When would you start your first bulk?

Options
Hi there,

I'll start off with some stats first in case they help.

SW: 186
CW: Around 155
Male

Been dieting since December 2012, lifting weights since April 2013, but really I've just been on one long cut. I've made strength gains but naturally, haven't really made any gains in size. I'm aiming to only bulk up a bit, not to huge bodybuilder size, but maybe an extra stone in muscle?

I'm just getting to the point now where you can see the outline of abs, and I'm considering starting on a bulk, but would it be more beneficial if I started it at a lighter weight?

Complete newbie to bulks/cuts, so need all the help I can get!

Also, any bulk I do would not be with a huge surplus, I'm talking perhaps 2-300 calories over TDEE every day, if that sounds good?

Also, any lifting programmes you guys use would be good, absolutely no idea what I'm doing!

Thanks in advance,

J

Replies

• jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    5"9
    I'm about 20% judging by this: http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/
    At work unfortunately so cannot sort out any pictures! :)
    I want to be around the 15% bf mark, and don't particularly want to follow a huge bulk/cut cycle
    I currently do my own thing, usually: Chest Press, Shoulder Press, Pullups (Triceps), Chinups (Biceps), Pectoral Flies, Crunches, Arm Extensions, Bicep Curls, Leg Press
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The "benefit" will be the same regardless - added muscle mass.

IMO, then "when should I start" question is all about personal preference. Some time it around the holidays when they know they are going to be eating more (rather than trying to cut when all that food is around). Some start and stop based on body fat % or scale weight. Personally, I bulk when I can afford to look and feel a little more sloppy, which is generally mid-late winter for me.
  • jollyjoe321
    Options
    I don't feel fat, I feel I could look better with a bit less weight, but I don't feel fat at all!
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but it sure doesn't sound like bulking is what you want to do, not in the sense that bodybuilders do it anyway. Bulking is something usually done when a person is at a very low bodyfat to start with. It sounds like you really just need to focus on recomposition. I think you'd do well by eating at maintenance and lifting heavy 3-4 times a week and add in a little cardio on the non lifting days. That would help you to gradually build muscle, and lose a little bit of fat. Good luck.

P.S. add some more lifts for your legs like barbell squats and dead lifts. It will help you produce more of the hormones that stimulate muscle growth.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I don't feel fat, I feel I could look better with a bit less weight, but I don't feel fat at all!

Going by that statement, you should probably try to cut down to a little less BF. Most people cut to around 10-12%BF but that depends on the individual, then bulk to around 15%, again, depends on the individual. If you feel like at this point you still have some fat to lose, do it now. You will gain some fat while bulking no matter what. Obviously you want to keep the fat gain to a minimum but it's going to happen. Also sounds like your BF% estimate may be a little off right now because 20% at your height and weight seems way high, unless you have very little LBM. Sounds like you might actually be more like 15% or so right now, again, unless you have very little LBM. Hope this helps
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but it sure doesn't sound like bulking is what you want to do, not in the sense that bodybuilders do it anyway. Bulking is something usually done when a person is at a very low bodyfat to start with. It sounds like you really just need to focus on recomposition. I think you'd do well by eating at maintenance and lifting heavy 3-4 times a week and add in a little cardio on the non lifting days. That would help you to gradually build muscle, and lose a little bit of fat. Good luck.

P.S. add some more lifts for your legs like barbell squats and dead lifts. It will help you produce more of the hormones that stimulate muscle growth.

No offense... But the lifting and cardio to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time is not going to work. First because eating at maintenance is not going to support muscle growth. Second, eating at maintenance is not going to support fat loss. Yes, I agree, body recomp is "possible" but painfully slow, and should only be used by someone that is right around where they want to stay.
  • jollyjoe321
    Options
    Thanks Lenora, your suggestion sounds the most appealing actually, thanks! :)

I tend to notice that at the gym, when I workout, mainly on Bench and Shoulder Press, I lift as much as some guys who are bigger than me, which, although satisfying, is also annoying as outwardly I don't have a great deal to show for it! :sad:
  • jollyjoe321
    Options
    Woops, took too long replying, missed a couple.

