Will running get easier

Options
So I've been running at least 3 times a week for the past month. I tend to run different routes with different amounts of time but on average Im doing 15-22 minutes.
Obviously some days are easier than others but I doesn't feel like its getting any easier as a whole. Surely I should be able to run a bit further and a faster by now? And with a bit more ease?

By the way, if you're running to loose weight too, please add me :)

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It does get easier. For me, slowing my pace down helped a lot. And the first mile sucks the worst.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Running strategies are often really helpful. When I first started to run I was doing the 10 and 1s system. You alternate walking and running, (http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/running-101?page=single). The merit of this system is that for a new runner you will be less discouraged because of being in a structure, get a sense of your abilities, learn how to work on improvements (whether that is running a distance for the entire time, improving a PB on a distance run in a set time, or working on running for longer). The run/walk system is used by the Runningroom and they run their clinics that way. They encorage people to run races that way as well because from what I understand you time is not significantly effected by the stopping for a walk part of it over the distance (you would normally change pace at various times so it evens out). I found it to be very useful.

The biggest thing to running (apart from good shoes or a great bra - which judging by your photo is not going to be an issue for you) is that it is a head game. You are able to do what your mind decides you can. Sure you need to run safely and keep at a reasonable pace and not bite off more than you can chew - but you also have to realize that anyone who gets out the door to run has already got a huge edge on the next guy who stayed home and gave up instead...it is hard but at the end of it you feel like you conquered not only the run but yourself as well.

The good news is - and I can attest to this - running in particular (but exercise in general) is highly addictive...especially if you turn it into a game. You will learn to love it. If not the actual doing - then the results. Sitting down stretching after a 10KM I feel invinsable! Another thing I think is: No goals - no ambition. So set yourself up with some goals on the fitness side of things. For example, find out if there is a fun run in your area to participate in. Give yourself about 8-12 weeks (depending on your basic fitness level) and sign up. Having something you have signed up for will keep you motivated and honest - after all you don't want to spend $25 - $60 and then not do it.

Finally, reward yourself with gear. Beginner gadgets that I have: iPhone incase holder, Nike+ mileage chip shoe insert...I am a bit of a geek and so it is cool to log my runs automatically with that system (it works with iPods as well, and it likely works with other smart phones - but if not there are a load of these kinds of things that are relatively inexpensive). I also like to keep a log of the mileage on my shoes (the nike+ does that automatically for me) so that I don't wear shoes beyond a certain amount of KMs (I have pretty serious injuries that flare up if I don't change my shoes religiously).

Enjoy. One of the coolest things that you can do for yourself is to run. I have lost nearly 40lbs doing it. Did it before I was overweight (although babies and a significant brain illness stopped me) and my body didn't actually forget how to do it. Once you know you can and build your confidence you'll find it is a very liberating, and addictive hobby.
  • lstroth1
    lstroth1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It hasn't for me, but I have only been doing it about a month this time. I can't actually "run" much of the time just really fast walking with jogging/sprints thrown in. I have other health issues that are probably complicating it for me but I am hoping the day comes when this will be fun or less of a chore.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I did mention that I love running right? Sorry I waffled on a bit there but am VERY enthusiastic about it...

Not that you could tell...
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Yes. It will. You may need to build up the duration of your runs to get there, but eventually it becomes addicting and low effort. One thing that really helped me was the "Zombies, Run!" app. It's not cheap but it kept me engaged and turned running into a game. I don't use the app anymore because I now LOVE running.

For what it's worth, it wasn't until the 5k distance became "easy" and I started going longer than I began to experience the runner's high. Go slow - aim for distance/duration, not speed. Make it as low-effort as possible. Eventually it actually becomes relaxing.

I took most of the spring and summer off from running, then began training for a half marathon. The first two weeks of running were torture. I hated even my short runs and was questioning dropping out of my races. Then once I became conditioned to running again, bam - they became awesome. I spend all week looking forward to my Sunday morning long run! I am doing 12 next weekend and am giddy about it :)
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Go farther to go faster. So you shouldn't be setting the mile time on fire here. If you are huffing and puffing and so winded you can barely breathe, you are going too fast. At this stage, most of your runs should be done at a conversational pace, meaning that you could talk with someone while running. It wouldn't be easy but you should still be able to do so. IF you can't, you are too fast. You need more mileage before it becomes "easy." 15-22 minutes is what, about 2 miles? It is great that you are doing it, however, you need LONGER distances to make the shorter ones easier. I have been running for years, and the loop I live on still kicks my butt on a simple 2 mile run if I do hill repeats. Easy is subjective.

