I have desk job and very little time

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I am only 5ft and my TDEE is 1245. So Ithought 1200 cals is enough for me. May be I am wrong. Weighed today and finally lost a kg. Hope I start losing now.

That's your BMR not your TDEE (just calculated it for you).

2-3 weeks is not a plateau.

Please see: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1098806-newbie-loss-plateaus-and-weight-loss-math-with-graphs
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    The most important thing right now is to understand what a good calorie deficit is for you and stick to it. Also, you need to make sure that you are honest and accurate with your calorie counting. Use a food scale and weigh everything. Most of the time the issue is that you are eating more than you think.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I am only 5ft and my TDEE is 1245. So Ithought 1200 cals is enough for me. May be I am wrong. Weighed today and finally lost a kg. Hope I start losing now.

That's your BMR not your TDEE (just calculated it for you).

2-3 weeks is not a plateau.

Please see: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1098806-newbie-loss-plateaus-and-weight-loss-math-with-graphs

This, plus.. OP.. if you start working out more, you're gonna have to up the cals even more.
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments below!
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    I am on a mission to lose weight but I have a desk job and working overtimes leave me with very little time, I live with roommates so get very little privacy as well. I walk to work (about 1.5 km) everyday and try to walk back as well if its not late. If I reach early I try to do cardio or zumba for 30 mins. around 4-5 times a week. I am 5ft tall and I weight 124 lbs now. For the last 2-3 weeks I havent lost any weight. I usually stay under 1200 cals per day. I dont know what I am doing wrong.

I have a desk job so I try and either get up early and go for a 1-2 mile run before work (20 min jog really) or I would park 1 mile away from work and walk for 15 mins there and 15 mins back or go for a 30 min jog at lunch time and eat at my desk when I get back (but we have showers at work so I can freshen up)

Lately I am into cycling so I will plan a cycle route to do when I get home, that way I know how long it should take me and where I am going then I can tell my BF what time I will be home and when dinner will be done etc

I think if you are truely super busy but you want to do more cardio set the alarm 1 hour earlier than it is currently and go for a run before work each morning :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Everyone else suggested you should have MFP figure your caloreis and follow that. That means eating MORE.

In terms of exercise, you're doing okay. I would also suggest doing stairs at work. Get a pedometer and see if you can hit 10,000 steps a day. It really helps.

Food, not exercise, determines weight loss. Exercise is critical though in 'earning' more calories so you can eat more and be healthier and look better.
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Everyone else suggested you should have MFP figure your caloreis and follow that. That means eating MORE.

In terms of exercise, you're doing okay. I would also suggest doing stairs at work. Get a pedometer and see if you can hit 10,000 steps a day. It really helps.

Food, not exercise, determines weight loss. Exercise is critical though in 'earning' more calories so you can eat more and be healthier and look better.

I have got a pedometer app which is not accurate but it gives me an estimate.. on the app i reach about 8000 steps a day.. I have started taking stairs already.. though climbing up to 8th floor is really killing :sad: :sad:
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    Get an extra large exercise ball to sit on at your desk to work on your core strength and posture. You can also get the pedals for under your desk that simulate bike riding. Granted, its not going to burn the same amount of calories as biking, but it's better than nothing. Make time to exercise either before or after work, too. You may have to sacrifice 30 mins a day of sleeping. No excuses! :)
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going to disagree with everyone who is telling you to eat more. I'm just under 5 feet (I round up though...) and 124 pounds. You mentioned that you lost a kilo... I think you just need to be patient. It also sounds like you're getting enough activity. If you do add more exercise, THEN I would say eat more. Or at least listen to your body - are you hungry? If so, then your body is telling you to eat more. Otherwise, just keep doing what you're doing. It takes time to create a large enough deficit to lose that pound or two. I have a desk job too, I walk as much as I can, I do 3-5 spin classes per week, 3 group weight lifting classes per week, and then add in runs when time permits. Some weeks I do more, some weeks I do less, but I also always eat between 1100-1400 calories per day, depending on how I feel. Some weeks I lose and some weeks I don't. Feel free to add me if you like!
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going to disagree with everyone who is telling you to eat more. I'm just under 5 feet (I round up though...) and 124 pounds. You mentioned that you lost a kilo... I think you just need to be patient. It also sounds like you're getting enough activity. If you do add more exercise, THEN I would say eat more. Or at least listen to your body - are you hungry? If so, then your body is telling you to eat more. Otherwise, just keep doing what you're doing. It takes time to create a large enough deficit to lose that pound or two. I have a desk job too, I walk as much as I can, I do 3-5 spin classes per week, 3 group weight lifting classes per week, and then add in runs when time permits. Some weeks I do more, some weeks I do less, but I also always eat between 1100-1400 calories per day, depending on how I feel. Some weeks I lose and some weeks I don't. Feel free to add me if you like!

