MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    beating-a-dead-horse.gif

:noway:
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Why does this make me think of the guy from Office Space punching the busted copier? LOL!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    That's a pet peeve of mine as well. I also cringe every time someone writes "your" when they mean "you're." In order to maintain my sanity, I just think about this blog post every time I come across bad grammar in a forum: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

There are so many ways to "get" someone messing up in English. Even in your above post, I'm *pretty* sure you made an error. (There are so many rules and exceptions, I'm not positive.) You wrote someone and then referred to someone with "they." Someone is singular while they is plural. (Feel free to fix my errors. I don't mind.)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    I've only been in the Country for a very short distance.:happy:
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! I thought I was the only one who noticed that. It was driving me nuts!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    We all just need to take a deep breathe* and calm down!

*I know what I did.:laugh:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate it. Should I ignore it? Yes. Do I? No. I think my blood pressure rises a bit every time I read someone using loose instead of lose. This thread should be required reading for every new member.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Why does this make me think of the guy from Office Space punching the busted copier? LOL!

Because that's what it's from. The horse was added in and the image was filtered to make it look animated.
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Glucaagon and leptin will help loose fat, so it is easier to burn and thereby lose the fat. Does that clear up why people might be using both words?

Sometimes it is easiest to take language at face value. Other times it is most entertaining to take language at face value. It is rarely helpful, however, to try to take language on a long drive in hopes of improving its constitution.
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much given up hoping that the majority of people on this site will use proper English.

have you considered some people may not actually master proper english because it is not their first language. JUST LIKE ME.
    And FYI i did not know either before i saw another post stating the same topic...

We are here for support not for telling us that we don't know how to write.

BTW i did mot mean it in a bad way and critizing you.
    I was just trying to fiind an explanation.
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That's a pet peeve of mine as well. I also cringe every time someone writes "your" when they mean "you're." In order to maintain my sanity, I just think about this blog post every time I come across bad grammar in a forum: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

There are so many ways to "get" someone messing up in English. Even in your above post, I'm *pretty* sure you made an error. (There are so many rules and exceptions, I'm not positive.) You wrote someone and then referred to someone with "they." Someone is singular while they is plural. (Feel free to fix my errors. I don't mind.)

Using "they" in the singular sense has become a pretty commonly accepted way to refer to an individual when the gender is unknown. Although, yes, saying "he or she" would have been more correct. The point I was trying to make by linking to that blog was that people shouldn't let grammatical errors in internet forums bother them so much, and it's a waste of time trying to correct people (not to mention almost as annoying as the mistakes themselves). A poster could very well be an eagle typing with just his talons right now. No one knows.

I hope this helps alot :)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Using "they" in the singular sense has become a pretty commonly accepted way to refer to an individual when the gender is unknown. Although, yes, saying "he or she" would have been more correct. The point I was trying to make by linking to that blog was that people shouldn't let grammatical errors in internet forums bother them so much, and it's a waste of time trying to correct people (not to mention almost as annoying as the mistakes themselves). A poster could very well be an eagle typing with just his talons right now. No one knows.

I hope this helps alot :)

Heh yes I know it's become commonly accepted. It's funny to me that a language error can just be given up on since it's made so often (and it is annoying to write he or she). I usually just pluralize the first word because my nitpicky teachers never let it go growing up. I also always sucked at using active voice instead of passive. I still prefer the sound of passive voice in many situations.
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Heh yes I know it's become commonly accepted. It's funny to me that a language error can just be given up on since it's made so often (and it is annoying to write he or she). I usually just pluralize the first word because my nitpicky teachers never let it go growing up. I also always sucked at using active voice instead of passive. I still prefer the sound of passive voice in many situations.

Totally agree. Sometimes passive voice just sounds better!
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Me fail enlish? That's unpossible

Nothing is unpossible :drinker:
  • newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Glucaagon and leptin will help loose fat, so it is easier to burn and thereby lose the fat. Does that clear up why people might be using both words?

Sometimes it is easiest to take language at face value. Other times it is most entertaining to take language at face value. It is rarely helpful, however, to try to take language on a long drive in hopes of improving its constitution.

Sure, the operations of glucagon and leptin most definitely the source of the confusion.

I know "loose" is a verb, but never in the context of loosing weight. Loose the reins, sure. Wouldn't the average person use "loosen" in your scenario. anyway?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    The one that makes me unhinged is "there" instead of "they're" or "their". I have been known to shriek obscene things at perfectly unsuspecting Facebook and MFP users, describing their ancestry and personal hygiene. Then I go gibber in a corner for a bit, and feel better.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The one that makes me unhinged is "there" instead of "they're" or "their".

Come on. If you're going to complain about that, at least get it right!

It's "they're" instead of "their" or "there".

:)