Motivation for an "unpleasant" exercise?

Options

Replies

• littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I enjoy lifting, but I find it hard to focus on only one thing at a time. I used to flit from lift to lift or machine to machine, even having a program.

What worked for me was putting audiobooks onto my ipod. It keeps me from getting distracted from my routine, and I only listen to the books when I'm at the gym or otherwise exercising, so it gives me extra motivation to do so.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    My two cents on the matter is that you can achieve a rebalance of your net calorie intake ('reset metabolism' is nonsense talk), by simply gradually eating more until you see a weight gain trend, and then stepping down to the previous calorie level. No need to reduce the amount of cardio you do unless you want to. Do what you enjoy.

I will second the advice that free weights are significantly more interesting than machines. And a program like Strong Lifts 5x5 takes only 30 minutes, three times a week. However, free weights aren't the be-all and end-all of strength training. It's probably the most efficient, for sure, but only if you can get in the gym and actually do it.

Check out things like TRX, kettleball training, crossfit, and other more dynamic strength training. They may fit better with you cardio mindset. There are choices for increasing strength, and the best program is always the one you can stick to consistently.

Make that four cents.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I get such a rush from lifting, and I see results SO much faster! But I guess that's just my preference. I had to cut down on my running also because of a minor surgery and because I am so freaking sore from the lifting, but I like it. It's good pain! I have a blast at the gym. Everyone is really cool there, but you have to find the right gym for you. :)
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I thought I needed to lift because it's all the rage anywhere you read online and I ended up hurting my rotator cuff and spending thousands of dollars in physical therapy. My shoulder is still screwed up and always will be unless I have surgery.

I have a theory: Some people are really good at lifting weights. Some people are very good runners, swimmers, bikers etc. etc. and whatever you're good at and love your body is probably built for. My body is in no way built to be a lifting machine. I bring in the groceries. There - I lift. I'm built like a stick. I don't have a large bust or butt or anything else and as a stick I'm a pretty good runner.

I have to try to force myself to do the elliptical and rower because those are safe things that help me change up my routine but I'm not going back to lifting even if every other article I read urges me to.
  • DancesWithBirds
    DancesWithBirds Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had a difficult time when I first picked up weight lifting about a year ago. I was uncomfortable in that area of the gym and unfamiliar with the exercises. I could have just continued doing my cardio and been happy with it, but I started lifting because I knew it would get me the results that I wanted. I worked hard on learning the equipment and exercises, and though I didn't always love actually going to the gym, I did learn to look forward to challenging myself each and every time.

I stopped going to the gym at the end of July because I developed a really nasty staph infection in my leg. I took August off to recover and stopped logging and went on maintenance. I lost more weight, but I can feel that a lot of it has been muscle and it's really, really bothering me. Right now I'm waiting for the money to be able to buy another gym membership and start up again.

So, for me, the motivation is the results themselves. Feeling strong and having a tight body is addictive. But this came from almost a full year of lifting. To get there, I relied on imagining that the program was doing what I wanted it to do and that it would get me to where I wanted to be.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I still don't get why you need to cut back or do a reset. You don't look overweight so weight loss shouldn't be your goal so much as being fit for the sports you enjoy. If you enjoy running then do more. If you're regularly competing, then you'll develop a physique more akin to Olympic runners. But you'll have to eat to train. If I were running seriously, I'd be aiming for 3-4000 calories a day. I'd also bin the scales. I mean, you don't think the likes of Mo Farah got lean by eating just 1200 a day. I suspect he eats a hell of a lot but trains like kerazy.

Pilates should be enough to develop upper body muscle if you continue to make it challenging (and not by increasing the time but adopting tougher postures). I don't really know much about pilates but I do know a bit about gymnastics/calisthenics - look at Barstarzz and you'll see those guys have a really decent physique all from bodyweight work. They don't just do push ups to develop a chest, they'll move to planches which are undeniably much harder than push ups. It's about continually pushing the limits of your body's ability and by pushing your body adapts and gets stronger whether you're lifting a barbell or using mechanics to make your bodyweight hard to shift.
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I still don't get why you need to cut back or do a reset. You don't look overweight so weight loss shouldn't be your goal so much as being fit for the sports you enjoy. If you enjoy running then do more. If you're regularly competing, then you'll develop a physique more akin to Olympic runners.

I don't have a recent photo of myself up there. I've gained at least 15 pounds since my thinnest one...

As for the competing... I don't. I just like running more than anything else I've tried. ;-)
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Find something you like. Lifting does not have to be dumbbell curls, etc.

Check out Turkish Get Ups.
    Check out Convict Conditioning bodyweight ebook.
    Check out kettlebell workouts.

Check out Fi Silk. She is one incredibly bad woman!!! And has achieved her strength and physique with bodyweight training and very limited barbell work (only squats and DLs).

http://www.youtube.com/user/fisilk/videos

Strength workouts can be created in a variety of ways. If you don't like barbells or dumbbells, then find something you enjoy and go heavy and hard.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    No wonder Mo Farah looks so chunky these days. He's obviously running too much.

(Serious point here)
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    I still don't get why you need to cut back or do a reset. You don't look overweight so weight loss shouldn't be your goal so much as being fit for the sports you enjoy. If you enjoy running then do more. If you're regularly competing, then you'll develop a physique more akin to Olympic runners.

I don't have a recent photo of myself up there. I've gained at least 15 pounds since my thinnest one...