thats sounds like something I can relate with though I cannot stay very consistent with exercise though I try my best to. Even if I dont get the cardio I make sure I walk to and back from walk and take the stairs every opportunity I get. I have also made it a point nowadays to take a brisk walk while talking on phone with my bf or family. 1200 cals makes me pretty full and satisfied most of the time but then I dunno if the measurements are quite correct for indian foods on MFP. Sometimes i feel like m underestimating or overestimating.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options

I'm curious how you walk to work, work out 30 minutes a day a few times a week and have such a low TDEE? I think you might need to recalculate. You should definitely be eating more than 1200 calories.
  • nathotte
    nathotte Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, stop making excuses for yourself and make yourself a routine that you can stick to. If you need to be accountable to someone get a PT, will make you accountable and also teach you routines you can do on your own time as well. We all have work, and life and 24 hrs in a day isn't long enough for anyone but starting at 9... I'd be up at early enough to get in a full hour of either weight training or cardio. Weight training will also help you lose weight and also assure you are losing the fat and building the muscles at the same time.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?
  • Fitres1
    Options
    I had the same problem. I consulted with my physician and he advised my on a specific calorie plan to fit my body and my body only. You can not depend on what advise you get on a message board. Consult with a physician first. I was also recommended to buy a unit for my home because I had trouble getting any time in for a work out. So i went out an purchased an Arc Trainer form The Fitness Resource. Great deal, worth every penny. Cant put a price on health!

http://www.thefitnessresource.com
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I work full-time and have two kids. I get up bright and early before 5 a.m. to workout, only time I can.

As well, you need to eat more calories than that.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    We all find the time to do the things we want to.. Schedule exercise just like any other appointment. Thinkgs that you do like walk to and from work aren't really exercise anymore because your body is used to it and becomes very efficient at doing it and using the fewest calories for that.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and am usually busy in the evenings--I have a son who has activities in the evenings, and I am usually responsible for dinner (and other general household/life responsibilities). I wake up at 5:20 every morning to work out at 5:30 a.m., and go to our corporate gym to lift for about an hour 2-3 times a week. It is a matter of whether or not you are motivated and have found exercises that you like, and getting your diet (in the general sense) in order.
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    The 30 days shred sounds good.. I know I have a lot of excuses but at the same time it took me a lot to start exercising which I havent done in like 10 years.. Now I am just trying to keep myself motivated.. and work at it slowly. I know it will not happen overweight and I am gonna fall from the wagon.. especially since festive time is coming for us next month and I am going home
    lol, even now you acknowsledge the excuse you put a couple in there haha

I haven't exercised for years either and on top of the bad food, i smoked, also smoked weed and was a alcohol addict, so, beside my weight being a obstacle with exercising how you think my stamina was/is after years of abusing ;)

Yes it sucks, yes it hurts and yes alot of times you will think, "what the hell am i putting myself through"

Well. welcome aboard, alot of us have that :)

Ow, when you go home and have festival month, no1 is forcing to stuff your mouth ;)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am on a mission to lose weight but I have a desk job and working overtimes leave me with very little time, I live with roommates so get very little privacy as well. I walk to work (about 1.5 km) everyday and try to walk back as well if its not late. If I reach early I try to do cardio or zumba for 30 mins. around 4-5 times a week. I am 5ft tall and I weight 124 lbs now. For the last 2-3 weeks I havent lost any weight. I usually stay under 1200 cals per day. I dont know what I am doing wrong.

As you get closer to goal weight loss will be slower..... you have to be patient.

You could definitely be getting enough cardio walking to & from work. That really can be considered a workout if you are pushing yourself. Work on your walking speed .... carry some light handweights to bring your heart rate up a bit more. If you're worried about sweat, keep some baby wipes and extra deodorant in your desk drawer.

Then you could skip Zumba and cardio altogether and put in some time strength training instead. Cardio is great for builing endurance... but you need strength training to maintain muscle mass while eating at a calorie deficit. Strength trainig is great for losing inches.... this will make a difference.
  • kristina1709
    kristina1709 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I work 830-530 every day. I have to get myself up at 6 to get myself and my 2 year old ready. I dont get home till almost 6 at night. That's not a lot of time to make dinner and care for my son. I ALWAYS find the time. If you want it bad enough you will MAKE the time. Just give your self a half extra hour in the morning to go walking.
This discussion has been closed.