Homemade Pasta Dough

Options
whierd
whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
Figured I'd share a quick recipe for homemade pasta dough. It is really quite simple.

4c flour (I used all purpose, bread flour is also great)
2Large Egg, 1 egg yolk (really, you can use all yolks if you want for a richer, more yellow pasta. in fact, my next batch will have three egg yolks)
1tb olive oil

Start by piling the flour in a mound and making a depression in the middle. Like a volcano or well. Add your eggs into the center.

50dc413f-f20f-48d3-906c-f551434087e3_zps7f6c330f.jpg

While maintaining the walls of the well/volcano, use a fork to start whisking the eggs and bringing in flour to the mixture.

20130914_140442_zps7dd8b7f9.jpg

Once the mixture starts to break apart a bit and start forming a ball, switch to your hands and continue bringing in flour slowly.

20130914_140556_zps66eb90d8.jpg

Once you have a sticky ball, push the bulk of the flour away while maintaining a floured surface and start to knead for about 5 minutes. I continue sprinkling in flour until the ball is just barely dry to the touch. Once completed, put a few drops of olive oil and coat the ball to prevent it from drying out and cover with plastic wrap.

20130914_141417_zpsd038b71a.jpg

At this point, I begin working on my second batch using the remaining flour and freeze it for later use.

Good luck!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Looks like a lot of work. I think you are going to have to travel across the country and show me how to make this. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • whierd
    Options
    Looks like a lot of work. I think you are going to have to travel across the country and show me how to make this. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

It took 10 minutes from start to finish, while pausing to rinse my hands to take pictures. :tongue:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What! No cauliflower? I am disappoint!
  • MB_Positif
    Options

It took 10 minutes from start to finish, while pausing to rinse my hands to take pictures. :tongue:

Yeah, I had a feeling it wasn't actually that time consuming. I just wanted you trick you into coming here. :kicks rocks:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If you use the dough to make tagliatelle, for example, for approximately how long do you boil it?
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I used to love making pasta dough for my homemade chicken soup... but I haven't made it in forever! Thanks for the reminder.
  • whierd
    Options

Yeah, I had a feeling it wasn't actually that time consuming. I just wanted you trick you into coming here. :kicks rocks:

Oh I'll still come over. We can have a "Ghost" moment. :laugh:
  • whierd
    Options
    If you use the dough to make tagliatelle, for example, for approximately how long do you boil it?

Just a few minutes. 3-5ish, depending on how you like your pasta.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I love home-made pasta dough.

Because I'm not great with gluten, I've started doing a chickpea pasta dough with a similar method.

100g gram flour (chickpea flour)
    1 large egg
    Knead together and then roll with olive oil

Seemples!
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump. I need something to do tonight.
  • CheekyBrahette
    CheekyBrahette Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    So what time is dinner? Shall I bring wine or beer!? :drinker:
  • whierd
    Options
    Bump. I need something to do tonight.

If you don't have a hand crank pasta machine, let me know and I'll tell you an easy way to cut it.
  • Contrarian
    Options

I like it al dente. Thanks for the recipe. :smile:
  • whierd
    Options

If you have a hand crank pasta machine, it should be pretty easy to make the noodles. If not, then use a rolling pin to roll it into a sheet, fold it over, roll again, fold it, roll it, etc. Then take some parchment paper and lightly dust it with flour, put the rectangular sheet on top, dust it with flour, put another piece of parchment paper on top, roll the whole thing up (like you're making homemade cinnamon rolls), then use a knife to cut it to the width you want.
  • whierd
    Options

stash-1-227550bd08abe666e.png
  • CheekyBrahette
    CheekyBrahette Posts: 441 Member
    Options

stash-1-227550bd08abe666e.png

Epic Love!!! :heart:
  • MB_Positif
    Options

Oh I'll still come over. We can have a "Ghost" moment. :laugh:

Haha, yay!!!
  • Contrarian
    Options

If you have a hand crank pasta machine, it should be pretty easy to make the noodles. If not, then use a rolling pin to roll it into a sheet, fold it over, roll again, fold it, roll it, etc. Then take some parchment paper and lightly dust it with flour, put the rectangular sheet on top, dust it with flour, put another piece of parchment paper on top, roll the whole thing up (like you're making homemade cinnamon rolls), then use a knife to cut it to the width you want.

Ahh. Like a chiffonade. Thanks for the pro tip. It's much better than my xacto knife/ruler idea.
  • whierd
    Options

Ahh. Like a chiffonade. Thanks for the pro tip. It's much better than my xacto knife/ruler idea.

Yup, exactly like that. And you can continue layering the parchment/pasta for a larger batch too.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    The only pasta I've ever made is noodles for soup, which I made much the same but with a little baking powder. I don't have a cool machine like SOMEONE, but it's easy enough to hand cut them, like you say.

Good stuff!