too much sodium !

Options
okay sooo we tend to eat out when my step kids are here and I tried not to eat more than necessary today (failed b/c it was sooo good ) and managed to stay under my calories but I still go over on my sodium and fat ! Its sooo irritating to see those red numbers darn it! So I was wondering, is there any way to counter the sodium I take in or do I just need to start watching the sodium as much as I do the calories ? YES I know I can just stop myself from eating so much but for now IM just wondering how to deal with it when and if I do mess up again.

Replies

• StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    okay sooo we tend to eat out when my step kids are here and I tried not to eat more than necessary today (failed b/c it was sooo good ) and managed to stay under my calories but I still go over on my sodium and fat ! Its sooo irritating to see those red numbers darn it! So I was wondering, is there any way to counter the sodium I take in or do I just need to start watching the sodium as much as I do the calories ? YES I know I can just stop myself from eating so much but for now IM just wondering how to deal with it when and if I do mess up again.

Your best bet if/when you go way over on sodium is to drink lots of water. That will help flush out the excess sodium. I'm almost always over on my sodium but find it's not really an issue unless I'm either A) WAY over (by 500+) or B) didn't drink extra water to help flush it out.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I thought I had read that somewhere on here but wasnt sure thank you for letting me know :)
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Ahaha! (Completely unrelated)

StacySkinny I want to learn your avatars dance routine LOL!
  • lfholland
    lfholland Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with sodium too. I usually try to eat a little over 2000 calories and I love salt, so it is the most challenging part of changing my eating habits.

I have heard that you can buy potassium chloride at the Health Food stores and use that as a substitute, but too much potassium is dangerous and it is hard to keep track of because it's not on nutrition labels.

Making my own food is really the only way that I am able to stay under my sodium limits. Avoiding canned and non-refrigerated foods helps. When you have to buy canned items always rinse them and buy low salt options. Rinsing can remove as much as 25% of sodium.

Although it might look bad on your daily report, just because you had too much salt in a 24 hour period isn't going to really affect your health. If you go over, drink lots of water, make sure you get enough potassium that day, and try to stay under for the next few. Also, don't weigh yourself the day after you go over if the scale effects your mood.
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    Ahaha! (Completely unrelated)

StacySkinny I want to learn your avatars dance routine LOL!

Hahah I know right? The girl can really MOVE! :D
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    I totally agree with lfholland. Also, really the only people who have to be REALLY careful about their sodium intake are people with heart problems and high blood pressure because excess sodium can thicken the blood and harden artery walls. Just be sure and drink a lot of extra water if you go over and try to bring your levels down a little bit more each day. finding lower sodium versions of foods can help a lot in that. Like I said, it's something I struggle with too (more because it effects my weight loss than anything else) but I am getting better. :) It does get easier, hun.
  • starheart24
    Options
    I know what you mean... I am normally fine on days that I don't eat out with my sodium but I do tend to go WAY over if I do eat out... I just try to drink a lot of water to flush it out