Are you a person that has to go to the gym to workout?

Options

Replies

• jimethanowen
    Options
    I do both, but I tend to work harder when at the gym and burn more calories!
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I would prefer not to use a gym, but I'm doing some strength training right now, and I need access to stuff I don't have and do not want to install in my home. I also work out at home with DVDs as well as biking and kayaking and walking.
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If I try to do indoor workouts at home, I will get distracted by the MILLION things that I haven't finished yet.W hen I was running, I would struggle with the motivation of actually getting my butt out of the house. Once I was going, it was fine. My current gym requires an appointment time, so if you don't show up they will CALL YOU to find out why. The accountability has been a huge help for me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that people I work with/go to college with HAVE to go to the gym or they won't workout. Is it lack of motivation?

I've done both but I'd rather work out at home and go for a walk/run than to a gym.........I'm not really fond of machine since they only try to stimulate what you can have by just using your own body and what is around you.

I won't work out at home.

it isn't that I'm not capable. I have- and occasionally I will- but I have SO much going on at home- so much stuff- that is difficult. I have cats- and a nasty *kitten* dog (so the floor- despite the fact it's swept and mopped 2x a week) is still not something I want to on... at all)

I also have a roommate. a nasty- digusting- sloppy- gross roommate.

and I just don't like it.

the gym is MY space- away from my funky house. My house is not my sanctuary- it's not a relaxing place- it's dirty- and full of my stuff and his stuff... and stuff i can't do anything about. It's got all my projects in it- the internet- the sewing- music- food. Too much other stuff going on. I much prefer to just go to the gym.

So no- not a lack of motivation. I go to the gym at 9 PM at night- sometimes I got 2x and I have to go back... it's not a lack of motivation. it's that I dislike working out at home.
  • Jaided35
    Options
    I like to workout at home. I have a lot of fitness DVDs. I find it easier to workout in pjs then to get all my stuff together, walk there, workout, make sure I got all my stuff and walk home. I do go when my daughter asks me to go though. I like the variety of machines etc. In 3 years since I had my membership and I only pay about $15 a month, I have lost 10 lbs, gained back 12. at home I've lost 10 lbs and kept it off.
  • forthehungergames
    Options
    No, but I do prefer it sometimes! Sometimes I go hiking or running or walking outside instead.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Yes- I am not disciplined enough to workout consistently at home. I get distracted by kids, the cat, chores needing to be done... at the gym, I can pop on the headphones and focus on myself and my workout. And although I know no one is paying attention to me, I find I push myself more when I'm around other people. Additionally, my current routine employs equipment that I do not have and currently cannot afford to put in the apartment I'm renting.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I've been doing all my working out at home even my heavy lifting....BUT I now have to join a gym as my weights are increasing and I don't currently have the space for a squat rack and bench. My husband was being my squat rack but that's not always practical.
  • Krista916
    Options
    I have to go to the gym to workout. I won't do it at home because life gets in the way. I have so many things to do when I get home from work, I focus on household things and never make time to workout at home.

I get up at 4:30 am and get my workout done before I go to work then after work I don't even have to worry about it.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am!

I go 5-6 days a week, because I simply can't find the motivation to work out at home. Sometimes I'll take a "day off" and go for a bike ride or trail run instead of going to classes or my usually workout routine. The gym is also on my way home from work, so it's never really out of my way.
    I'm still new to my city, so the little bit of social interaction during classes is good for me.
  • Caliban036
    Options
    I never go to the gym. I use Mark Lauren's "You Are Your Own Gym" program. 4 to 5 workouts a day all in the comfort of my own home. It's great. I highly recommend it!
  • MammaMouse
    Options
    I can do both. I do prefer the gym a little more however, as I prefer lifting to cardio and can't lift at home as a) I'm too poor to afford weights and b) there is no room for them in my little basement suite. I do a lot of home videos though. Anxiety issues prevent me from doing any running outside, although hopefully one day I'll get over that too.
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I live in a 3rd floor condo. I don't want to be that jerk who makes all the noise on the top floor. Plus, its a small condo. At home the cat will just twine herself around my feet and be in my face meowing at me for not devoting all my time to her. And then I have to move the coffee table, the rug, and a chair to get enough clear space to do my DVDs in - that is, assuming my husband isn't watching TV in the living room or something. Plus, I really am lazy, if I go home, I am much more likely to sit on my couch and watch TV than I am to work out. I could go outside and walk or something, but I am not really an outdoorsy person what with the bugs and humidity and nature out there.

When I lived with my parents I used to work out in my teeny bedroom there. But it was all I had as there were no gym around for me to go to. Now that I have a gym, I don't think I would go back to my videos unless I had to!
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yes, I definitely am. I can workout at home, but I get a WAY better workout at a gym class. I find going really motivating and easy to keep in the habit of going.
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I swim and do water aerobics. So I have to go to the gym! Getting dressed, packing my stuff and going there makes it a serious endeavor so I am sure to get my workout done. Depending on where I go, I also get the treats of using lots of water exercise equipment, a jacuzzi, a sauna, their towels that I don't have to wash and taking a loooong shower with water I don't have to pay for.

Even at home, I make a ritual of showering, getting dressed in my special walking outfit (including hat with a brim) and going out for my walk. Makes me feeling like I am DOING something. :)
  • AndrasLOHF
    AndrasLOHF Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Nope, but I do love going. I personally try to keep a balance. Things like biking, walking I'd much rather do outside than feeling like a rat on a machine. Interval training and stretching I'll do that in my own home or in the backyard. As far as strength training goes though I'd much rather be in a gym.
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My gym time is my ME TIME. I drop the little guy off to the daycare and have an hour (or two, if we get out the door early enough) with nobody to answer to but myself. Sometimes I'll do some zumba or play with the wii fit at home, but I can't say I'm a fan. I don't get that same "it's time to go to work" feeling like I do when walk in the doors of the gym. It's also nice to have the options open, I can either go the fitness center or I can swim some laps. If we want, my son and I can go swimming after I finish my workout. It's a perfect way to spend our mornings. :smile:

The biggest exception is running. I would much rather run a trail then on a treadmill... I don't know why, but my feet always cramp when I'm running on it. Outside is also prettier, more interesting and usually smells better than the gym. :laugh: The other big reason I prefer outdoor running is my hubby & son usually join me. Right now we take turns pushing him in the stroller but I'm hoping that my son will ride a bike and/or run with us as he gets older.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yup, I moved into the second floor apartment, too, and that was the end of my relationship with Chalene, not to mention my urban rebounder. It does make for a pretty space heater stand, though. I've tried some quiet things like yoga but couldn't stick with it. Then the gyms I attend keep enticing me with fresh workouts (new releases, old stuff I haven't done before), that its just an addiction. Yeah, I do have to go to the gym. The options are fantastic, while those at home are...not
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I go through spells where I stick to at home workouts, but I generally end up signing up at the gym again. I work nights so I find I can go thrash it out in the gym for an hour after work & feel great. If I went straight home I'd be snoring on the sofa before I hit play on a workout dvd.

However, I also go jogging with my dog's down at the dene 5mins from my house. I guess it's just a balance of whatever is available/convenient to the individual.
  • addictedtoskinny22
    Options
    I don't have to go to the gym to workout. I don't even have a gym membership. I workout to exercise videos and I ride my bike a mile or more a day!