Looking for a treadmill under $300. Recommendations?

Options
I'd like to start off by saying that I'm not looking to be told to not buy a treadmill. It's going to start getting cold out soon, and I have breathing problems as it is which isn't helped by the cold air. The closest gym to me is in my high school (30 mins away) and filled with teenagers looking for a place to hang out.

In the spring semester I'm going to be having a Phys Ed class every single day, and as of right now I can't run a quarter mile without mild pain and a pressure headache. I want to use the next few months to get in at least slightly better shape before that happens and I have to be embarrassed for another year :frown:

I want something with a weight limit of at least 250 lbs, something that can be run on, and something either found in a chain store in Pennsylvania or something than can be bought online. What treadmills do you have? What do you want to get? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Wish you lived closer... I wanted to sell mine... and was asking $250. If you wanna drive to Atlanta...lol
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Check out some local gyms. I bought a really heavy duty used treadmill for $100, I use it occasionally, only when I cannot make it to the gym, my son and wife use it all the time. So it was a pretty good deal! Gym owners are constantly turning over cardio equipment. It is not new but basically it is just as awesome as a $2000 treadmill. If it breaks, it allready paid for itself.
  • Hmmm... how much to ship a treadmill? haha
  • Bump (I'm so sorry, I hate when people do this, yet here I am)
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I went through two cheap, low quality treadmills pretty quickly. My understanding is all treadmills under $1000 are made by the same manufacturer, regardless of the label and none are intended to last. I bought a Landice treadmill in 2003 for $2200 and it's been great. I think your best bet is to look for a second hand quality treadmill. A study deck and smooth, even motion of the walking belt are really important, especially if you plan to run on it.
  • I'm an 18 yo still in high school working part time at minimum wage and have to pay all my college app fees myself. I really can't afford anything more than $300. If it only lasts me for this school year, or through the winter, even. Thats fine with me. :)
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Take the 300 and join a gym, then you have access to equipment that costs many thousands of dollars, and you will have more fun as well.

a story- at the same gym I bought the treadmill I was using an elliptical I loved, new it was over 5,000. The owner offered to sell it for 1800. my gym membership was about 10 per month.... no sale... I used it everyday anyway!!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Craigslist? Maybe try it out at the location you intend to buy from. Find a bud with a pick up truck or hire a moving company to help you move it. You'll have to do the research on what makes a good treadmill brand yourself. I imagine people are constantly selling equipment they don't use, so. You may even get some interest if you require that the seller delivers, but then they'll know where you live...