10km Running Progress:From 82mins to a 47min PB.

Options
jeets888
jeets888 Posts: 2,237 Member
So, yesterday (15.09.13) i had my best run since i started running (wouldnt neccessarily consider myself an ardent runner but rather someone looking to be fit/cross fit) a year and a half odd ago.

Ok so here goes my running and fitness story - If you make it to the end, well done. Just feel so inspired after this weekend, thought I'd journal it :happy:

Started my journey in August 2011. Just some background information though - Somewhere in 2009 i was sickly and suprise surprise my sugar levels was at 23 (normal is 4-6), liver was not in great shape and pressure was high. For a then 26 year old, that was pathetic but my life was in a downward spiral (for reasons i am not comfortable divulging in this forum) - so i was diabetic and had HB Pressure, started taking the medication but did not change my lifestyle or really anything - just took medication which can only help so much but ahh well, i was not bothered - we all going to die sometime right is what i kept saying ... all these people obsessed with health but i was creating memory after memory one party at a time, my life rocked or so i told myself. (If you look into my profile pics will see me at my heaviest - the picture where im carrying a KEG is like the height of my 'downward spiral').

For about two years after my diagnosis i changed nothing about myself but for some reason in August 2011, i made an appointment with the physician. I cant recall right now what my reason was but none the less something told me that hey, maybe there is more to life than this. Met with the physician and what a suprsing/life changing visit that was. His words still haunt me today/forever etched within me. So he sits me down and the conversation was something like this:

Physician: Why are you here today?
Me: Because i would like to be healthier.
Physician: Why?
Me: Because im tired of being obese and have all these ailments (i dont recall all my words but i do his)
Me: Because i want to change my life - i cant keep on going the way i am, im in a bad place.
Me: Someone ended up telling him sone of my problems .. (this took me by suprise, he pushed me to a level where i was uncomfortable but it was a relief getting it out as well)
Physician Ok, so you here now, the past has happened. Life is like a highway, sometimes, we miss our offramp, we drive a bit too far but its never too late to turn back. So, like you are here seeing me, you realise you have taken the wrong offramp. All that happens now is that you turn back and head back to where you were supposed to be. This just means its going to take a little longer but you will get there.

WOW - i was so touched by these words because im used to Doctors just seeing you for the cash and lets be honest not really caring but these words satyed with me because the message of HOPE was loud and clear. I was motivated, after visiting him - i went straight to the gym and signed up ... something inside me said, this is it - we changing our life!

So from August 2011 i started at the gym. My threadmill session lasted no longer than 8 mins walking on 6km/hours. The thought of running on a threadmill scared me, i always admired all the people running thjinking wow, these guys are good. Typical gym sessions when i started was 30mins (8 odd mins walking on a threadmill, 8 mins on a stepper, 8 mins on the eliptical and few mins here and there).Weighing in at 96-97kgs for a 1.68 was a little disastrous for my gym sessions but i had dedication - i was going to do this. Started shedding the odd kg every now and then (didnt go too drastic with my diet because i wanted something sustainable for the long run) and kept at it at the gym. The other thing i badly wanted to do was a spinning session as i used to see all these people coming out of the class all sweaty and tired but i never had the courage to go for it, thought i'd be a fool but none the less told myself i would do the class eventually. (Started spinning in November 2011 but not with extreme resistance).

So -Febraury 2012, i asked my friend if we could try a road run for some practice and for me to see how it felt. Remember after 100 or so meters my lungs were clapping, my legs were feeling weird but none the less kept up with a jog and walk ... more walk than jog but this was a start. Ever the enthusiast decided in April 2012 that i will attempt a 10km Nike night race in Johannnesburg (first one in South Africa). I remember running/jogging for mabout 800ms and then taking a walk break. Continued with my running and walking and completed the race in 1hr36mins but it did take 15 mins to cross the start line so officially about 1hr21mins to finish my first 10km race. None the less, it felt great, crossing that finishing line is an unbelievable feeling. I knew then that this would not be my last 10km. Was about 88-90kgs at this point in time.

So continued with gym/running/spinning/bootcamp type classes and healthier eating .... fast forward to this weekend:

Weighing in at 74kgs's .... Saturday morning 5:00am Warming up at home and stretching with push ups and crunches. 550am: 11 km road run in under an hour with a group. 7:00m Spinning class. 745: Bootcamp. 3HRS or awesomeness. Woke up Sunday and went for a 10km road race that i completed in 47mins40s.

Imagine hey - from 82 odd mins to 47mins and i had my best run ever. Started off slowly with my first 3kms in 14mins40secs and slowly picked up my pace. At 9kms i was at 42mins30secs and completed in 47mins. I was never overtaken during the race but overtook people - this means i was able to maintain my pace and speed up towards the end. I'm just so elated that i needed to put this out there. Whether or not it is read, i guess is inconsequential but appreciated none the less (if that makes sense). Oh, and i am able to now also spin without holding the handles. Been called fit by instructors anmd yeah there is so much too share. So if anyone is beginning their journey, just remember, its a marathon, not a sprint ... with hard work and dedication, anything and i mean anything is possible. Believe in yourself ... you are what matters! You! This coming from a person called nothing but a piece of LARD, the common couch potatoe ...if i can, anybody can!

PASSION ALWAYS!

Replies

• PieraO
    PieraO Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring - thank you for sharing - I read to the end....

Congratulations on your PB! :smile:
  • jeets888
    Options
    Thank you for reading .... it could not have been easy :drinker:
    :smile:
  • onefitsurvivor
    onefitsurvivor Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed your story. Be proud of your progress...you're back on the road to success!
  • jeets888
    Options
    Thanks Kelly.