As for the competing... I don't. I just like running more than anything else I've tried. ;-)

Oh, I saw your photo and assumed you competed. Perhaps that's what you need to do then you'll train and eat right. :)
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    If your lifting is boring, you're probably going way too light.

Regardless, you don't HAVE to truly enjoy something, you only have to enjoy the results. I bet you don't love your job. Would you go to work if you didn't get paid? 99% of people would say no. But we all enjoy getting paid and thus we spend 8+ hours a day, 5 days a week at a job we might not particularly enjoy. With lifting you only need to spend an hour a day, three days a week and you get paid back with a great body. I'd call that a pretty good deal.

Truth. And makes me thankful that I do LOVE my job. And lifting. Life is good.

:laugh: Okay, so you're with me and the other one percenters who would go to work w/o getting paid. I practically do that now with all of the extra work that I do. No complaints, though. I do it bc I LOVE my job and my company! I've always been lucky like that. Very blessed.
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Sorry I dont understand either I would just eat more and do calisthenics because I dont like lifting either!

Eating for a week of 2500 cals wont put that much weight on you (I guess 7lbs without exercise ) and It would definitely reset your metabolism just like If I go on holiday I eat solid for a week.then Ill comeback and cut and thats with NO Lifting!

I do 12 weeks rest 1 week(I eat everything I want)

Happy reset :)
  • debi_f
    Options
    Oh, I saw your photo and assumed you competed. Perhaps that's what you need to do then you'll train and eat right. :)

Ah, I understand! Actually, I ran one 5K last March -- that was it! I've thought of doing another, but haven't worked up the courage. ;-)
  • darrensurrey
    Options

Ah, I understand! Actually, I ran one 5K last March -- that was it! I've thought of doing another, but haven't worked up the courage. ;-)

Ah. If you enjoyed it, then that's perfect motivation for doing another. FWIW I like running as much as you like weight lifting. When I lift, what keeps me doing boring repetitive lifts week in week out is visualising the goal. Why do I hit my shoulders with numerous shoulder exercises? I want to develop broader shoulders. Over time, it's working. Similarly, why might you run 10k every other day? Because then you're able to eventually run a marathon. Consistency is key.
  • debi_f
    Options
    This morning, I ran 5K then went to my Pilates class. Know what? I feel GREAT!

Running and Pilates make me feel strong, healthy, flexible and ... well, just so good!

Maybe it's best to just stick with what makes you happy. I know I'll do these things, and I'm healthier for being active. Yes, I know lifting would be good for me, but it won't do anything at all if I procrastinate, then end up doing nothing, right?

I have to admit, though, that the body-weight training is a bit more interesting than straight weight lifting. If I add some body-weight to the mix, would that have the same (or similar) effect as working in the weight room?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Machines are not weight lifting.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, though, that the body-weight training is a bit more interesting than straight weight lifting. If I add some body-weight to the mix, would that have the same (or similar) effect as working in the weight room?

You won't win any powerlifting competitions with bodyweight exercises, but that's not your goal. You CAN build an incredibly strong and incredibly beautiful body via bodyweight (and diet of course). Have you watched many "bar calisthenics" on youtube? How about high level gymnasts?

Ask a guy at he gym who is overhead pressing 120# if he can do a handstand pushup? Ask the girl squatting 120# if she can do a pistol squat? Very different exercises. Very different goals for those people. Think past regular bodyweight squats and pushups. Thing about pistol squats and human flags. YES, bodyweight training can give you insane results and strength. I'm the girl who can squat 170# but can hardly get parallel on my pistol squat. I find bodyweight challenging and interesting! And I shed a butt-load of fat doing it, too. :smile:
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.
    Forget the machines. They're terribly boring and only exercise a tiny portion of your muscles.
    Use discipline. For example, make lifting a prerequisite to working on writing for the day (on lifting days).

I don't know how you could possibly get bored with a 30-minute routine of heavy lifting. I HATE going to the gym and I hate using the machines even more. It makes me gag to think of it. But I have been lifting heavy in my home for a month and I cannot possibly imagine getting bored or hating it. I LOVE it and look forward to the days when I am "allowed" to lift.

If you REALLY want to reset your metabolism, you'll do what it takes to do that. And check out these groups:
    Eat More to Weigh Less.
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

Good luck!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.
    Forget the machines. They're terribly boring and only exercise a tiny portion of your muscles.
    Use discipline. For example, make lifting a prerequisite to working on writing for the day (on lifting days).

I don't know how you could possibly get bored with a 30-minute routine of heavy lifting. I HATE going to the gym and I hate using the machines even more. It makes me gag to think of it. But I have been lifting heavy in my home for a month and I cannot possibly imagine getting bored or hating it. I LOVE it and look forward to the days when I am "allowed" to lift.

If you REALLY want to reset your metabolism, you'll do what it takes to do that. And check out these groups:
    Eat More to Weigh Less.
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

Good luck!

^^^ this.

Thing is, having read this thread, I don't think you've given actual proper heavy lifting a chance. you've done machines, found them boring, and written the whole thing off already. You can't say you hate something if you've never actually done it. You don't have to lift heavy, and i'm sure not everyone likes it, but the point is you've never done it, so how do you know?
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You don't have to use the gym. I lift at home. I use Kelly Coffee-Myers DVD's with 8lb, 10lb, 12lb, and 15lb. weights. My arms/legs look great and the lifting has increased my running speed. Her DVD's are 25-30 minutes. I've gotten all mine of amazon!