Should I treat myself a little everyday?

Options
Lately I've been pretty restrictive with my diet, eating just mainly vegetables and fruits and one serving of dairy for breakfast. I've been craving some foods daily (not desserts, just foods that aren't really all that great for me like noodles, frozen yogurt, chocolate, etc).

For the past few days since Saturday, ive been eating unhealthy food here and there like half a cup of chocolate milkshake and a slice of pizza on Saturday, a slice of pizza again on Sunday with a few bites of tiramisu and 1tbsp of chocolate covered raisins and today, Monday, I had 120g of frozen yogurt. I feel really guilty, because I'm not supposed to be eating so much junk.

However, apart from the junky foods I've eaten, ive been having salads, broths and fruit for lunch and dinner with Greek yogurt for breakfast.

Should I allow myself a small treat daily or will that hamper my progress?

Replies

• gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Allow the treat. Do you eat no protein?
  • dvizma
    dvizma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well In my case I take small treat every time lose a pound.Gives me something to look forward to
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with frozen yoghurt? I eat enough of that per day that I'm good for protein.

BTW freeze the greek yoghurt & you HAVE your frozen yoghurt. Chobani 2% is best for that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been pretty restrictive with my diet, eating just mainly vegetables and fruits and one serving of dairy for breakfast. I've been craving some foods daily (not desserts, just foods that aren't really all that great for me like noodles, frozen yogurt, chocolate, etc).

For the past few days since Saturday, ive been eating unhealthy food here and there like half a cup of chocolate milkshake and a slice of pizza on Saturday, a slice of pizza again on Sunday with a few bites of tiramisu and 1tbsp of chocolate covered raisins and today, Monday, I had 120g of frozen yogurt. I feel really guilty, because I'm not supposed to be eating so much junk.

However, apart from the junky foods I've eaten, ive been having salads, broths and fruit for lunch and dinner with Greek yogurt for breakfast.

Should I allow myself a small treat daily or will that hamper my progress?

IIFYM eat it!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    the daily treat isn't going to make or break your diet. eating very little food and almost no protein will.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation is fine IMO, I have a little high quality dark chocolate everyday :)
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I stay away from treats as much as i can as i find i binge on it, but hey if you can get away with it why not. Only you can see if know if its effecting you goals.
  • Xtinesky
    Xtinesky Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think it's better to have a treat now and then, as long as you can fit it into your calories. If you are too restrictive with your diet, you are more likely to go on a binge. Besides, the way you eat now should be something that is sustainable. It's not a quick fix diet but a whole way of eating.
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    If any foods are 100% off limits, they become 'forbidden fruit' and you crave them so much more. I am a total sweet tooth and love my chocolate so, instead of buying a large block of regular chocolate I buy a smaller block of good quality dark chocolate and allow myself a couple of squares any day I exercise. That way I don't tend to fixate on it because I know I can 'earn' my treat any day I want to.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    If you restrict it will ultimately lead to binging and the end of your diet.

This should be a sustainable lifestyle change. If it fits in your daily allowance eat anything you want!

You want extra pizza or some chocolate? Go work for it to earn extra calories! :)
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I think it's better to use moderation instead of complete restriction of certain foods, but I also think it's a bad idea to conceptualize food as a reward.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I dont treat myself. I totally agree with a pp that you shouldnt use food as a reward. It belies a very unhealthy relationship with food, much like your very restrictive diet.

I've lost 9kg (20 lbs) and I've done so eating and drinking what I please, within moderation.
  • Sarahwantshealth
    Sarahwantshealth Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with some post that suggest using a food treat as a reward. If you can enjoy a small amount t during the day and stay in your calorie goal go for it! I on the other hand have found those small treats keep adding up and turn into full blown binges!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I suggest not grouping foods into categories of good or bad and learn to eat in moderation. Overall this approach will prove to be one that is sustainable for the long run. As long as you are eating in a calorie deficit regardless to what foods you are eating you will lose weight and on that note as long as you are hitting your macro and micro nutrient needs as well than there are no bad points for enjoying the things you like daily.... Get a food scale if you all ready do not have one and measure your portions, I have practice this approach from the beginning and I do not think it has hampered my weight loss.... Best of Luck
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Who says you can't have frozen yogurt or chocolate???????? They are good. A lot of people have the idea that you are NO LONGER a loud to eat--they would be wrong. Skinny people eat, they just don't eat great amounts of food. You need to rethink this--my trainer told me people FAIL at diets and I have failed at a lot of them---BUT---this is a" lifestyle change" for the rest of our life. Look at it that way and you won't fail anymore. Modify your foods to fit who and what you do. Never deny yourself anything, just don't binge on it. Have faith--you will do it, I have and I am not failing anymore. THIS IS THE REST OF OUR LIFE.................
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    staying away from things you love to eat is like contemplating suicide........one day you will do it and go completely overboard.

Eat what you love in portions NOW when you can........binging is killing your self.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    The treats will only hamper your progress if they take you massively over your daily calories every day - but then, they wouldn't be treats if you were eating that much.

I have a biscuit or chocolate bar most days but I budget for it in my daily calorie allowance - and on days where I earn a lot of calories back, I usually end up treating myself too.

You have to be able to maintain your new way of eating, so you'll find it easier if you allow yourself treats and teach yourself moderation and restraint.
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel guilty, especially if it fits into your cal goals for the day. I eat chocolate almost everyday but I limit myself to a serving size.
  • ccb1128
    Options
    Fruit. It's nature's candy.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm going to disagree with most of the advice here but only becuase this is what I found works for me. It very well might not work for you so please do what you will. For me a little treat everyday hampers my progress or adds weight even when I am under my calorie goals. That's because I'm very sensitive to sugar. If I have a little sugar everyday it pretty much stops my weight loss or has me start gaining.

However what I've found that if I do a "cheat" day when I am really craving this stops the cravings and makes it easy for me to return to healty eating. I only do this when I find myself craving for several days. Usually it's once every 3 to 4 weeks.

This is what has worked for me but totally get it if it's not for everyone.

Good Luck!