I've got a long way to go and few demons to slay but yeah, was particularly prouder this weekend :)
  • jeets888
    Options
    Oh - forgot to include the discovery of MFP sometime last year as well (as part of my enablers). Definitely gives one great insight in terms of whatr we putting into our body and the support is phenomenal!
  • lovelygirls
    Options
    Man you did a lot of exercise at the weekend!! You should be so proud of yourself, that is seriously impressive!! And your story is very inspiring, thank you for sharing.

I was really pleased with running a 5km race on Saturday morning, longest run I have done in about 4 years and with no knee pain (I used to have dodgy knees from running ...and possibly from being overweight I guess!) not as impressive but still a NSV for me!
  • jeets888
    Options
    Thanks lovely .... yeah, I've noticed that running improves and injuries decrease as the weight drops (stretching and warms ups still a must though irrespective).

Awesome and congrats on your NSV - Tremendously impressive considering the longest run in 4 years and well, you know when you have a great run ... cant beat that feeling of Runners High hey!

Well done
  • Pootle2002
    Pootle2002 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    WOW WOW WOW.....What more can I say, totally inspirational :flowerforyou:

I am no mean a natural runner but I do occasionally run but very sporadic. I did my first 10k last year and did it in 1 hr 11 mins and 11 secs ( to be precise lol ) it made me felt soooo good but I have really gotten out of the habit. Your story has inspired me to go home and get out my trainers and start again....thank you :drinker: x
  • TheLoneMarmot
    TheLoneMarmot Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Excellent!

This just shows what can be done with persistence.
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You are amazing, congratulations on your PB and I can only see better to come. I am currently doing couch to 5k, had to stop for a week with an injury, but gonna start again this week, weather is a bit awful, but I'm determined to get out there. I too was diagnosed with high blood pressure and diabetes, which I am controlling with diet and exercise. So I understand that totally. You are my new inspiration, every time I go for a run and am finding it difficult I will think about your story and push myself on. Thanks for the motivation, I hope to do a charity 5k run next summer with a few friends. You have given me the faith to believe I can do it. You deserve a round of applause :bigsmile:
  • jeets888
    Options
    Thank you Pootle,Lone and Michele - appreciated.

Pootle - i know what you mean about being precise, every second counts and i count every second lol. I think i got to 1hr11mins in my third or fourth run. keep at it and with time the 1hr barrier will be clocked ... you will do it!

Lone: yes the persistance of peserverence ... we gotta keep at the grind hey!

Michele - my HBP and sugar levels absolutely normal, in fact, sometimes i think my sugar levels drop a bit low if anything. I tested my HBP a month ago when i had to do a fitness assesment (i was shocked to get a 5 rating which means Fit) and it was 122/81 ... with me smoking which i am now weaning myself off. Noticing is making a difference with my running as well. Be wary of your injuries but dont let it stop you in its tracks - work on excercises and strengthening until you able to run again and im glad you starting up again ... you will do well irrespective of time. I seen a tweet that read: Whether you walking or running, you still lapping all the people on the couch!

Thank you guys and please let me know how your running is going and i will do the same. My aim os for a sub 45 10km when i can and for a sub 2hr 21km first then work on sub 1hr50min 21km but these are goals for not the near future (hopefully maybe the sub 2hr 21) ... my big aim that i want to run in is end November a 32km race called the tough one!

Thanks again guys for the kind words!
  • TheLoneMarmot
    TheLoneMarmot Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Your doctor story was really inspiring.

It reminds me of my hairdresser in an odd way.

Every month when I go there he complains that this or that aches, that he's tired, has no energy. Everything annoys or upsets him it seems. His father died of diabetes. So, he's always going to the doctor, asking for tests, thinks he has cancer, or a heart problem. He's terrified of illness and dying.

Yet, he's about 1.65m tall, terribly overweight and has a huge belly, always eating biscuits, etc and wolfs his food down in 30 seconds like somebody is going to steal it. He takes no exercise.

But, instead of grasping the opportunity to do something with his life, as you have, he'd rather continue as he is living badly, worrying and going to the doctor.

I have a feeling this is not that unusual, sadly.
  • Rastamann
    Rastamann Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • jeets888
    Options
    @Rastamann - thanks and love the nick :bigsmile:

@Lone - Yeah, its very contradictory that he is worried about dying yet not living fully. Guess he is not ready to change as yet or the desire burns not big enough within him. Read an interesting quote something like 14 years ago (yes i do remember it because i used it the first time i lost 20kg's but then put it back + more) .. quote goes like this: "People dont change unless they feel sufficient pain to overcome their natural resistance to change" ... guess if one doesnt want it bad enough, no one can give it to them. Yeah, sadly it isnt unusual as i myself was once there and know plenty people who are there. Just wish i could show them that yes its difficult to get out of your comfort level, yes it wont be easy but its gonna be sooooo worth it!
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    That's like 12.77km/hour and that's really pretty damn good! Good job!
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Ohhh my goodness what an inspirational read all the way to the end! I love this soooo much! I love how you had that moment of change in your life and you just went for it! Wonderful Personal best! :flowerforyou:
  • jeets888
    Options
    Thanks Helpfit and Abs

@Abs - yes ... i had an epiphany and dam thankful i went for it there and then. I shudder to think what would be of me now had i not ??
  • jeets888
    Options
    Btw ... please feel free to add me. Tx
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I love how excited you are :) I get excited about all these little tiny things (like actually showing up at the gym, or smashing Day 1 Week 2 of c25k yesterday), but your stuff is much bigger and REALLY something to be excited about! Well done :)
  • jeets888
    Options
    @Vanessa -Tx but also no, there aint no bigger :smile:

I reckon if one doesnt keep their enthusiasm - motivation can be a problem so happiness for me - tx.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!