Non-Food Coping Mechanisms and Rewards - Halp?

Options
I have some deeply-ingrained habits that are quite common, but desperately need changing.

Like many I grew up in a culture where treats and rewards were food. Good grades equaled ice cream, a good concert was a dinner out. Along the same lines, food was set as a coping mechanism. A hard day was rewarded with tea and my favorite cookies, or a whole bottle of soda.

Unsurprisingly, these are still my methods of self-soothing and self-rewarding, even though I'm no longer a puckish little thing. (Well, I might still be puckish, but I'm not little!)

When I'm wracked with stress and decision fatigue I grab chocolate. After a long day and an extended commute, I make myself a cocktail and decide that I can blow my calories during dinner. If I check something off my to-do list, I get sushi and sake.

This needs to change, stat.

I need examples because all I can see after a hard day at work is that beer and that sammich. Mustering the reserves to try and be creative takes energy that I usually don't have. I need references. Ideas. A brain-crutch for the hard days.

So...Halp?

What do you do after a hard day or during a anxiety-spiking week?

How do you reward yourself for the little accomplishments?

HOW I MINE FOR LIFESTYLE CHANGE!?

Replies

• angeleyes6480
    Options
    Some things could be maybe a massage, a new haircut for the new you, new shoes for the gym, are some longer term rewards as far as short term ummmm....lol I think I need some help on those too
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    trips!!! I plan trips for my rewards..I love to travel :)
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I rewarded myself for a hard week with a 2 hour swim on Friday. Food is not a reward, it is nourishment. Take a long walk and regroup after a hard day, you will feel better. Go the gym when you are tired, it works.
  • AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness
    Options
    I bought new gym shoes as my first big reward, just ordered a tshirt I wanted today, but I admit those are my rewards, I too, have difficulty when stressed out,, I try to go for a walk, but food is such a comfort sometimes :noway: :sad:
    Good luck
  • Raevyns
    Raevyns Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Some things could be maybe a massage, a new haircut for the new you, new shoes for the gym, are some longer term rewards as far as short term ummmm....lol I think I need some help on those too

Oooh, dig the haircut idea! I'm so bad at doing non-essential things for myself. It's been years since my curls have been tamed.

Thanks!
  • Raevyns
    Options
    trips!!! I plan trips for my rewards..I love to travel :)

For some reason trips turned into conventions (I tend to go to geeky conventions on vacations) turned into the idea of buying a new figure or book as a treat.

Nice, thanks! ^_~
  • Raevyns
    Options
    I rewarded myself for a hard week with a 2 hour swim on Friday. Food is not a reward, it is nourishment. Take a long walk and regroup after a hard day, you will feel better. Go the gym when you are tired, it works.

It's so hard building those habits. I bought myself a swimsuit and cap and went to the pool ONCE. There were a ton of parents and kids there and I've been avoiding it like the self conscious introvert I am ever since.

Mebbe I'll hop on the stationary bike after a hard day before making dinner? Hrm.
  • Raevyns
    Options
    I bought new gym shoes as my first big reward, just ordered a tshirt I wanted today, but I admit those are my rewards, I too, have difficulty when stressed out,, I try to go for a walk, but food is such a comfort sometimes :noway: :sad:
    Good luck

It so is!

/sigh

/eyes jelly beans
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    At the end of a hard day, I use a steamy bubble bath to help myself relax. (I am old enough to remember the "Calgon, take me away" commercials.
    If I see a super hard day coming early, I'll budget myself a skim sugar-free chai or skim sugar free latte on the way home from work. A 12oz drink has around 120 calories and I'm boosting my calcium along with that taste.

End of a hard week: Hike 5 miles up the mountain and back. Does wonders for my attitude to spend a few hours away with nature.

When I hit 15lbs lost, I am getting my hair colored. I like the length, but not the gray. :-)
  • KarateMadMum
    Options
    A good movie...
    Meditation..
    A long hot soak in the bath with candles nice smellies etc
    A phone call with a good friend for a gossip
    Curl up in PJs with a good book/magazine

Just generally be kind to yourself .... you deserve it!
  • Raevyns
    Options
    At the end of a hard day, I use a steamy bubble bath to help myself relax. (I am old enough to remember the "Calgon, take me away" commercials.
    If I see a super hard day coming early, I'll budget myself a skim sugar-free chai or skim sugar free latte on the way home from work. A 12oz drink has around 120 calories and I'm boosting my calcium along with that taste.

End of a hard week: Hike 5 miles up the mountain and back. Does wonders for my attitude to spend a few hours away with nature.

When I hit 15lbs lost, I am getting my hair colored. I like the length, but not the gray. :-)

I remember those commercials! I'm older than I behave. ^_~

I should have mentioned that the main source of my stress is not only the usual work/life stressors, but the fact that my commute is two hours each way. This means that I tend to choose the expedient coping mechanism rather than the more effective one because I have all of two hours to make dinner, eat, clean up and spend time with my significant other before I have to go to bed and repeat the process.

...Perhaps I can transmogrify that bath into a shower...

Anyhow, I really dig the pre-budgeted treat idea. My work spikes once a month, predictably, so I am so going to start doing that.

Thanks!
  • Raevyns
    Options
    A good movie...
    Meditation..
    A long hot soak in the bath with candles nice smellies etc
    A phone call with a good friend for a gossip
    Curl up in PJs with a good book/magazine

Just generally be kind to yourself .... you deserve it!

Thanks!:heart:

I have already decided that I am so going to buy myself an e-book or three at the end of a hard week or as a reward for a job well done. I'm book motivated.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Generally, I rest up and get ready for the following week. "Rest up" includes blowing of steam with physical activity.

Generally, I don't, as I view "little accomplishments" as part of the job of basic living and getting them done is just par for the course of life. Getting through them and living another day is already reward enough.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Four hour daily commute? NO!!!! Don't do it. Change your job, quit your job - anything. That is NOT good for your well being. Do whatever it takes... move house, downsize house - sell the dog... ANYTHING!

Also:

My favourite non-food treat:

Spending all day in my PJs under a duvet watching a box set.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Everyone is giving you great ideas about rewards, so I'll avoid repetition.
    I just wanted to add that you might want to try plan ahead to avoid having to make eating decisions when you're stressed and tired (because for sure, you'll go for the quick, easy and comforting). I'm now cooking big batches of vegetables, a ton of quinoa, etc on the weekend and decide when we'll eat what. That way, I avoid the urge to stop at a fast food place coming back home at 9pm and I'm not anxious about having to decide anything else...for the day. I also pack snacks that I can eat in the car.
    Good luck to you!
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Start off with more nutritious food options, then if you want you can switch to non foods. Berries and yoghurt, dark chocolate (antioxidants!), a homemade fruit smoothie... hot chocolate?

Id reward myself with watching tv or a movie, a bath or long shower or purchasing new music or art supplies. Sometimes I reward myself by going to sleep early! Ha!
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I try to deal with anxiety via exercise and sunshine. An hour walk does more for me than a pound of chocolate.
    Hard days end with cooking. Something about meticulously washing, cutting and boiling in the quiet of my kitchen soothes me. Not exactly non-food, but it beats the drive-thru.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    running seems to help me relieve stress. Getting p***ed at something, then taking out my frustration on the upcoming hill or long straightaway feels pretty dern good.

As for non-food rewards, perhaps a new piece of exercise gear? New shoes, some weightlifting gloves, a new dry-fit tee, things like that. Works pretty well for the wife and me. So far, at least :)
  • sj_1970
    Options

Tai Chi - Its my reset button
    Listen to music and dance crazy around my living room, so I get loose
    Lie on my floor and Sing really loudly
    Stomp around
    Go for a walk
    Go swimming
    Blog/Journal
    Meditate
    Pray
    Burn some sage
    Have a cup of tea
    Take a shower and imagine all of the stress going down the drain
    Put lotion on my feet
    Pluck my eyebrows and the stray dark hair in my woman stache' lil bastids.
    Read something meaningful - even if it's just a quote
    Wrap up in a blanket and comfort myself
    Call a friend
    Watch something funny or silly on you tube
    File my fingernails
    Make it about me
    Stretch
    Clean my car
    Go outside and cloud watch
    Go fishing - rare nowadays tho
    Do the dishes - it relaxes me
    Check my attitude if it needs adjusting I change it except PMS times I just ride through that as it comes
    I try to be mindful, sometimes I'm good at it, sometimes not so much

Rewards for the little stuff, I do a gratitude journal
    I realize that I'm frickin awesome and tell someone face to face what I did that I'm proud of.
    The things I do to manage stress from the list above are all rewards to me - I keep it simple
    I buy myself cut flowers, but it's because I love & appreciate myself and how far I've gotten in life
    Go to a concert or where there is live music
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I engage in avoidance activities (internet, lol, this place).

Best planned relaxation (imo):
    - yoga: great for those who can do it, it just feels amazing. a class is best because you've paid, signed up, have to go
    - swimming at night. forces you to take deep breaths. (the yoga does too)

Chewing gum for immediate oral fix (my other choice in that direction has been smoking :( )