How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
Are you weighing on a daily, weekly or monthly basis and what do you feel the benefit is
to your method. I have friends who are weighing every day, and some once a month. I myself, weigh in every week. It gives
me a since of accomplishment to look at the scale when my weight is going down. And it gives me a since of
accountability when it is not.

Replies

• Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Daily.
  • Hiskhaleesi
    Hiskhaleesi Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Daily. Sadly, it makes me feel obsessed... sometimes I weigh in as much as 5 times a day to see exactly how much fluctuation there is during the day with food going in/out. I get a feeling of accomplishment when I weigh the same/ less at night as I did at a first thing in the AM weigh.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I think its best to weigh yourself once a week or less. if you weigh every day you can get easily discouraged because of weight fluctuations/water weight etc. I try to do it every sunday in the morning to be consistent. Lately I have been slacking though and forget :P
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Once a week.
  • bbzgrl110
    bbzgrl110 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I only allow myself to weigh in once a week, on Saturday mornings. If I weigh in more than that the numbers mess with my head every time, so for me this works better.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Daily.

I weigh every morning before breakfast.

When I've sustained a loss for 3+ days I check-in on MFP with the new weight.

ETA: for me the benefits are knowing "for sure" which foods cause me to retain water (salty takeout Chinese), and not building up the weigh-in too much in my mind into a big event. It is just a part of every day for me and nothing to feel nervous about. I can also identify "trends" for example I tend to lose very very slowly most of each month and then see a more rapid decrease at TOM.
  • THenry8
    THenry8 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I often weigh myself every Monday morning. It lets me know if I have to push myself harder or easier depending on my weight loss.
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    once a month! preferably a week after my TOM is over
    And i take before and after pics almost every 2 months
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    If I do it daily, it leads to some very unhealthy behaviors, my body fluctuates a good 5 pounds in a week easy and if I obsess on that I will overcorrect. If I do it monthly, there isn't enough accountability and I usually flounder or forget what I'm suppose to be doing to lose. Weekly is like the porridge that's "just right" for me, but its a matter of preference.
  • LauraElectric
    LauraElectric Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Weekly, on a Sunday morning. I like to be able to keep track but daily would make my obsessive side come out. I chose Sunday morning as Friday and Saturday nights are my 'danger' times when I am likely to say "Sod this, I want pizza and wine" so having the prospect of a weigh in on Sunday keeps me on the straight and narrow....for the most part, I like to say "Sod this...in moderation" once in a while :)
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Once a week for the exact same reasons as you. At first I wanted to weigh daily but I found I was driving myself crazy that way so every Sunday morning I jump on.
  • SunnyD0913
    Options
    I weigh every morning. I understand that the scales may go up and down. BUT, if I don't weigh every morning, BEFORE shower and eating/drinking........I do not stay focused.

Darla from OHIO
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day for my own sanity, but only record it on Fridays.
  • dirtbikinchik
    Options
    Everyday, and its never a pretty sight ????
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    2-4 weeks
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Officially once a week , on a Tuesday . But I do torment myself by going on more frequently which I must stop !!!
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i try not to as it has a huge effect on my mental health:frown:
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    weekly/fortnightly
    sometimes once a month....just depends on how I feel !!
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Daily, so I can do this:
    z7538.png
  • JL2513
    JL2513 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I know it may not be the best habit, but I weigh myself once a day. I like watching my weight go down and when it goes up, it gives me more determination to do better. It also gives me a better sense of what works and what doesn't. Even once I switch over to maintenance mode (which is getting so close!), I think I'll still weigh myself on a daily basis. I want to catch changes as soon as possible to prevent my weight from creeping up and out of control. Of course, I also keep in mind that some things like water retention are responsible for the fluctuations- it's important to keep your sanity in check when you do weigh yourself as often as I do.