Question about calorie intake

Options
I've been reading up online about calorie deficits, and it's a little confusing to me; for some 1200 cals a day works as a deficit to lose weight and some people advocate for a smaller deficit, and I do understand that it really does depend on the individual. I guess my question is, how do you know what applies to YOU? I've been on 1200 cals for a while now, and I do a JM workout 6 days a week. I'm to the point where I just want/need to "tone" (5'4" 115#), so I use heavier weights during the workouts. 30DS worked well for me, so I moved on to RI30.
I read a post on here where someone mentioned that those closer to their goal weight should be at 10%-TDEE, which for me would be ~1800 according to a calculator on fitwatch.com. (This is with a moderately active lifestyle as I am on my feet all day at work and I work out 6 days a week.) Maintenance on this site was calculated at 2000.
My main concern is doing what's best for me; I don't want to eat too little, and I don't want to eat too much, and I definitely don't want to lose the muscle I've gained. Thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• _Z3sty_
    _Z3sty_ Posts: 120
    Options
    I suggest you start at 1800 (Maintenance - 10%) and keep an eye on your weight for the next three weeks and adjust accordingly so you start to lose weight at 1 pound a week. This will ensure that you preserve as much muscle mass as you can whilst losing fat at a healthy rate and to prevent loose skin.
  • redd_87
    redd_87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I've limited my access to my scale due to the fact that I was scale obsessed, so I weigh myself about once a month now and judge my progress based on measurements and weight at the end of a set of 30 days, and also on how my clothes are fitting in between. I've been on 1200 calories for too long to remember, so 1800 might be a little bit drastic of a change for me to do, both mentally and physically; would it be ok if I started at 1500 and eased myself up to 1800?
  • _Z3sty_
    _Z3sty_ Posts: 120
    Options
    That would be perfectly fine :smile:
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    You can ease yourself up to the 1800 calories like you mentioned. Your body will ramp up and burn those additional calories and be better able to maintain the muscle you have. You'll also notice better mental clarity and more energy almost right away.

As a sidenote, it's unlikely that you gained muscle while eating at a 600 calorie deficit. I don't doubt that the muscles you have became much stronger, but you don't actually gain muscle tissue while eating at a deficit like that. But muscle building is a different topic. And there are a thousand threads on that if you decide it's something that interests you. :flowerforyou:
  • redd_87
    Options
    Thanks! I apologize if I might sound a little bit ignorant, but I'm new to the whole muscle building vs. muscle strength vs weight loss vs fat loss etc., but I'm working on understanding the differences more.
    I agree that I have made my muscles stronger, and not so much muscle gain, I at least understand that much, but is the idea that you start to see muscle definition through a calorie deficit because you lost the fat that's hiding the muscles? Also, I guess then I do still want to lose some fat, maybe not build more muscle per se, but that can be achieved through the idea of an 1800 cal eating plan? And to add some "definition" to your muscles, is that through muscle building or increasing your strength through the muscles you already have? This part still confuses me.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Oops! I just saw your response. Please don't feel silly or ignorant. That wasn't my intention! You are correct in thinking you see more muscle because lowering your body fat uncovers your beautiful muscles.

You correct. Eating at 1800 calories will better equip your body to retain more of it's current muscle mass (assuming you continue lifting). Additionally, it will give you more energy to work those muscles, better mental clarity and more restful sleep. Seriously, be prepared to feel amazing! I couldn't believe how much better I felt when I started eating at a smaller deficit.

It sounds like you're on the right track. There's an overwhelming amount of information out there. I'm still wading through it too. :ohwell:

Anyway, congrats on your success so far! You look great! :smile:
  • redd_87
    Options
    Thank you so much! You've been a lot of help :)
  • LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am petrified to change my calorie goal.....I keep reading that I am not eating enough but it's set at 1300 which I thought was good.
  • redd_87
    Options
    I am ALWAYS terrified when it comes to making adjustments to my diet or exercise, but I'm trying to learn all of the ins and outs of what it means to be healthy rather than to just "weigh less" so I'm taking some chances. Reasonable, researched chances. At this point I feel confident that if I change something and for whatever reason it doesn't work well, I can always change it back. So far I haven't had to though :)
    I've heard numerous different things as to what an appropriate calorie deficit should be, and I've done multiple online calculators, which most of them automatically put me at 1200. If 1300 works for you, maybe stick with it until you're ready to take that chance :)
    (granted, I do not know what your fitness goals are or anything, nor am I really qualified to be giving nutritional advice, so that's just my friendly input!)