It is tempting to go fast, but your body and system aren't ready for it. So slow down and enjoy it. It shouldn't be painful to the point where you are an abusive relationship with it. There are some days I hate running and some days I would marry running 30 times. But even on the days I hate it, I love it still. It isn't for everyone though.
  • amandaeire
    Options
    I started doing couch to 5 k and at first the 60seconds killed me to run!!! I am now up to 5 min runs!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Run slower you'll find that helps. Don't worry if its the same speed as your walk speed will come in time. You should be able to hold a conversation and yes it does get easier
  • Krista916
    Options
    As a new runner, don't shoot for speed. You should be running slow enough to be able to easily hold a conversation if someone was next to you.

I'll plus the c25k app again. This is a GREAT way to build your distance. Speed will follow.

To answer your question, no. If it was easy everyone would do it. It never gets easier, you just get better at it. Keep plugging away at it. Don't give up. Best of luck!

ETA-I started running in Jan and an just now able to run a complete 5k. It's a slow process. You are not going to run a maraton in a month. The more you do it and stick to it, the better you will get.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I started doing couch to 5 k and at first the 60seconds killed me to run!!! I am now up to 5 min runs!

I started the C25k in April.....I'm running 7 miles now and I started out at 204lbs so believe me that you WILL get stronger. That's (in my opinion) what happens....yes you'll notice your times get faster, the distance you can go will increase, and maybe most importantly the "rest time" you are doing when walking makes your body recover quicker and quick so you can start right back up running after a short walk break. It's amazing and I highly encourage you to not give up. Not only will you be so proud of yourself and lose the weight...but it's the cheapest therapy there is for stress :) Keep at it...it's worth it!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    It gets easier and it will become addictive lol I used to only be able to run 1 minute before feeling like i was going to die, now I am training for a half marathon and i'm up to 10.5 miles.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Run slower you'll find that helps. Don't worry if its the same speed as your walk speed will come in time. You should be able to hold a conversation and yes it does get easier

Agree^^^ I call it the "barely making it shuffle", haha. But it does work. I started running in April. Back then, I couldn't make it once around the high school track without stopping. I ran my first Half Marathon two weekends ago. Took 2 hours, 9 minutes. Not too shabby for a beginner, no? :)

Good luck and don't quit.
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Keep at it and work on your stamina vs. pace. Last year I was running 3-4 times a week and was able to run an 8 minute mile, when I first started it was about 12 minute mile. I got off track after my last 5K in March and now I am back to square one. I know I will improve my pace once I can improve my distance.

First time I used C25K app, now I started with Ease Into 10K... love it! Keep at it, and yes you will have good days and you will have not so good days! Sometimes you never know.
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options

Agree^^^ I call it the "barely making it shuffle", haha. But it does work. I started running in April. Back then, I couldn't make it once around the high school track without stopping. I ran my first Half Marathon two weekends ago. Took 2 hours, 9 minutes. Not too shabby for a beginner, no? :)

Good luck and don't quit.

That is amazing, good job!
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you don't really have any kind of plan or anything to aim for with your runs. Like what was said before, running is 75% a head game. So if your brain knows you have a target, it will push you a little more. I'm not a fan of rigid training schedules as I just get disappointed with myself when I don't stick to them. If it helps, this is usually how I work it:

1. Choose a short route to start (2.5km for me).
    2. Run/walk/crawl whatever you have to do to cover that distance and time yourself.
    3. Every day you run, your aim is to walk less and less when completing your route...you'll notice your time coming down.
    4. The first time you complete the route without walking (or stopping!), complete and obligatory fist pump, and then...
    5. Choose a new, slightly longer route (3.5km maybe)
    6. Rinse and repeat.

Using this fairly simple method, I'm now working on completing a 6k route. I understand that this might not be ideal for everyone, but this method has pushed me up to 12km in the past so I like it :)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does get easier and that's one of the reasons I keep doing it. I hate when I start slacking off and have to start again, though thankfully, my body allows me to start back without starting at scratch. But either way, pretty much every run gets easier after you get past the first 10 minutes or first mile, whichever comes first.

I would strongly suggest doing the Couch to 5K training, though. It allows your body and lungs to build up at the same time.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It WILL get better, trust me. It definitely gets easier as you condition yourself and as you lose weight. For me, I think finding a route that I use all the time helps too because I have a more tangible grasp of how much further I have to go.

I have never been a runner and have found on several occasions that I set out to run a 5k and wound up doing a 10k. Keep it up, and make sure and pace yourself! Even still, I find it hardest from the 1st 1/2 mile or so to mile 2, and then after that, it's pretty smooth sailing (at least until 7 miles... that's the most I've done recently).

HANG IN THERE!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes, yes it does get easier. Don't give up before it happens!

Consider using a C25K (Couch to 5K) app to help you know that you are progressing along. I used Ease into 5K http://easeinto5k.bluefinapps.com/ .
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Try going the same route for awhile and check your times. I think you will get satisfaction seeing that your time is geeting better and soon you will have to extend the distance to get the time.

Basil
  • RuleFive
    RuleFive Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    No.