does mfp work??

Options
how does mfp compare with other diets ??? hows everyone finding it ?? any tips?

Replies

• xkaylaxmichellex
    xkaylaxmichellex Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how you use it, who you add as friends, etc. Remember, if you go over on your goals (calories, sodium, carbs, etc) remember that tomorrow is a new day. Only add people that are going to motivate you, not bring you down. I added people that would praise me for only eating 300-400 calories a day. They're gone now. I was at a low point in life. Getting out of it now. Moral of the story: It all depends on you!
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    You can't look at is as a diet, but as a lifestyle. :) I really like MFP. Lots of great supportive friends
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It's a fantastic educational tool. It totally works if you do it correctly and stick with it.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's not a diet, but a way of counting your calories and keeping track of your deficit and macro/micro intake. And yes, it works. Read some of these posts here, they are all filled with excellent information:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It works if you do. :)
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    been here a year & always learning new things......
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    First as was pointed out before, MFP is not a diet. it is just basic math you eat less than you burn. MFP does the calculations for you and Yes it does work. My results are to show for it, there are many others that have lost way more than I have. You can do it also.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    MFP is a tool and if you use it correctly, yes it works.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Yeah its not a diet. If you are eating in a deficit its physically impossible for it not to work, MFP is just a handy way to track that. Don't undereat though, it will make things harder on you in the long run. A small-medium deficit depending on how much you need to lose is fine
  • auteurfille22
    auteurfille22 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    MFP works if you do.
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    MFP is not a diet. It is a set of tools to help you live a healthier lifestyle in a sustainable way. There are calorie trackers, various calculators and a whole community of like-minded people to help you along the way but if it's a diet you're looking for, you're in the wrong place hon x

I have done the diets, just about all of them but not one of them was sustainable and every time, I re-gained the weight plus more.

MFP has allowed me to totally change the way I deal with food....what I buy, what I eat, how I prepare food and how I eat out. It has made me realise I can have the figure I want without feeling constantly deprived or forever hungry. It has changed my life....but it isn't a diet!
  • shellsies93
    Options
    i don't look at this as a diet as well, i think it's a lifestyle change. I will be eating this way for the rest of my life. I love MFP because it helps you figure out what works for you so you can keep this going for the rest of your life. I also love the social aspect, i've met so many amazing, supportive people.
    Good luck to you!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be 40lb down in 16 weeks without MFP. No way.

It opens your eyes to how many calories are in everything.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet. It's part of a new, healthy lifestyle. Stick with that and log your food, stay under your calories and it WILL absolutely work. Just go to the Success Stories area and see for yourself.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have been successful with MFP. I tried another site, before MFP, that seemed to be quite popular, but, for me, didn't have as much to offer. Know this though... no tool will ever work well if not used properly.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When I first started I lost 25 pounds in 6 months. I learned a lot about proper nutrition and the importance of being physically active. Now that my last baby is here, I'm looking forward to losing 30 or so more pounds, lifting weights, etc. Logging my calories and exercise here helps keep me on track, and the repetition helps me to remember the approximate number of calories in foods so that I can make better educated guesses when I eat at restaurants or other people's homes.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Tip no.1

Realize you are the person in charge of setting your goals. MFP just helps you do the math. And realize that the math is what is generally true for a large population group sample, but it might not be true for you especially if you have medical conditions. So, you might find you need to lower your calories slightly or raise them a bit if you are losing more than projected and are hungry. No reason to be hungry if you are losing more than a pound or two a week right? Anyway, its really all you this just will help you keep track of what you are eating and if you have a good group of friends you will get that support group which is very helpful.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You should never even think about going on a diet for that is just a set up for failure. You should be asking if MFP will help you make the necessary lifestyle changes in food and exercise to achieve a realistic weight and establish a lifelong exercise program. Diets have a beginning, then you deny your self, then it ends and you go back to old eating habits and gain it all back plus some more. Then you go on a diet again. Really you are the one who has to do the work, not the plan.
  • elainemorris1982
    elainemorris1982 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You can't look at is as a diet, but as a lifestyle. :) I really like MFP. Lots of great supportive friends

agree with this. Its working for me. It thought me to make better food choices. I was shocked at the amount of calories in the food i used to eat
  • Yanagibashi
    Yanagibashi Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yes! But is isn't magic.

It works for me because it makes me accountable. I'm a chef. I like to eat. There's my problem. But with MFP, before I eat anything, I pause for a moment to think about if I really want to eat whatever is in front of me because I'm going to have to put it on my food diary. Sometimes I make a smarter choice. Sometimes, I really DO want to eat the naughty thing in front of me. And once I've put it on the food diary, I get to look at how much exercise I have to do to negate my (donut, potato chips, Snickers bar, ice cream, taco, etc) treat. Sometimes I really can't resist. But then the exercising off my little taste treat makes me think twice about it the next time.

Really, like most things, you get out of it what you put in. If you're diligent about your food log and realize that you have to throw in a little exercise now and then to keep losing weight, you should be fine.