your face" all the fast food chain restaurant signs are! No avoiding dunkin donuts, Macdonalds, Wendy's etc etc...HUGE signs everywhere...it made even this non-junk food loving Brit's mouth water....honestly, imho, with such huge signs the average junk-food loving person dosnt stand a chance!!

Because signs have hands and grab you and force feed you food????? I'm sorry....I don't get the connection. Small signs, big signs, North America, Britain.....we all have free will and can choose what we eat.

what the signs DONT have big hands to grab you and forcefeed you????....I am sooooo disappointed!!!!

But seriously, it was just an observation and actually I have lived in North America, both the USA and Canada....always noticed the huge signs...quite blots the beautiful landscapes when driving along the highways. No, none can force people to eat anything, I just feel the oh so obvious advertising of said fast-food restaurants dosnt help.
  • kordell70
    kordell70 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Food portions are price proportionate to the market demand and need to make a profit. For example, pasta is cheap to make for restaurants. Because it is cheap to make the price for pasta is generally cheaper than other items on the menu b/c (1) Consumers would not pay the same price for pasta knowing it is cheaper to make than a proportionate size amount of beef; HOWEVER, pasta is generally a bigger profit margin item for an owner. So if it costs me $2 to make a half plate of pasta and you are only willing to pay $6 at most I would only make $4 profit on the 1/2 plate. However, if I double the proportion then consumers would be willing to pay twice as much or around $12 which I think is about the average price of a simple spaghetti dish. Cost to restaurant is $4 but profit is $12 - $4 or $8. However, a full plate of pasta is huge. So the proportions are not always just "we are fat slob America" type reasons but plain old business sense. In the UK your pound is worth more than the dollar hence the proportions do not have to be as large.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    Food portions are price proportionate to the market demand and need to make a profit. For example, pasta is cheap to make for restaurants. Because it is cheap to make the price for pasta is generally cheaper than other items on the menu b/c (1) Consumers would not pay the same price for pasta knowing it is cheaper to make than a proportionate size amount of beef; HOWEVER, pasta is generally a bigger profit margin item for an owner. So if it costs me $2 to make a half plate of pasta and you are only willing to pay $6 at most I would only make $4 profit on the 1/2 plate. However, if I double the proportion then consumers would be willing to pay twice as much or around $12 which I think is about the average price of a simple spaghetti dish. Cost to restaurant is $4 but profit is $12 - $4 or $8. However, a full plate of pasta is huge. So the proportions are not always just "we are fat slob America" type reasons but plain old business sense. In the UK your pound is worth more than the dollar hence the proportions do not have to be as large.

i was tempted point out that getting people to pay more for larger portions equates to larger profits, but didn't feel like writing out an example. it is however generally true that if you make 40% margin, then it's better to sell $20 worth of products than $10. larger portions at higher prices = more sales = more profit in the register at the end of the night.
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    US portions are large because for many Americans, going out to eat is expensive. When I eat out, I'm using money I barely have, I go starving and I leave stuffed. Money well-spent. I would be equally as happy with smaller portions, provided the cost is smaller too. At fast food joints, I get a small meal for $2 and some change, but if I'm busting $10 plus tip at a restaurant, I expect $10 of food and tip-worthy service. Otherwise I'd just stay home and make ramen.

Different restaurants have different portion sizes, too. A Red Lobster will not have the same amount of food per plate as an Applebess. You went to a California restaurant and they had big servings. "Hurr durr, guess restaurants made Merica fat." Very good, you uncovered a symptom of a much larger problem. When you get right down to it, portion sizes in the United States might be larger on average than portions across the world because there is a strong consumerist element to the culture. Maybe in order to compete in the market, restaurants needed to up their portions to make up for lost quality. Maybe Americans just aren't willing to spend upwards of $10 on reasonable amounts of "meh" food.

Then again, hurr durr, maybe it's because fat Americans are fat.
  • ms_leanne
    Options
    Now please feel free to correct me but didn't Nixon stop higher tax on food too which I guess may have lead to more consumption?
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I think that portion sizes have increased gradually over the years because it's good for the restaurant owners. If a restaurant increases the size of its portions by 50%, the overhead doesn't really change- doesn't take more people to serve it or to clean up, doesn't take a higher % of space in the restaurant, etc. So you can increase the price by 50% or maybe even a little less than 50% and it's still more profitable. Bonus- your staff gets bigger tips since the bill is higher, and you don't have to do a thing. (This is why typically the smaller-portion menus for kids and seniors have age limits on them- they're not as profitable.)

Added to that is the segment of the population that expects that much food, and the segment that expects leftovers to make a couple more meals, and not too many people object. I hate it when I'm traveling, though- no way to save leftovers- so I order a couple of appetizers, making sure that one is green and low-cal and the other is a reasonable source of protein.

Buffets are another matter- I try to avoid them completely. First of all, the number of seriously overweight people with overloaded plates is scary. Second, they're either inexpensive and have crappy food or fairly expensive for what I eat.
  • sparks787
    sparks787 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The meals are larger because the market responds to what the consumers want,

dear whierd, I don't think i agree with you here, and i've heard enough of 'blame the fatties for their problems' i see the restaurants that are 'pushing' large portions as just like drug dealers, tempting their customers to buy more and more. Of course nobody else puts the food in our mouth, but it's not that simple and I think there is an addictive element to processed food. I speak as one who used to eat pizza, burgers etc. daily, now that I cook all my food at home I no longer crave my old diet. I still eat a lot - but it'smore nutritious. There is a british journalist called Jacques Peretti who's made some documentaries, you can find on you tube, about 'The Men Who Made us Thin' . The obesity epidemic cannot have started because people suddenly got greedier, it has to be the environment we're living in. What do you think?
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I think part of the reason, in the UK as well, is that the restaurants have to cater for the biggest appetites. Not many people want to still feel peckish after eating a restaurant meal, so the meals need to be at least the size that would make a large, active man feel full. And then us short women get the same sized portion!

