Healthy lunch ideas to take to the office

Options
I work in an office and get 30 minutes for lunch. I'm looking for creative or even not so creative new ideas of what to take for lunch.
I work near a lot of food places and when lunch time comes and I have a boring, unappealing lunch, I tend to talk myself out of what I brought and get something higher in fat and calories not to mention expensive. I guess I'm just tired of the same old thing like soup, Lean Cusines and left overs. Any ideas or do I just have to suck it up and just eat what I brought? :tongue:

Replies

• tarsha426
    tarsha426 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try spinach salad with strawberries, cheese your favorite dressing; try wraps with turkey, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, dressing; try a vegetable medley (any type you like); try tuna wraps. All low fat of course. Try different things you like in all combination and see what works for you. You may also think about have a meal replacement shake. :smile: Hope this helps!!
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bring a tub of protein powder, a shaker and strong willpower.
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    how about a bento box... or something that looks like it!

Check the guidelines http://www.laptoplunches.com/myplate.php
    Inspirational Lunch Photos http://www.laptoplunches.com/photo-gallery.php

you do not need to have the bento box. Use any container that has partition in it. Or a few small container. (Sorry for the dishes that will need to be washed!)

So basically you follow guidelines and you bring a small portion of different food items. Fruits, grains,proteins, veggie.
    Sort of a small buffet.

sometimes when i am really bored (tired or no time in the evening) to prepared the next day lunch, i just put things i have in the fridge and put it together as a meal.

just some new ideas...
  • marieboyles
    Options
    I love making wraps, with chicken or turkey and any fresh veggies I have on hand. If I don't have chicken or turkey I will use hummus and sometimes feta cheese and veggies.
  • Islandgirl74
    Islandgirl74 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Try whole wheat pita pockets stuffed with chicken breast, canned tuna/chicken or turkey. Have a side of fruit with it. One of my favorites is avacado mixed with canned tuna/chicken, chopped cucumber, stuffed into a pita with big slices of tomato. If you don't like avacado, try greek yogurt. Delish! Hope this helps!
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My favorites are yogurt and fruit, salad with grilled chicken breast and berries, hummus with rice cakes, homemade quinoa salad with lots of veggies. That's 4 suggestions. The thing that keeps me from going out to eat is the fact that I can't easily weigh portions when eating out or find the exact thing to log into MFP ... I log in EVEYTHING I eat, right after I eat it. That helps me stay on track. It also helps knowing I prepared the food myself so I enjoy knowing it will be healthy and fresh ... and enjoy the feeling of successfully working toward my goals after I have made good choices. Good luck!!
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I mason jar salads a few days a week. I can make them on Sunday night and grab one on the mornings I know I won't get out for lunch. As long as you layer them properly, nothings gets soggy.
    masonjarsalads.jpg
    (not my picture, just an example).
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I mason jar salads a few days a week. I can make them on Sunday night and grab one on the mornings I know I won't get out for lunch. As long as you layer them properly, nothings gets soggy.

Thanks for the reminder!! I keep wanting to try this. I read the key to avoid soggy salad is salad dressing on the bottom and lettuce on the top - toppings in between.
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I take leftovers for lunch every day. I love to cook, and I find it much easier to make enough food for four servings so my husband and I can have leftovers for lunch. I don't have to think about what to take that day, and if dinner was especially awesome, I usually look forward to it.
  • Vikkiiza
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyones ideas! I know lunch shouldnt be complicated but sometimes you just forget about things you
    want to try and end up just going with the same old things. I am inspired now to try to be a little more creative and probably need to plan better too. :wink:
  • Vikkiiza
    Options
    Thanks! Think I might try thr salad in a jar tomorrow.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a ground turkey mixer I make. It makes 4 lunches.

1 lb ground turkey
    garlic powder
    cajun seasoning to taste (drink water to offset the sodium)
    1 onion chopped
    1 bell pepper chopped

Throw it all in a frying pan and cook through.
    I take 1/4 of this to work for lunches. SO good. Healthy and filling. Low carb and lot's of protein :)