Exercising on Night Shifts!

First time poster here, so hi :) I have 7 nights shifts in a row coming up, which I have never done before all at once, and really worried about the lack of exercise I'll do and that it will throw me off track! The only ways I really work out are on the Kinect (I know) and running! And the other staff always bring lots of chocolate, crisps and cakes! Any tips anyone?

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    make sure that you get your runs in and don't eat the extra treats unless you have room for them in your daily calorie count
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    I work nights and its hard!!!! Bring in your own healthy treats, and workout as soon as your up and about when u wake up.
  • I'm working nights and I personally don't find it difficult. You don't have to snack on the foods brought in. My shop does food runs in the middle of the night.....McDonalds is about all that is open. I make my own food before work. I also workout before work. I sleep right when I get off, that way I have several hours before work to accomplish all these things. I find it easier this way vs the staying up after work and sleeping through until right before. Try it both ways and see what works better for you.
  • I do it first thing when I wake up. As far as food, make sure you create a fail proof environment by bringing your own food and snacks.
  • Losingamy
    Losingamy Posts: 28 Member
    I work nights regularly. I stop at the gym on my way home. My husband works days so there is nothing at home I'm dying to get home to see. I go workout, shower, then sleep. I either pack my lunch, or drive home and have dinner with my husband.
    Decline the snacks. Be strong. I bring in fruit for snacks and big salads for lunches. Keeps me full enough where I don't feel like snacking.

I've tried to workout right as I get up, but it's more difficult for me to workout, go home to shower, then back out to work. I find it fits easier at the end of my night, since I don't have to worry about a time crunch and possibly go to work stinky/hair wet/late. I also don't have to worry about sleeping too late and missing my workout time.
    I miss running outside, but it's too hot in the Louisiana heat during the day, and it's too dangerous at night.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    I am awful at working out because of the night shift. It's really an unnatural time to be awake and working. Even if I get 8 hours of sleep, I don't feel like doing ANYTHING during the day. :sick:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Why would working nights prevent you from working out?
  • RebekahR84
    Well, see my reason above your post. Not saying it's a good reason, but it's a reason.
  • DavPul
    Not feeling like doing anything isn't an excuse to not do anything. But hey, skipping one week of exercise never killed anybody so if you want to sleep for 16 hours a day for the next week go right ahead
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    I work nights. I find hitting the gym after work in the mornings is the best for me. Also where I work I have10-20 mins of down time which I take advantage of and go outside and walk/jog, sometimes even longer on the weekends. Does your job have a strict dress code? Mine doesn't so I'll just come into work wearing workout clothes and soon as I get off work, I head straight to the gym. Also I get up and walk around a lot. My job is a desk type job, so every little helps. I think the biggest factor is sleep though. For me, if I have a crappy sleep, I suffer. Too tired to exercise and I over eat at work to help me stay awake. Night shift does suck at times and it makes some things a little more difficult, but it's not impossible.
  • RebekahR84
    Not feeling like doing anything isn't an excuse to not do anything. But hey, skipping one week of exercise never killed anybody so if you want to sleep for 16 hours a day for the next week go right ahead

Maybe our definitions of "excuse" are different.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    I usually try and get some exercise in when I get off work in the morning.
  • DavPul

Maybe our definitions of "excuse" are different.

Truer words have never been spoken.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    This. I've been working overnights for over a year. It hasn't affected my exercise routine at all. It's pretty simple. Just do it.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    This. I've been working overnights for over a year. It hasn't affected my exercise routine at all. It's pretty simple. Just do it.
    All of the above. Working night shifts has no bearing on my being able to exercise or not. However, long shifts do. There are 2 days a week that I only have time to get 4 hours of sleep between my shifts so there is no way to squeeze in exercise. I just try and get home as quick as I can. But when working a regular overnight shift? No excuse.
  • Wow thanks for all the positive replies! As for the negative replies - I'm actually a critical care nurse so sometimes I'm super rushed off my feet especially when trying to save someone's life. And sometimes, just sometimes, I don't feel like working out after that! I must try and put my feelings to one side next time!

On a less sarcastic note, I am going to be trying to work out more often after a night shift but find I am really tired already and wouldn't be able to do my usual workout, but every little helps I suppose! I'm also going to take some of my own snacks and try to resist :)
  • DavPul
    There's not a single negative reply in this thread.
  • There's not a single negative reply in this thread.

Then maybe some people should realise how others may take their words. And maybe some others could be a little more encouraging, maybe it's not as simple to me just do to exercises after a busy night shift. I was after some encouragement, that's all.
  • I am awful at working out because of the night shift. It's really an unnatural time to be awake and working. Even if I get 8 hours of sleep, I don't feel like doing ANYTHING during the day. :sick:

IKR! And when you have finished your nights and trying to recover, it's the worst haha!
  • DavPul
    Actually, it IS that simple. I've done it and so have others. You can work out immediately after work or get some sleep and then work out when you wake. 168 hours in a week leaves plenty of time to use your xbox to work out or to go run.

Encouragement doesn't mean what you think it means. And how you take my words is a you problem
This discussion has been closed.