How do I prevent saggy skin?

Options
I am a mom, I have stretchmarks, I am 177 pounds right now and 5'5.
I want to be 135-140. I am afraid that my skin will sag after I lose this weight.

How do I prevent my skin from sagging/hanging?

Replies

• zombiewithtea
    Options
    Is sagging skin going to stop you from losing the weight? Probably not. At least it shouldn't!

The only advice I can give is to lose weight slowly, strength train and keep yourself hydrated. Other than that, there's no way to tell until you reach the end of your journey.

Good luck :)
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm told by many that it's important to lose slowly so the body can adjust to the lesser volume. Not sure how true that is, but I'm 54 Y/O and have lost 15 lbs over six months. I'm not sagging yet, so either I have good genes or this isn't a myth. Maybe someone else has some science-based information to share.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Is sagging skin going to stop you from losing the weight? Probably not. At least it shouldn't!

The only advice I can give is to lose weight slowly, strength train and keep yourself hydrated. Other than that, there's no way to tell until you reach the end of your journey.

Good luck :)

Love it! My dear mother-in-law qualifies her "girth" by telling us that she doesn't want to look gaunt so that's why she won't consider exercise or calorie reduction. It would take quite a weight loss for her to look "gaunt".
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Exfoliate your skin daily, and lose slowly to allow for the change. Your stretchmarks will start to fade, too! All in all, if you allow time for your body to feel the change you'll do just fine.
  • CEThornton
    Options
    oddly enough, you know how they recommend a shaper/support tank top after you have your baby to help your abdomen? think doing the same thing if you're really concerned :)
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Your age will dictate a lot of this - and how slowly you lose - but mostly your age...
  • Mamafred
    Mamafred Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I agree. Lose it slowly so your skin has time to adjust as you go and build muscle. You will probably still have some saggy skin but you will be healthy. :smile:
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Exercise, drink plenty of water and lose slowly:smile:
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I was afraid of this when I first started also. The best ways to prevent it are exercise, clean eating, tons of water, moisturizing and massaging the skin. By massaging the skin you make blood go to it and it helps regenerate the elasticity. Also if you have a soft bristle brush... brush your skin before you moisturize... it sounds weird but it feels so good and it does the same thing as the massaging does.

These are all techniques to prevent the excess skin however they are not guaranteed. It is dependent on your body and its skin. Also, It can take up to 2 years for your skin to shrink so be patient and lose the weight slowly (no more than 1lb per week). That will also help in the prevention as it will give your skin some time to catch up.

Hope this helps!
  • dramagirl1
    Options
    Hmmm all interesting suggestions.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    It is mostly genetic. If you have a lot of stretch marks, you are probably going to have some sagging skin. You can lessen the impact by losing at a reasonable pace, maintaining your lean body mass, and taking good care of your skin.

Given that you only have 40 or so pounds to lose, I don't really think this is going to be an issue for you. Most people who deal with loose skin are very, very overweight. Also, be aware of whether the "loose skin" is actually just skin or if it's subcutaneous fat that you can still lose via proper diet and exercise.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Being old enough to have saggy skin (!!!) it was the extra weight's affect on my face as flesh headed south that got me to lose 25 lbs and I'm now less saggy on face and body than I was so go for it and take the advice given above, slow but sure as this isn't a forum for diets but for healthy living, plenty of water so you don't dehydrate and exercise as much as you can. 40 lbs shouldn't be a problem. Good luck!
  • Bi1983
    Options
    I feel keeping your skin moisturised with lotion that has got vitamin e in it. Lose the weight steadily and keep your self hydrated works. The massaging motion of moisturising encourages blood flow to your skin and collagen production. Collagen is produced by our bodies naturally topical collagen products will have little effect. Oh and avoid sugary products these reduce the bodies ability to produce collagen apparently. :-)
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The #1 determining factor for whether or not you will have saggy skin is genetics. I'd rather have sagging skin than rolls of fat, though.
  • nmensen18
    Options
    I think everyone who's posted before me are giving great responses. I think it truly depends on YOUR body! For example, I'm 26 and I have one kiddo. My lower stomach does have some sagging from having my son and I dont know if there's really much I can do to get rid of it all - but like someone else posted, I'd rather have a little lose skin (from bearing a beautiful son) than having the roles and fat.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    It is mostly genetic. If you have a lot of stretch marks, you are probably going to have some sagging skin. You can lessen the impact by losing at a reasonable pace, maintaining your lean body mass, and taking good care of your skin.

Given that you only have 40 or so pounds to lose, I don't really think this is going to be an issue for you. Most people who deal with loose skin are very, very overweight. Also, be aware of whether the "loose skin" is actually just skin or if it's subcutaneous fat that you can still lose via proper diet and exercise.

I started at 175 and am approaching my goal of 140. I've lost VERY slowly (it's taken me since January), and I don't have saggy skin (but then I didn't have stretch marks). Unfortunately, I do have some of that subcutaneous fat, that I'll probably have to adjust my diet and exercise to banish!. :grumble:

Good luck to you!
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options

I started at 175 and am approaching my goal of 140. I've lost VERY slowly (it's taken me since January), and I don't have saggy skin (but then I didn't have stretch marks). Unfortunately, I do have some of that subcutaneous fat, that I'll probably have to adjust my diet and exercise to banish!. :grumble:

Good luck to you!

I'm pretty much the same, started at 177 and am 146 now (goal also140). I've been losing since march and don't think I've sagged much at all. I do have stretch marks on my hips but they are light and mostly due to a growth spirt in my youth. Subcutaneous fat is a whole other issue :sad:
  • fioraliz
    fioraliz Posts: 3
    Options
    I use a wrap that helps to tighten and firm the skin, its good for those who have already lost the weight or are currently losing. I've lost about 30 lbs and after two pregnancies the wrap has really helped keep my skin smooth instead of wrinkly or puckered.You can see my examples of clients on my facebook page, facebook.com/fiorawraps