Will running get easier

Options
13»

Replies

• Axe34
    Axe34 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Here's the Top 10 things I've learned about running over the last three months....

1. Just getting out the door is one of the biggest obstacles to overcome when you first start. Once you're out, you're golden.

2. If you're new to running, use a program like Couch25K. Don't just throw on sneakers and run until you can't run any more. You'll end up injured and/or discouraged.

3. The first month is hard. It seems like it will never get easier. It won't, but it will be a new type of hard. An enjoyable hard.

4. Even if you've only started running, call yourself a runner. You are.

5. There are few things as beautiful as a woman running with a ponytail flying behind her. =-)

6. Set goals. They motivate you and track your progress. Celebrate when you hit them.

7. Running won't solve non-health problems by itself, but it will give you the time and space to solve them on your own.

8. Remember to build in rest days. Your body needs to recover to keep you physically and mentally motivated.

9. When you think you're about to hit your limit, you usually find out you're nowhere close to it.

10. There is greatness in everyone. You have to decide if you're going to go look for it or turn your head and look away. It's entirely up to you.

And one bonus one....your body will never lie to you but your brain sure as hell will.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate running !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will walk the legs off a cow but I HATE running...... And like you I still get out for my daily torture.. Maybe one day it will get easier or I at least won't hate it. Maybe winter will help.....
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Here's the Top 10 things I've learned about running over the last three months....

1. Just getting out the door is one of the biggest obstacles to overcome when you first start. Once you're out, you're golden.

2. If you're new to running, use a program like Couch25K. Don't just throw on sneakers and run until you can't run any more. You'll end up injured and/or discouraged.

3. The first month is hard. It seems like it will never get easier. It won't, but it will be a new type of hard. An enjoyable hard.

5. There are few things as beautiful as a woman running with a ponytail flying behind her. =-)

6. Set goals. They motivate you and track your progress. Celebrate when you hit them.

7. Running won't solve non-health problems by itself, but it will give you the time and space to solve them on your own.

8. Remember to build in rest days. Your body needs to recover to keep you physically and mentally motivated.

9. When you think you're about to hit your limit, you usually find out you're nowhere close to it.

10. There is greatness in everyone. You have to decide if you're going to go look for it or turn your head and look away. It's entirely up to you.

And one bonus one....your body will never lie to you but your brain sure as hell will.

:heart:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Running doesn't become easier. However, you will go farther and faster with the same amount of effort. Also, you will always believe that you are slow - all runners do.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options

:heart: This!

PS...For me the running has good days & bad days....but the after every run (good or bad) I feel great!:drinker:
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Not easier. You'll just get better at it.

That being said, I have this runner buddy that lives about 700 miles south of me. So we don't run together often, but we do have a wrekly Monday morning phone conversation where we talk about our long runs over the weekend.

When he asked how my first 15 miler went, I told him, "It was easy."

But I started out in 2010 running 5 mins at a time building all the way to 12 minutes at a time before getting into a cycle of sickness I couldn't over come.

I tried running again in 2012, worked up gradually and now I can run. Just keep at it, run slower than you think you need to and eventually you'll get there!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.
    You'll eventually be able to run your routes easier and faster (one month is not nearly long enough to notice a change), so yes.
    You'll start to add speed and distance and it'll be a struggle with each new addition to your routine, so no. You'll never stop improving.

Start by jogging very slowly. Don't think about your speed; think about your endurance and covering the distance. Go slow.
    Are you following a training program? If not, I recommend C25K. It will help you achieve your goals.

Don't give up. It takes time and then more time.