Question about Calorie Count

Options
kimd2090
kimd2090 Posts: 28 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi Everyone, I have a silly question. I am on a 1200 calorie diet, and when I enter my exercise it always raises my "calories remaining" for the day. I understand why it does that, but my question is...that doesn't mean that I need to eat those extra calories, right? I just need to stick with my 1200 even though I will be showing a "shortage" on my daily goal, right? It's just weird how it looks to me, and I want to be sure I am on the right track!! Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!

Replies

• notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal, assuming it was set by MFP and not yourself, already includes the defecit you need to lose weight so yes, you are meant to eat those exercise calories back. It is thought to be unhealthy to eat less than 1200 (for most, not all people) so if you exercise and don't eat the calories back, you will end up well below 1200 calories which can, in the long run, inhibit your progress.

The MFP assumes you will eat ALL of your exercise calories back but if you are not comfortable with this, you should at least eat some of them hon x
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I have a silly question. I am on a 1200 calorie diet, and when I enter my exercise it always raises my "calories remaining" for the day. I understand why it does that, but my question is...that doesn't mean that I need to eat those extra calories, right? I just need to stick with my 1200 even though I will be showing a "shortage" on my daily goal, right? It's just weird how it looks to me, and I want to be sure I am on the right track!! Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!

One thing to note is that MFP's calorie counts are particularly accurate and are often high. I think most people don't eat back all of them but maybe eat back half.

TDEE is another method to calculate your calories. Google a TDEE calculator and find out what your TDEE -20% is ... that number includes your exercise calories so you don't eat them back. Between the two methods, you should have a good idea where you should be.
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You are *supposed* to eat your exercise calories back, especially at only eating 1200 cals daily.

But then again, MFP has me eating 1400kcals daily, and then I try to burn 500 kcals in the gym. So trying to eat 1900 on top of a 8-5 schedule gets a little hectic. Some nights I just eat peanut butter from the jar...
  • djenkins0813
    Options
    I asked my doctor this particular question.... and she said no you do not have to eat back the calories..... As long as you are not feeling fatigued, and are getting plenty of water. I am on a strict 1200 calorie a day diet with or without exercise.... She told me the main reason the weight loss surgeries are so successful is because they limit calorie intake to the extreme for the first few months sometimes as low as 500 a day.... The one thing to always remember is that everyone's body and needs are different. I am a diabetic and the insulin I take can hamper weight loss... I have maintained my current weight for years but have seen very little in the way of weight loss.. Do you see your doctor and have them help you with monitoring your lifestyle change? I can tell you this has done wonders for me..... It took me about 3 weeks to see any weight decrease. I am now down 5.4 lbs this week.
  • robertgal74
    Options
    You need to eat the calories you earn, if not your body goes into starvation mode and will burn muscle for energy.

47160412.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • robertgal74
    Options
    ^^^^ when you net less than 1200 cals that is...
  • SpleenlessGal
    SpleenlessGal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a big deal not eating back your exercise calories as long as you actually ate at least 1200 calories. That's the important part (at least to me). That you ate enough calories for the day, and did not go below 1200.

I mean, every once in a while I have gone below 1200 because I was just not hungry that day, but it should not really be a habit.

As for eating back the calories after exercise... I mean, sometimes you're just not hungry for the extra calories. If you finished exercising and it made you HUNGRY, then by all means eat back as many of the exercise calories back as you want, you deserved it. But if you don't, I honestly don't think it's a big deal. Many people do not eat back their full exercise calories.
  • jcmrax5
    jcmrax5 Posts: 133
    Options
    it gives you the extra calories for a reason.
    1200 cals is already pretty low. if youre active you are going to net lower then that and be way too far under!
    EAT.
  • kimd2090
    kimd2090 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I know 1200 is low (I thought so too!), so it is nice to know that I will earn those back by exercising! I really appreciate the feedback. ~KD
This discussion has been closed.