Can someone tell me how many calories I should be eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I responded to the OP earlier, but the person I was responding to in the post you quoted was male.

Oops. Sorry.

No big-gets confusing with more than one person posting stats in a thread.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    My girlfriend is having an even harder time eating here intake due to exercise...she right now is like 900 under...http://www.myfitnesspal.com/lonilee please help us:( - she is 22, 5'2, 165lb with light activity.

1600 as in base 1200 - exercise + exercise difference. So If exercise was 400, that's 400 additional i'd eat.

I mean actual food to fill that quota...I don't eat junk food anymore since I get addicted when I do.

I don't think 1600 calories will hurt you, it just doesn't seem optimal to me. I too do better eliminating certain foods, but you may want to look into incorporating some more higher calorie food items if you are struggling to get enough to eat. Your appetite may be off from the changes, but my bet is that it will normalize if you allow it to. (I don't eat gluten and I'm vegan, and I can easily put away 2000 calories without having junk food in.) Remember that veggies absorb better with some fat.
  • thomasandrews
    Options
    Could you recommend some foods to eat? It's hard to eat healthy and get the caleries. Like I said, my girlfriend is having a huge issue with that right now haha. We're having to search for some food and get ready to goto sleep, we hate eating before bed.

ANY tips would be awesome! What should we NOT be afraid of (sugar, fat, etc). Things we are avoiding now: sodium and sugar mainly.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter before bed when I'm under, or a PBJ if I'm WAY under goal. Other calorie dense foods I like are cashews, almonds, and an apple with peanut butter.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    You don't need to be afraid of any foods. Of course, you have to manage your own trigger foods by what will work best for you. I'm not sure what your trigger foods are, so just discard anything that doesn't fit.

Did your doctor tell you to avoid sodium? There is no reason to be afraid of it unless you have particular medical needs. Of course, eat it in moderation, as with everything, but your body actually needs some sodium. I would say the same for sugar-unless you have particular medical needs, you don't really need to avoid it. I personally do my best when I do avoid added sugar, but there are times it's just not a priority. Don't worry about trying to meet MFP's sugar limit-if you have fruit, you'll go over.

An easy high calorie smoothie:

Peanut Butter (200) + banana (100) + milk of choice (100) + strawberries (50) = 450. If you are willing to get adventurous, add some chia seeds (70-150), protein powder (120ish), and spinach or kale (minimal calories). That could add an easy 200 calories, using a small serving of chia.

Keep in mind that my recommendations will be based off of my own lifestyle, so I'm sure I'm missing some easy ones that other people could contribute.

Hummus with veggies or pita chips. 2 TBSP of hummus has 70-80 calories if you don't get low fat. Hummus also works great in sandwiches or as a salad topper. You could also substitute guacamole for the hummus.

Nuts and seeds, high calorie fruits for snacks (dates, bananas), don't fear the potatoes (sweet or otherwise).

Rice and pasta.

Cereal-to me, it isn't filling at all, which makes it a treat food for me. Add milk or cream to your coffee.

Don't buy the diet or low fat version of foods unless you have specific medical conditions that require you to.

Good luck! I think you two will be successful. It's obvious you care, and you are doing this together.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    ^^ Agree! Thanks, Flax!
  • fastfoodv
    Options
    In general, I typically tell women that are your height to aim for 1200 calories. You could likely consume 1300 to maintain your weight.

Get an exclusive look at Lisa's new book STOP THE DIET, I WANT TO GET OFF! at www.stopthediet.com and visit Lisa Tillinger Johansen at www.consultthedietitian.com on Facebook at Lisa Tillinger Johansen and on Twitter @LisaTJohansen