Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

5 hour energy drinks

What's in them (those little shot sized bottles, claim there is no sugar and only 4 calories). Are they bad for you?

I just started back at the gym this morning, and like last winter, I am dragging today and stuggling to stay awake. I didn't even do a very tough work out, just walking for 30 minutes and then half of the 30 minutes circuit training (there are some machines I still can't do because of my back), and I am sooooo tired.

I know I won't get used to it either, I worked out in the AM faithfully for 6-8 weeks last winter and I was always dead tired on my gym days, all day at work. I'd like to try the drink, but I'm leery, is it bad for you?

Replies

• I use them a couple times a month.. They work from me on those days I feel exhausted. I have not been able to get reliable "health" information on them so I have gone the moderation approach for now.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Im interested in this too. I drink coffee everyday but it's starting to not do the trick. Im trying to keep my eyes open right now as we speak lol
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    I use them quite a bit. And my husband... he drinks them daily.

Are they bad for you? Who knows... :laugh:

... At least you're not alone!!
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Supposedly this is what's in them.....straight from the horse mouth:

http://www.5hourenergy.com/ingredients.asp
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    I use them everyday and they dont affect me in the bad way. It also does not hold me back with my weight loss. If gives me that little extra that I need to get going. I have used the extra strength as well. Try it and see how it works for you. Make sure your eating a good healthy breakfest before you go that with a combo of complex carbs and protiens. That will help with energy and give you more at the gym
  • Try SpeedStack drinks. You can get them at most vitamin stores. They are really good before a workout, too. My PT told me about them. They come in grape and fruit punch flavors, and don't seem to leave you feeling "jittery."
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    They are a stimulant caffiene drink. People with heart conditions or who are adversely affected by caffeine should avoid. I get heart palpitations!!!! I don't see how they can be good for you but they seem to work for some.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Try SpeedStack drinks. You can get them at most vitamin stores. They are really good before a workout, too. My PT told me about them. They come in grape and fruit punch flavors, and don't seem to leave you feeling "jittery."

SPEED STACKS ARE GREET TOO. I CANT GET THEM AS EASY :-) I LOVE THOSE TOO
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    I use them everyday and they dont affect me in the bad way. It also does not hold me back with my weight loss. If gives me that little extra that I need to get going. I have used the extra strength as well. Try it and see how it works for you. Make sure your eating a good healthy breakfest before you go that with a combo of complex carbs and protiens. That will help with energy and give you more at the gym

I wish I could eat before the gym, but if I eat anything more than a granola bar, I get cramps. I do eat as soon as I get to work though.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Thanks everyone, I'll give them a try. If everyone avoided them I probably would too, but it sounds like most like them, so I'll jump off the cliff too, lol. :smile:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    I'm curious to hear what couldbe wrong about these drinks.
  • ismatts
    ismatts Posts: 62
    I do not trust them, but what do I know.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    My office manager at work actually just bought one for me today. Was going to try it out before my workout tonight. It has (for two ounces) 150% DV Niacin, 2,000% DV of B6, 100% Folic Acid and 8,333% DV of B12! But really, there isn't that much caffeine in it. Only enough equal to a cup of coffee (so it says on the bottle).
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    I use them every so often nowadays, mostly if I didn't get a good night sleep and I need a quick wake me up for my commute. They consist of lots of B vitamins. I don't feel a crash with these like you would feel with 'energy' pills. I was using the 5 hr energy's quite often when I first tried them out I noticed they started becoming less and less effective the more I drank them and at $3 each if they aren't really working anymore than why waste the money, so now just when I am extra sleepy so I can make that long ride to work (or from work).
  • I get them from Costco for about $1.80 each.
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    They are pretty good actually
  • Audi68
    Audi68 Posts: 113 Member
    I tried them awhile back and it didn't do anything for me. Although, I can drink a cup of coffee and lay down and take a nap, so it may just be me.
  • I think vitamins would be better. There are drinks out there that have vitamins and that will also help you lose weight. If you're interested I can give you some names of things to try.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    I hope they are not TO bad. We buy these by the case at Sam's. In fact we just bought 2 cases over the weekend lol. They sure help pep me up and give me the burst of energy to go running when I otherwise would not feel like it. (But thats just me)