My estimate might have been a bit off as I think the images I used for reference were guys who had a decent amount of muscle already, maybe it could be a bit lower, I could quote the figures I lift but I suspect you cannot really judge from that!
  • M1KEEC
    M1KEEC Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lenora, your suggestion sounds the most appealing actually, thanks! :)

I tend to notice that at the gym, when I workout, mainly on Bench and Shoulder Press, I lift as much as some guys who are bigger than me, which, although satisfying, is also annoying as outwardly I don't have a great deal to show for it! :sad:

There's no point in paying attention to what others lift they're on different routines to you, they might be lifting the same weight as you but doing twice as many reps or super setting etc just focus on what you do and always use good form
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I'm curious... do these suggestions come form your own experience? Formal education on the subject? Anecdotal reading?
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options

No offense... But the lifting and cardio to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time is not going to work. First because eating at maintenance is not going to support muscle growth. Second, eating at maintenance is not going to support fat loss. Yes, I agree, body recomp is "possible" but painfully slow, and should only be used by someone that is right around where they want to stay.

Well this guy is only 18, he stated he doesn't want to start the whole bulking/cutting cycle, and he's been primarily working on his upper body. Adding more leg work could be what he needs, and we all know as you build more muscle you burn more calories at rest. If he just adds calories and keeps doing what he's doing his 20% bodyfat is likely to increase more than anything else. He shouldn't be in a rush anyway at his age, this should be a lifelong pursuit and lifestyle.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    my gym has its share of high testorone teens and they work hard pushing to individual limits but not a one is putting muscle on as they have obviously missed the point and completely neglected how important it is to eat to gain..

Age as well as your lowish bodyfat allows you a golden opportunity to get this right and having seen what a year and a half on 5000cals a day did for me bulking old style when just a bit older, - to cut is just prolonging the time it ll take to pack real muscle on and if you get your training right you ll be suprised at what you can achieve in a short period of time.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jeff that you're probably lower than 20% bf. Our appearance in the mirror can be skewed due to bloating or some water retention. Unless you do a dexa scan, which is not 100% accurate, you have now way of knowing your true bf%. If you think you need to drop some bf, then do that. Stick to either bulking or cutting for at least 8 weeks. Don't bulk for 1, 2 or even 4 weeks then decide to cut for 1,2 or 4 weeks. You will just end up spinning your wheels.

Get on a good lifting program that focuses on compound movements, i.e, presses, deadlifts, rows, dips, pullups/chins and squats. Don't make up your own routine, find a template online and stick with it. Stick with the routine for at least 6 weeks. You can change exercises, sets and reps e.g, instead of barbell bench do dumbbell bench.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jeff that you're probably lower than 20% bf. Our appearance in the mirror can be skewed due to bloating or some water retention. Unless you do a dexa scan, which is not 100% accurate, you have now way of knowing your true bf%. If you think you need to drop some bf, then do that. Stick to either bulking or cutting for at least 8 weeks. Don't bulk for 1, 2 or even 4 weeks then decide to cut for 1,2 or 4 weeks. You will just end up spinning your wheels.

Get on a good lifting program that focuses on compound movements, i.e, presses, deadlifts, rows, dips, pullups/chins and squats. Don't make up your own routine, find a template online and stick with it. Stick with the routine for at least 6 weeks. You can change exercises, sets and reps e.g, instead of barbell bench do dumbbell bench.

^Yep.

Pick a proven program and get on a bulk/cutting cycle. If I was 18 again I would take advantage of the increased ability to gain muscle. Trying a recomp might work but will take much longer. You should get much better results in the same amount of time.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Keep going down, to about 145 ish, then bulk, as you're 18 you should get great results.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    my gym has its share of high testorone teens and they work hard pushing to individual limits but not a one is putting muscle on as they have obviously missed the point and completely neglected how important it is to eat to gain..

Age as well as your lowish bodyfat allows you a golden opportunity to get this right and having seen what a year and a half on 5000cals a day did for me bulking old style when just a bit older, - to cut is just prolonging the time it ll take to pack real muscle on and if you get your training right you ll be suprised at what you can achieve in a short period of time.

5000 calories a day? Seriously? Are you just throwing out random advice? Sure does seem like it.

Seriously... in that time i went from 11 stone to 15 stone 9 and was not fat but more suprising is my girlfriend at the time ate 3500 and was my spotter and did exactly what I did with less weight. and turned a pear shape into an hour glass. (me 13 inch to 18 inch arm her 10.5 inch to 13.5 )
    I learned all I could whilst working with a group od 30 who bodybuilded and a man that went on to be the worlds strongest man !