Age 53 and 56 lbs. lighter in one year!

Options
Wow…a whole year of MFP! Time sure flies when you’re determined! OK, so what can I say that will inspire the masses? Let me start by giving you a little background…

A year ago today, I was a 53 year old happily married wife and mom of 3, standing 5’3” tall, and weighing in at a whopping 225 lbs. I had my last child at age 40 and never lost the weight I had gained with that pregnancy. I never weighed myself in 13 years. The scale scared me. I was in total denial. I hated having my picture taken, and I rarely went out in public unless I absolutely had to because I was so ashamed of my body. I tried not to look at myself in a full-length mirror. And I insisted on making love with the lights OFF!

Being a full-time freelance writer and author, I spent a lot of time sitting at my computer. Exercise schmexercise – I was the human sloth and lovin’ every minute of it. I had the energy of a rock and was tired all the time. Naps were a twice-daily necessity. Food was my friend and my comfort, and we had a marvelous emotional affair for many years. Then one day, my doctor told me I was borderline diabetic, my cholesterol was through the roof, and my blood pressure was so high, she thought I would die on the examination room table! That was the day I started MFP. I thought my age would be my downfall. After all, what middle aged woman had ever lost a significant amount of weight? None that *I* had ever heard of! Then I read hundreds of success stories right here on MFP, and I was inspired.

My first week of MFP was a real eye-opener. I cannot believe how many calories I had been consuming every day! Logging every bite I put in my mouth taught me that I needed to learn portion control. Then I learned that exercise would kickstart my metabolism. Are you kidding me? Walking to the mailbox left me wheezing and gasping for breath, nevermind my “linebacker knees” that were both damaged years ago, then arthritis moved in as I got older. So I started slow. I got a used recumbent bike at a garage sale and nearly passed out doing 15 minutes per day on it. But I persevered.

I was miserable and hungry alllll the time....and since misery loves company, I decided to add some MFP “pals” with whom I could commiserate. But no, my pals were not the pity party type – they were drill sergeants who never let me complain, encouraged me every day, and gave me fabulous advice and information. Without them, I would not have lasted very long on MFP!

I stared out at 1,200 calories per day, and increased that to 1,350 after about 3 mos. when I added a treadmill to my daily exercise regimen. I learned then that weight loss is NOT linear – I gained that week, but eventually, my metabolism adjusted and the weight started coming off again. Eating 150 more calories a day was like sweet manna from heaven. I was no longer starving all the time!

I added more and more “pals” along the way, and each one contributed to my success in their own unique way. Best of all, I learned that dieting could be FUN, and my pals were certainly positive influences in that respect. Now I have 71 “pals” whom I consider my closest friends. These are real people who share not only my weight loss my journey but also my personal life, and I am humbled by and grateful for each and every one of them. I tear up as I write this, because I have never in my life felt as close to anyone as I do to my “MFPeeps”.

A year later, I have lost 56 lbs. I now weigh 169.5 lbs and can finally wear clothing off the rack! I can walk and bike for miles without running out of breath. My knees, though still damaged, are less sore because they no longer have to support my former obesity. I have the energy of a 12 year old, and I don’t sit still for very long. I feel 20 years younger, and some people say I look it, too. *blush* I started to enjoy life again, not just struggle to survive it every day. And I am now making love to my wonderful and marvelously supportive husband with the lights ON! LOL

In June of this year, I hit a major plateau with which I still struggle, and I still have about 30 lbs. left before I hit my goal. But I am confident that I will make it. With the support and love of my MFPeeps, how could I not succeed? I am “in it to win it”…one day at a time. After all, I have my whole life ahead of me, and I want it to be a long, fun, healthy one! If this middle aged former sloth can do it, ANYone can!

I truly suck at posting pics, so I hope these turn out OK...

This is me in 2007 with my gorgeous daughter at her university graduation...

FamilyPics131_zps7af7692b.jpg

...and this is me now (sorry, I do not do "selfies" very well!)...

FotoFlexer_Photo_zps9be28112.jpg

Replies

• katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Holy crap woman! I'm so glad you finally posted an updated selfie! look at that waist! hubba hubba :bigsmile: so glad we're pals - you're fabulous. x0x0
  • LeslieN65
    LeslieN65 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I love you and am honored to be your friend:-) And these pics are fantastic!!! What a strong and powerful and inspiring testament to strength, perseverance and commitment:-) xo
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Great work! You look terrific!
  • I will be 50 this year and I am in need of losing a good twenty. I guess that doesn't sound like much of a mountain but it is mine. lol
    Thank you for sharing your story. It is very inspiring to me.

Blessings!
  • kori333
    kori333 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Great story and a wonderful example of perseverance! Congrats!
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Bump!! You're my inspiration, Jana. :)
  • queenb39
    queenb39 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    That is a wonderful wonderful story. Thank you so much for the inspiration !! Keep up the good work !!!
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Options
    That is awesome if I can have a one year logiversary half as good as yours I will be happy, I am in for the long haul "this time"
    Congrats you look beautiful (before and after)
  • 52isit
    52isit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your inspirational story. Re-starting and recommitting to this weight loss journey at 54 I search out stories from women in our age range because I certainly know it doesn't get any easier. I know it can be done but I am inspired by your proof! (You are obviously in the right profession because your story is so well written, easy to read, fun and inspiring.) Thank You and GREAT work on your weight loss journey!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Aww, look at you!! Fab, just fab! And I must say I have a very similar story, started out weighing 225, but I have whole inch on ya at a whopping 5'4" lol! Lost 50 my first year here, another 15 the 2nd year, now hanging tight at 160 lbs. Feels great, doesn't it? So happy for you! xo
  • bwallace2012
    bwallace2012 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    honey, you were a beautiful fat girl. now you are a beautiful skinny girl. and an inspiration to the rest of us. soooo glad to have such a skinny, beautiful, up-beat friend! thanks........
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You are truly an inspiration and glad to call you a friend! :flowerforyou:
  • fit_at_fifty
    fit_at_fifty Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post, it is just what I needed. As you can see from my profile name I wanted to be "fit at fifty". Well that time has come and gone and two years later I am still where I started (give or take the odd pound). It is good to see someone of the same age and with a similar amount of weight to lose, or in your case have lost. Well done and thank you once again. Bought a hoola hoop today, just off out to use it, wish me luck :)
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Congrats and you should be so very proud. You look and feel great and there must not be a more awesome feelingl!!!!!!! You go girl!
  • TT64
    TT64 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You know I love you girl!!! Love being MFP peeps! In my best Billy Crystal impersonation I say to you............You look mahvalous dahling!!! xoxo
  • srgtbiggles
    srgtbiggles Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Great story Jana! You are Lookin' great! Just goes to show that even at our age, anything is possible. We have soooo got this!
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You are an inspiration.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for such an inspiring post. you look fabulous!
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Very nice!
    I had my last child at 41 and was also in ignore mode!
    Have started, stopped, started, stopped and now started
    this ME journey once again!
    My wonderful, supportive hubs gave me the gift of
    a "mommy makeover" last year (tummy tuck, boobs and
    thigh lipo) and I just looked in the mirror this morning and
    realized my fooompah, pouch, Dunlop, is starting to expand
    again. Not going back there!
    Thanks for your inspirational story!
  • 3momwrestler
    3momwrestler Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!