A local Italian restaurant here does half portions for around half price, which is great for me, but probably not so good for the restaurant! The half portion is still bigger than I would eat at home.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

dear whierd, I don't think i agree with you here, and i've heard enough of 'blame the fatties for their problems' i see the restaurants that are 'pushing' large portions as just like drug dealers, tempting their customers to buy more and more. Of course nobody else puts the food in our mouth, but it's not that simple and I think there is an addictive element to processed food. I speak as one who used to eat pizza, burgers etc. daily, now that I cook all my food at home I no longer crave my old diet. I still eat a lot - but it'smore nutritious. There is a british journalist called Jacques Peretti who's made some documentaries, you can find on you tube, about 'The Men Who Made us Thin' . The obesity epidemic cannot have started because people suddenly got greedier, it has to be the environment we're living in. What do you think?

I think that you are incorrect. A restaurant is a business. They make money by selling food to a customer above their cost of operation. If they could get away with using smaller food portions for the same price, they would because it would increase their profits.
  • whierd
    Options
    I think that portion sizes have increased gradually over the years because it's good for the restaurant owners. If a restaurant increases the size of its portions by 50%, the overhead doesn't really change- doesn't take more people to serve it or to clean up, doesn't take a higher % of space in the restaurant, etc. So you can increase the price by 50% or maybe even a little less than 50% and it's still more profitable. Bonus- your staff gets bigger tips since the bill is higher, and you don't have to do a thing. (This is why typically the smaller-portion menus for kids and seniors have age limits on them- they're not as profitable.)

Added to that is the segment of the population that expects that much food, and the segment that expects leftovers to make a couple more meals, and not too many people object. I hate it when I'm traveling, though- no way to save leftovers- so I order a couple of appetizers, making sure that one is green and low-cal and the other is a reasonable source of protein.

Buffets are another matter- I try to avoid them completely. First of all, the number of seriously overweight people with overloaded plates is scary. Second, they're either inexpensive and have crappy food or fairly expensive for what I eat.

An owners food costs is often 30% of their sales. An increase of 50% would take that to 45%. And increase in cost by 50% would likely reduce traffic by quite a bit. So I disagree with you.
  • whierd
    Options

don't you know? large signs are tacky and would never be allowed in the UK. and even if they were, it would only be a recent thing... if you could just go back and see of photo of say, Picadilly Circus in the 60's you would know this to be true.

4662830031_fdc0cb9350.jpg

wait...

...what?

BOOOM!!

went her argument.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    American size 10 for a lady is.. slim, here in UK you are 14-16 and overweight. It's a different world.

You can tell by someone's size whether they are overweight?
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've just returned from a holiday in California and was amazed at the portion sizes on all the meals I had when eating in restaurants. I mentioned this to an American friend and he just replied that the US was the land of plenty and they had to support their farmers. He then left half of his stack of pancakes and it was thrown away - what is the sense of that?? Portions in the UK are much smaller and yet we have a weight problem here too.

Apparently you were not introduced to each type of restaurant in the U.S.A.

It is really sad when a person takes one experience with one friend and generalizes for an entire country. :ohwell:
    Actually I was in California for 15 days and ate out three meals a day for 12 of those days, breakfast, lunch and dinner in diners cafes and restaurants. The only time I felt comfortable with a meal was the last three days when we ate with (other) friends in their home.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

1) don't believe so-called "documentaries" on youtube
    2) the explanation is simple. food is more readily available now than ever in history. most people work at desks now instead of toiling in the fields all day. the human body is still designed for the "feast or famine" cycles that were common throughout history. now, we not only don't have famine (in the developed world), but we have leisure time and we are no longer nearly as active procuring that food nor surviving. snacking is now an option. i don't think people a 1000 years ago had the time during the day to snack. so it has nothing to do with food companies or corporations or any of that tinfoil hat nonsense... it's because life is easier and we burn less calories and food is more available and we eat more of it as a result. it's that simple.
  • triff14
    triff14 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I like the big portion sizes because then I get to take leftovers home and enjoy the meal again!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    American size 10 for a lady is.. slim, here in UK you are 14-16 and overweight. It's a different world.

You can tell by someone's size whether they are overweight?

Seriously, I'm thrilled to be getting back in to a size 12. Size 10 on me means I'm damn close to my ideal weight, but sure broad generalizations apply to everybody, right?
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm please to have shopped in the USA and bought size 10 US which equates to 14 UK - I'm wearing everything inside out to show off the label!
  • sparks787
    sparks787 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

1) don't believe so-called "documentaries" on youtube
    2) the explanation is simple. food is more readily available now than ever in history. most people work at desks now instead of toiling in the fields all day. the human body is still designed for the "feast or famine" cycles that were common throughout history. now, we not only don't have famine (in the developed world), but we have leisure time and we are no longer nearly as active procuring that food nor surviving. snacking is now an option. i don't think people a 1000 years ago had the time during the day to snack. so it has nothing to do with food companies or corporations or any of that tinfoil hat nonsense... it's because life is easier and we burn less calories and food is more available and we eat more of it as a result. it's that simple.

Dear Brainy,

1. The documentary was on BBC but you can find it on you tube

2. Clearly you are in the 'a calorie is a calorie' camp, 'calories in/calories out'. I disagree, I find the evidence for low nutrition, high fat, high sugar, highly processed food being poisonous and addictive totally convincing. You may disagree, so let us just carry on doing what we are doing. Good luck to you. :tongue: