Trouble with serving sizes for pasta

Options
I think I've figured this out after Googling, but I'm not sure so I'm hoping someone can help me.

For pasta, is the listed serving size the COOKED weight? So if it says 56 grams, is that 56 grams after cooking? Or 56 grams dry?

Replies

• sharonuk10
    Options
    I weigh mine dry... package says a serving size is 75 grams. After cooking it is about 170 grams I think.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I always take the serving sizes for pasta as dry unless otherwise stated.
  • cnash81
    cnash81 Posts: 30
    Options
    It would be nice if the package were specific, huh? I had this same trouble figuring out if a 1/2 cup serving of oatmeal meant dry or cooked. Just like you I googled it, went to quaker oats website, etc. It can be exhaustive getting accurate info. As far as pasta, I am not absolutely certain, but I do believe that the serving size of pasta listed on the box is for uncooked. Turns out, with my oatmeal, 1/2 cup meant uncooked. The box of brown rice in my cupboard gives a serving size in terms of uncooked. So, I've noticed a trend of serving sizes being in terms of the uncooked product.

1831192.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've always measured it out with my hand. One handful of dry pasta is one serving. It doesn't look like much, but after its cooked it will double in size. That's always a safe way to go. If you have a food scale at home, measure the weight of a handful dry - it should roughly be the same as what the serving size is on the package.
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you! See, even after all my Googling, I had it wrong. I thought the listed serving size was cooked and boy was I disappointed to see how much 56g of cooked pasta is (or isn't LOL)!