What are the best work outs for toned, lean legs?

Options
What are the best work outs for toned, lean legs? I've heard running but wouldnt that require alot of muscle to go long distance? What about walking? I know those are simple work outs but what others are out there that are great for legs?

Replies

• lilyp91
    lilyp91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try a Couch to 5K running program and supplement with a program like Physique 57. I'm currently training for my second full marathon and swear by the Physique 57 series. It has toned me and given me strength (and speed!) I never thought possible!!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Lean legs come from diet restriction and low body fat %. Leg muscles come from strength training and explosive power sports like sprinting, sprint cycling, jumping etc. Running is okay if you're doing hills and sprints and stuff, otherwise it just trains the muscle for endurance. To get the lean look over good muscles i.e. "toned" you have to have muscles there and low enough body fat % to see them.

So... my recommendation is barbell squats.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Running will help with definition but if you have fat on your legs you want to get your diet on point. That is the only thing that will get rid of fat.

Squats also will add some muscles if you're eating a surplus of calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Lean legs come from diet restriction and low body fat %. Leg muscles come from strength training and explosive power sports like sprinting, sprint cycling, jumping etc. Running is okay if you're doing hills and sprints and stuff, otherwise it just trains the muscle for endurance. To get the lean look over good muscles i.e. "toned" you have to have muscles there and low enough body fat % to see them.

I like this advice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I also vote for Barbell squats.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I also vote for Barbell squats.

me too!

this is what squats did for my legs :D

8681874680_3997f92053.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

9400948410_6ded812860.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, and hill sprints to maintain the muscle you have, and a moderate calorie deficit to get rid of the fat. Oh, that and patience as it will take time.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Yeah!

Plus they have an added benefit of working out your seldom used grunting muscle.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts, with HEAVY weights.

And there's no such thing as "toned". I'm assuming you mean muscle with little to no fat over it? Barbell squats will get you there.