BROWN RICE RECIPES

Options
nursesarah79
nursesarah79 Posts: 42 Member
ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD BROWN RICE RECIPES. I HAVE TRIED BROWN RICE AND REALLY DON'T LIKE IT PLAIN. BUT WAS INTERESTED TO SEE IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO COOK IT. I HAVE SEVERAL BOXES AND DON'T WANT TO SEE IT GO TO WASTE AND I KNOW IT IS BETTER FOR ME THAN WHITE RICE.

THANKS!

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what kind of nutrition you are looking for. I usually add a tablespoon of salted butter, an ounce of cheese, mix it all up and nosh.

Of course you could always just go with plain delicious soy sauce <3
  • Monda
    Monda Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I had brown rice tonight. I didn't use to like it either. I like to eat mine with a little homemade salsa on the side. The combiniation is really good. :)
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • BMW6Series
    Options
    I had Brown Rice tonight, had a it with a couple of packages of Indian food from Tastybite. The whole family loved it.

www.tastybite.com
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I prefer white rice too, but have found a simple way to spice up brown rice so that it is more palatable! I add chopped onions, olive oil, and some adobo seasoning. Toss it all together with the rice first and then add the water. If I have any fresh herbs on hand I'll chop those up and throw them in too. I used to love those packets of Goya Sazon with my rice, until I realized that they were loaded with MSG :(.

Plain brown rice makes a great fried rice too, with veggies and either cooked leftover meat or tofu.
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    i eat mine with onions peppers mushrooms and a touch of soy sauce
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Monda has a great point, salsa makes a LOT of things tasty (and works well as a veggie dip!)

If you are after the one stop kind of meal, grab some veggies, and stir fry them, toss them together with the cooked rice and go from there.

In more simplistic fashion, black pepper, garlic powder and some mixed herbs can reduce the 'blah' factor. (Also I tend to throw a wee bit of oil in while cooking the rice).

Also, though I just found this (and thus have not tried it myself) it sounds really quite tasty! (And helpfully they post the nutritional information for it as well!)

http://healthy.food.com/recipe/zesty-veggie-paella-307263

Good luck escaping the brown rice blah's!

^_^
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I like to make mine with fat-free low sodium chicken stock instead of water. Tastes great! I also like to add diced tomatoes, garlic, onion, and spices if I'm eating it plain. I like the slightly nuttly flavor and crunchier texture, but it does take some getting used to.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Season the heck out of that olive oil before you add the water or broth. (I use vegetable broth). Cilantro, diced onion, capers, olives, and tomato paste (two big spoonfuls). That rice will be incredible. Get everything simmered, add your water, bring to a boil, and THEN add the rice.

Sometimes I shred three or four carrots and add it to the rice at the twenty-minute mark (when you turn the rice). You can do peas, too, if you like.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Cook one cup of brown rice according to the box directions then take two boneless skinless chicken breasts, a can of healthy select cream of mushroom soup, and 1/2 c. of fat free plain yogurt. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees, spray a square casserole pan with pam, pour cooked rice first, lay chicken on top, sprinkle with garlic salt, mix soup and yogurt together and pour over chicken and rice. bake for 1 hour. Enjoy!
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    I like it cooked with a package of dry onion soup mix. The sodium is a bit on the high side, but it is yummy!
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    my mom makes homemade pesto (no dairy just straight up garlic, basil and olive oil) I mix that in with my cooked rice and it is really good!
  • DonnaMaas
    Options
    Bird's Eye has a steamable brown rice that is delicious. It only makes about 2 cups of rice so you don't have alot leftover. Its with the other bird's eye frozen steamable bagged vegetables.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Yep, chicken stock, salsa, soy sauce all good ideas! Also, you can toss in orange zest and ginger or roasted garlic, (or un-roasted). I like using chicken stock to cook the rice in and seasoning the stock with one tablespoon of soy sauce and one tablespoon of dry sherry. You can even toast it first!

Oh, that pesto idea is good! Might have to do that soon! We're a little nuts for pesto around here!
  • Mesmereyes
    Mesmereyes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nursesarah79
    nursesarah79 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE! A LOT OF GREAT IDEAS! I KNOW I READ SOY SAUCE A LOT. REALLY LIKE THE CHICKEN CASSEROLE IDEA TOO! GONNA HAVE TO TRY THAT FOR SURE!
    I AM A SOUTHERN GIRL AND REALLY ONLY KNOW HOW TO COOK THE WAY MY GRANDMA TAUGHT ME (STICK OF BUTTER AND A PINCH OF SUGAR IN EVERYTHING). LOL
    SO COOKING HEALTHY AND LOW FAT IS SOMETHING I AM LEARNING HOW TO DO.
    DON'T THINK I EVEN KNEW THERE WAS A THING CALLED BROWN RICE UNTIL I WAS AN ADULT.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    Cook one cup of brown rice according to the box directions then take two boneless skinless chicken breasts, a can of healthy select cream of mushroom soup, and 1/2 c. of fat free plain yogurt. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees, spray a square casserole pan with pam, pour cooked rice first, lay chicken on top, sprinkle with garlic salt, mix soup and yogurt together and pour over chicken and rice. bake for 1 hour. Enjoy!

This casserole sounds great. Do you cook the chicken before you put it in the oven?
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • My600PdLife
    My600PdLife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump